I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Stripper guide on rebuild
Posted by: Mark Hahn (---.100.91.75.dynamic.ip.windstream.net)
Date: September 12, 2019 08:37AM

I'm rebuilding an old St.Croix TRS66MF, CS2 Graphite, 6-12lb, 1/4-5/8oz. There were originally 6 guides on the rod but the first stripper guide was missing when the owner gave it to me. The second guide up the line is a 16mm. The owner fishes for redfish most of the time and uses 6lb pound test, not specific on the reel size. . I'm replacing the old guides with BLVAG. Should the first stripping guide be a 25mm or 20mm? Any help would be greatly appreciated

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Stripper guide on rebuild
Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: September 12, 2019 09:10AM

Size 25.

Posted by: Jim Ising (---.dthn.centurylink.net)
Date: September 12, 2019 09:39AM

Mount your preferred reel and let the balance of the reduction train tell you what size stripper you need. In this case, it's going to be about where the guide positions itself based on height - not ring size.

Posted by: Bob McKamey (---.se.biz.rr.com)
Date: September 12, 2019 10:04AM

Hello Mark - As a suggestion, a size 2500 reel would be a good all-round choice for that rod , but would check with the owner of the rod. If the owner would go that route, a BLVAG-25 Fuji Alconite, V-Frame, followed by a size 16 would be a good choice. Over the years past, I have set-up many of that type rod, that way, with good results.

Bob McKamey
Mud Hole Custom Tackle
bobm@mudhole.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/12/2019 10:49AM by Bob McKamey.

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: September 12, 2019 12:55PM

If he wants an upgrade, replace the LV guides with KR concept Guides. They are a performance enhancer in my opinion..
Norm

Posted by: Mark Talmo (71.147.59.---)
Date: September 12, 2019 03:22PM

Mark,
I agree with all replies you have received thus far. Roger and Bob with a LV25 stripper with a 2500 reel if you want to go that route. However, I strongly suggest you consider Norman’s point of using the KR Concept, most likely a KL-16H stripper, 8H, 5.5M reduction down to whatever size KB and KT runners you prefer (use Jim’s GPS software). While the KR Concept was designed for braid, limp 6lb mono or even fluoro should work fine. There is a reason Fuji spent the expense of R&D to develop the KR Concept!

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Date: September 12, 2019 04:44PM

Mark,
For sure, if you are replacing all of the guides go with the KR concept style guides. You will be well pleased with the results.

Posted by: Mark Hahn (---.100.91.75.dynamic.ip.windstream.net)
Date: September 12, 2019 04:56PM

Thanks everyone, but the customer wants similar single-footed guides. I think the KR would be the way to go for sure.

Date: September 12, 2019 06:08PM

Mark,
If you view the video you will see that the KR concept guides are available for spinning rods in a single foot version.
A couple of differences.
The tilt of the guide to minimize wind knots.
A quick reduction in guide sizes. Typically 2 or possibly 3 reduction guides before going to the running guides.

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: Bob McKamey (---.se.biz.rr.com)
Date: September 13, 2019 08:37AM

Mark - The Fuji KR Concept set-up is a great way to go. KR is "One" of the best advancements in guide train systems that has ever come along. but keep in mind if you do so, the guides will more than likely be positioned on the rod blank at different spacings. Please, do not take this as I am trying to talk you out of not going with the KR set-up. Just wanted to point that out to you, if you are not familiar with the way the KR sets up, since that has not been mentioned.

Bob McKamey
Mud Hole Custom Tackle
bobm@mudhole.com

Posted by: Mark Talmo (71.147.59.---)
Date: September 13, 2019 12:01PM

Mark,
Bob is correct in that guide spacing will most probably be different with the KR Concept, but then the original guides may not have been placed properly in the first place; static load testing for guide placement will reveal that. I can appreciate you may just want to mount the new guides in the same locations to cover-up where the original guides were.

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Posted by: Jim Ising (---.dthn.centurylink.net)
Date: September 16, 2019 10:12AM

Bob is right. KR will ask you to relocate the entire guide train.

Put your preferred reel on the rod and run line through the remaining guides. Get a size 25 LV, put the foot on the blank and slide the guide up and down the blank until the line (through all the other guides) passes through the 25 in the same way it does through the other guides. Note the location. Do the same with the 20 LV and note the location. One will position itself roughly evenly with the rest of the guide train. I would choose the one that sits where the original guide came off. That is likely the LV that was lost and by far the easiest to replace since you can cover up the old finish with new finish.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster