I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Muy, Muy Micro Tip Top
Posted by: Mark Talmo (71.147.59.---)
Date: September 16, 2019 07:15PM

I was given (thank you, Norman) some ultra-micro, single-foot guides WITH INSERTS a few years ago. Since I rarely use smaller than #5s, these have just sat in a box. Now, I have found a use but cannot find an appropriate tip top WITH INSERT. I would prefer black to match the guides, braces attached to the tube on the ring side, and a ceramic ring ID of ~.058in. Again, that would be preferred but I also realize beggars-can’t-be-choosers. I have no idea what ring size these tiny guides are with a .058 ID; a 2 or 3? Heck, that isn’t even a 1/16in! While I could use one of the guides for the tip top, simply looking at it wrong would break the tiny thing off. Any help will be graciously appreciated.

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Muy, Muy Micro Tip Top
Posted by: Dennis Danku (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: September 16, 2019 07:47PM

What tube size do you need?

Dennis J. Danku
(Sayreville,NJ)

Date: September 16, 2019 08:08PM

Dennis,
There ya’ go asking all these technical questions lol! I should have included the tube size of 5.0.
Thanks, whatchagot?

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Date: September 16, 2019 09:21PM

FUJI BMCOT-5

Dennis J. Danku
(Sayreville,NJ)

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: September 16, 2019 09:42PM

4mm is the smallest ceramic insert mini tip top. If you need a smaller one install a guide as the tip top. Fuji goes down to 3.5 mm guides, Batson made the really small ones, down to 2 mm.
, I still have some.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/16/2019 09:45PM by Spencer Phipps.

Date: September 16, 2019 10:06PM

Denis,
Thank you for attempting to help! I have never work with these really tiny micro guides; hence I am unfamiliar with ring size verses actual ID in inches. I do utilize Fuji’s #5 Alconite guides and tip tops with their actual ~.110in ID but that is considerably larger than the present guides of .058in. What the heck ring size should I be looking for to correlate to an actual ID of .060in?

Mark Talmo

Date: September 16, 2019 10:16PM

Denis,
Thank you also for attempting to help. Without waiting for additional replies, you may have what I need. Do you have your mentioned Baton size 2 tip top with a 5.0 tube?

Mark Talmo

Date: September 16, 2019 10:22PM

Mark, I have smaller ring sized tip/tops but, the tube size is a lot smaller than #5 (the size you need).
Check with Spencer, He may have it.

Dennis J. Danku
(Sayreville,NJ)

Posted by: Gary Weber (173.241.113.---)
Date: September 17, 2019 07:38AM

Looks like Hydra to left (kignan) has size 4 ring, size 5 tube black tip top.

Posted by: Thomas Kaufmann (---.mobile.att.net)
Date: September 17, 2019 08:06AM

4mm is the smallest you will find in a tip top with a 5 tube. I love those #2’s. They are perfect for me, especially drop shot rods and other finesse stuff or rods using braid up to 30. I have very successfully used them on casting rods using 12lb test, if I am using anything over 12 I will use, 2.5’s and 3’s. I personally don’t like to use anything bigger than 4’s.

Tom

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: September 17, 2019 10:38AM

Mark - Those micro guides I gave you I think are 2 mm. I gave them to you when you were complaining about how small size 5 micro guides were, just to give you an appreciation on how small real micro guides are. Everyone is correct the smallest ring size in a ceramic tip top will be a size 4, I’ve never seen them any smaller. Maybe there might be some with size 3 ring, but I haven’t seen them. If you need more of these guides let me know and I’ll give you another pinch of them.
Norm

Posted by: James Clark (---.mobile.uscc.net)
Date: September 17, 2019 11:46AM

Norman, I would be happy to buy some of those micro guides from you. I am interested to try some truly micros on a build.

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: September 17, 2019 12:27PM

James, email me, I’ll be more than happy to give you some.
Norm

Date: September 17, 2019 04:57PM

Thank you very much to all replying and attempting to help. It appears the general consensus is that the smallest tip top with an insert is a 4mm. So what do/did builders use for a tip top, go up 2 sizes to a 4mm? That seems to be somewhat defeating the purpose of using such tiny guides. Additionally, a TT that much larger than the guides would stand-out like a red-headed step-child. I see that PacBay FM TTs come in a 3mm but without an insert, the actual ID might be as large as a ringed 4mm. Does “Nano Micro” only build guides or do they offer TTs as well?
Unless one of you has any additional suggestions, I may have to use one the 2mm guides as a TT as I originally mentioned and Spencer concurred. I hesitate to do so simply from a durability standpoint. Norman, don’t be giving all those guides to James; I may need a few more for backup replacement TTs!
Thanks again for everyone’s help!!!

Mark Talmo

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.97.252.156.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: September 17, 2019 08:48PM

If tip ring size has to match runner ring size I'm afraid I've built an awful lot of rods incorrectly.

Date: September 18, 2019 01:03AM

Lynn,
I am certain your builds are more than top-notch. I am simply questioning the benefit of using a 4mm tip top to follow 2mm running guides. The inverse would seem more practical.

Mark Talmo

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: September 18, 2019 01:27AM

It took many years and a major design change from the manufacturers to make the micro tip design we have now and the line does have to change direction at the top without getting into the blank, or jamming/ causing excess friction. As mention before at about 12 lb line I'm looking at installing a #6 tip top.

Posted by: Thomas Kaufmann (---.mobile.att.net)
Date: September 23, 2019 07:46PM

Update update update..... pac bay made an xfzt03-5.0

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster