I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

8 ft Tarpon live bait blank recommendations
Posted by: Daniel Kerr (---.mobile.att.net)
Date: September 12, 2019 10:08AM

Does anyone have a blank recommendation for slinging pogies and big mullet. Im looking for a light weight(as in the blank weighing light) 8ft probably 40 or 50lb class. Ive got a new 30oz Daiwa BG 6500 with 50lb 832 braid to put on it.

Thanks
Dan

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/12/2019 10:10AM by Daniel Kerr.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: 8 ft Tarpon live bait blank recommendations
Posted by: James Taylor (---.wavecable.com)
Date: September 12, 2019 11:03AM

We have a few different options in our RainShadow lineup
RX7 SW967, very popular model in Florida with a Mod-F tip - [www.rainshadowrodblanks.com]

RX6/E-Glass RCLB79ML, similar to the above but with an X-Fast tip - [www.rainshadowrodblanks.com]

Or if you want to go all out with a USA made blank our Judge JDGLB80ML - [www.rainshadowrodblanks.com]

James Taylor
Batson Enterprises
BatsonEnterprises.com | RainShadowRodBlanks.com | ALPSForeCast.com | Build2Fish.com

Posted by: Bob McKamey (---.se.biz.rr.com)
Date: September 12, 2019 11:35AM

Hello Daniel - Overall a glass blank will be much more durable. If that is the case and you are looking for the most durable and powerful rod blank, a CRB Gator - [www.mudhole.com] - It also has a softer, moderate type tip flex for a 50 lb rod blank, which many anglers prefer to offset for the jump in the Tarpon. Another very good choice would be the CRB Value E-Glass - [www.mudhole.com] - Thank You

Bob McKamey
Mud Hole Custom Tackle
bobm@mudhole.com

Edited 7 time(s). Last edit at 09/12/2019 12:59PM by Bob McKamey.

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: September 12, 2019 03:53PM

Rodgeeks XC 804 or 805. THere are a couple of charter captains in SAniubel/Captiva who have been using these all season for themselves, and their clients. You specified lightweight, the 804 weighs in at 5.2oz, and the 805 at 6.5oz. The lifting power of these blanks is insane, the way the blanks are constructed gives them an extreme amount of power, while keeping the weight of the blank way down. THese are composite blanks, Carbon (graphite) and S-Glass - so they are not stiff brromsticks so casting the baits there is a nice cushion so they don't fling off. Here is the link to the entire XC line [rodgeeks.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/12/2019 03:56PM by Billy Vivona.

Posted by: benjie bates (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: September 12, 2019 11:26PM

I’m finishing up the XC 804 and 805 builds now

Just need to wrap guides. I’ve fished my 734 so I feel they have the power but no on the water experience with either

I’m running Penn Slammer 3’s, 7500 on the 805 and 6500 on the 804

I’m going 65lb and 80lb mazcuatro PP on mine.

Alright so I put and I don’t remember now how much but I think a 1.25oz tungsten flipping weight in the butt of my 804

In hand with either reel and the 7500 is around 30oz the 804 feels way better in hand and balance and feels much lighter.

I’m running titanium Fuji kw on both but with rv’s On the first 2 of the 804. All kw on 805

The 805 is just a heavier feeling rod but has more power for sure.

I’m glad I have both but can’t recommend one over the other until I fish them. Wish I had actual experience

Where are you and where are you fishing???

I would definitely play around with weights and balance , Billy I might be wrong in doing so

But that 804 feels amazing with the added weight. In theory both weigh similar but feel way different

Good luck

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: September 13, 2019 11:08AM

Benjie, everyone has their own opinions abotu adding weight to balance a rod. That is the beauty abotu building your own, you can do whatever you want, as long as you are happy with the results. I am going to be in Fort Myers next Saturday, if you are in the area and want to meet up let m eknow.

Posted by: benjie bates (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: September 13, 2019 08:38PM

Right on Billy I’m the other side of the state but appreciate the invite.

And really like these XC blanks

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster