I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Rod with crooked/kinked tip
Posted by: Albert Harrison (95.147.111.---)
Date: September 13, 2019 03:39PM

Hi Guys

I've just picked up a new old stock Shakespeare Valor match rod, and all looks good apart from a somewhat crooked/kinked tip section half way down.

Is this going to be usable or likely to pose as being a weak spot liable to breaking, please?

I can't find any way of posting images to show the problem, so please accept my apologies for this.

Many thanks in advance for any input on this.

Edit; here are some images uploaded to an image host site - [ibb.co]
[ibb.co]
[ibb.co]

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 09/13/2019 03:45PM by Albert Harrison.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Rod with crooked/kinked tip
Posted by: Spencer Phipps (172.58.45.---)
Date: September 13, 2019 04:21PM

Not much of a bend/kink, fish it, no problem with durability.

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: September 13, 2019 05:33PM

It appears that the section was exposed to high heat at some time, the way it bends should not causes a problem fishing.

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (72.239.229.---)
Date: September 13, 2019 06:49PM

A fish pole is a lot like a rifle. If it keeps shooting in the same place it is functioning perfectly. It is the responsibility of the user to adjust that location.

Posted by: Mark Talmo (71.147.59.---)
Date: September 13, 2019 09:54PM

Albert,
That is a pronounced distortion! And I thought some of my vintage FG Conolons were tweaked! You have received three previous replies from reputable builders unanimously agreeing to use it, build it, and fish it. All three might also agree on building on the straightest axis, and I would concur.

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Date: September 14, 2019 04:37AM

Thank you all for your educated replies - I'm very grateful.

I did ask this same question on an Angling forum, but the general consensus was to return it for a refund.

I'm more inclined to go along with the recommendations on here, though, as you'll know more about the physics of these things more than the average Joe angler.

So, in a nutshell - just use it?

Also, by looking at the images prior to dispatch, the tip on this looks straight - so would this probably suggest the courier has perhaps left the rod upside down in a depot near a radiator or other source of heat? IE - the tip with all the weight of the section subjected to it.

It was sent in a thin makers rod bag inside a tube for what it's worth.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/14/2019 04:44AM by Albert Harrison.

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.97.252.156.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: September 14, 2019 09:08PM

Exactly how old are we talking here? When were these rods originally sold? Where can I view these rods?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/14/2019 09:15PM by Lynn Behler.

Date: September 15, 2019 05:26AM

Hi Lynn,

I've tried to post a link to the well known selling site were I purchased it from, but the forum doesn't allow it.

The rod is a Shakespeare Valor with a manufacturer's code of 1823 390. It's a 13ft Match Rod for light use.

After a bit of research & digging around, though, I've found these were available & in production around 2004 to 2005 - not the 1990s as the seller states in his description.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/15/2019 05:28AM by Albert Harrison.

Posted by: David Baylor (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: September 15, 2019 01:08PM

I'm working under an assumption here, and we all know the old saying about making assumptions .......... My assumption is that your description of this rod being "new old stock" has lead the members of this site to believe that there is no warranty either from the manufacturer or the seller, on this rod.

I only assume this because I find it hard to believe that any of them would find this rod acceptable. I certainly wouldn't. Whether or not the extreme deformation (and it is extreme) of the tip affected the rod's performance is a moot point. That simply is not right.

As to what would cause that to happen, I would be of the opinion that the builder built on the blank with it already in that condition. If it in fact did happen after it was built, whatever it went through to get in that condition would have be questioning its physical integrity.

I'd see if I could send it back ......... if not I'd be trimming the tip and rebuilding the rod. Either way, wouldn't use it the way it is.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/15/2019 01:09PM by David Baylor.

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.97.252.156.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: September 15, 2019 09:12PM

I have seen Berkley lightning rods from the factory with tips just like this. Early eighties.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster