I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Applying epoxy to underwraps
Posted by: Fred Kneipp (---.cnrocmta01.res.dyn.suddenlink.net)
Date: September 11, 2019 01:31PM

What is the best procedure when putting an underwrap on a off shore rod? Should the under wrap be epoxies before wrapping the guides or should it all be finished with the epoxy at the same time? I am double wrapping then guides as well. Is double wrapping the guides necessary? this is my first offshore rod so I am kind of flying blind.

Re: Applying epoxy to underwraps
Posted by: Mike Ballard (---.ip-167-114-11.net)
Date: September 11, 2019 03:02PM

Thin coat of epoxy on the underwrap. Then overwrap and finish over all. I use two coats over the top wrap for heavy offshore or standup rods.

Posted by: Mark Talmo (71.147.59.---)
Date: September 11, 2019 04:30PM

Fred,
You will find varying opinions on whether an underwrap or a double overwrap is necessary or not; none are wrong and it boils-down to personal preference after examining the pros and cons. There are those who underwrap to help cushion or isolate the guide foot from nicking the blank and/or to help stabilize the feet. Others simply like the look or their customers expect the look. An underwrap obviously requires more work and adds weight. As for double overwraps, unless seeking truly monstrous tuna or such, a single overwrap, especially considering a double-foot guide, is extremely strong. The accumulative strength of each wrapped thread when multiplied by, say, 50 rotations can produce well over 100lb of holding force, 2X for a double foot guide. A double overwrap adds security and protection and is certainly not a bad thing other than the additional work and weight. Weight is certainly not as big of a concern with an offshore rod as it is for an ultralight trout rod.
I have adopted underwrapping rods over 30lb because I believe in the benefit of isolating/stabilizing the guide feet. I have only double overwrapped one rod and that was due to the visual effect.
If you decide to underwrap, most including myself will suggest using size A thread and apply a thin coat of finish and allow to cure for 24 hours. This will produce a much more stable base which will eliminate the overwrap of size D digging into or trying to follow the threads of the underwrap.
I am interested in what the veterans have to say.

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Posted by: David Sytsma (---.dhcp.bycy.mi.charter.com)
Date: September 12, 2019 12:02AM

Fred,

Both Mike and Mark are correct. Personally, I always use an underwrap on offshore rods; thread size is determined by what color my customer wants and what thread size I happen to have that color in but I check with them first. Size A does look a little cleaner in my opinion. The underwrap I believe does add a degree of cushioning. I then apply a thin coat of epoxy, whether I've had to use CP for a desired color on the underwrap or not to allow for a smooth finish for the overwrap. I'll let the epoxy cure for about 48 hrs. even though it's dry to the touch. The extra curing time seems to let it harden up a little more and allows for easier thread manipulation with the overwrap.

I always use two coats on the overwraps. FlexCoat Lite is my epoxy of choice and the two thin coats rather than one thick coat allows for removing small defects like dust, fuzzies, or missed areas in the first coat if necessary. The only time I use two overwraps is on roller guides on heavy saltwater rods. I don't know if it's needed, but it's peace of mind.

I almost never underwrap freshwater rods. I don't think the need for cushioning is there, and it does add weight. To me, the significance of added weight from an underwrap on a heavy stand up rod is insignificant.

Dave Sytsma

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster