I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

rod ferrules
Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (72.239.229.---)
Date: September 11, 2019 11:12AM

Spigot ferrule blanks seem to have been eclipsed by tip-over ferrules. Is this the result of performance, durability, cosmetics, ease of production (cost), or some other factor?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: rod ferrules
Posted by: ben belote (---.zoominternet.net)
Date: September 11, 2019 12:00PM

i would say performance..they look like a lower friction connection..

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (172.58.45.---)
Date: September 11, 2019 12:46PM

I've fished many of both, I seen no real difference though most don't understand the spigot ferrule gap till its explained to them. I own two rods with the integrated ferrule in the lower section and the male section on the tip

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/11/2019 12:51PM by Spencer Phipps.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: September 11, 2019 01:06PM

The spigot ferrule is more labor intensive to make and does not offer quite the same across the join smoothness as a good integral tip-over-butt ferrule does.

Posted by: Mark Talmo (71.147.59.---)
Date: September 11, 2019 05:59PM

Phil,
I suspect a little of all you mentioned are factors, with “ease of production (cost)” at the top of the list. It is safe to say the Tip-Over-Butt ferrule is here to stay, and with good reason; it has been used and accepted since the early 1970s, affords a clean appearance, adequately strong and is easier, quicker and less expensive to produce. When in need of purchasing a multi-piece blank or rod, a TOB is hard to beat.
Unfortunately, when needing to build a multi-piece rod from a single-piece blank, such as a vintage blank, it is virtually impossible to use the TOB system. In such a case, the builder if left with four options; a metal male/female ferrule, an internal spigot, an external sleeve, or a CARL ferrule.
As Tom mentioned, attempting to make a spigot from scratch must be hugely time consuming, and I cannot imagine the taper of the final product being absolutely perfect. I would not even attempt it. BUT, if an identical, sister, donor blank is available, spigots can be cut from it. Due to those spigots being smaller in diameter though, they will obviously be more prone to breakage, hence the need to never bend the rod more than 90*, with less being best. I have built two, 6-piece, 7ft pac rods using sister-blank spigots where I could not utilize a CARL ferrule due to that many sleeves interfering with guide placement. Those customers must have paid attention to the 90* rule as both are still enjoying their rods.

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: September 14, 2019 04:34PM

The production spigot ferrules I'm familiar with, have solid male spigot not a tube. This especially true of the older fiberglass rods made by Winston and later by Tom Morgan.

Posted by: carol staiculescu (---.cpe.teksavvy.com)
Date: September 19, 2019 09:25AM

Mark, you really got me going with the CARL ferrule here . I was thinking about it for some time just to gladly discover that someone has actually put into practice what I was only theorizing for some time now. Hat off for you. Considering your post from two years ago, I was wondering how did your rod hold up (150 fishing hours at that time and I assume many more since) ? Also, did you ever tried it on a high modulus carbon rod ? I'm thinking about transforming a NFC HM jigging rod into a two pieces travel rod and your CARL ferrule seems to be my best bet since I don't want to sacrifice a second high end expensive blank for a TOB construction. I like the "laminated" joint ideea of the CARL ferrule, for it's strength, flexibility , lightness, near perfection fitting in matching diameters, but I was a bit worried about applying it to a high carbon rod since the blank wont be so forgiving to errors like a FG one and a carbon sleeve might not perform as good as an e-glass one in the construction of the ferrule.

kingofbeasts custom rods

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster