I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Broken 2wt piece 5" below tip.
Posted by: Brian Strazek (66.213.13.---)
Date: September 10, 2019 01:27PM

Hello All,
Went camping this weekend pulled out a 6' 6" 4pc. 2wt I built on a rainshadow blank had snapped about 5" below the tip. The problem is I built this in 2008 and am not entirely sure what the blank was at that time. I was hoping to buy another and just use the tip piece of it. Any suggestions? would cutting, sanding and putting a tip on the small piece that remains be unwise (it would become a 6' 2wt)? Any tips appreciated. Thanks.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Broken 2wt piece 5" below tip.
Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: September 10, 2019 04:39PM

Brian,
Just repair the rod. I assume that you still have the pieces of the rod? If so, just use a fiberglass oversleeve and do a 3/8th inch thread wrap at each end of the oversleeve to prevent splitting and do a guide wrap coating for final finish.

I would guess that there is still lots of life left in the rod.

Take care

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (172.58.45.---)
Date: September 10, 2019 04:56PM

What color? Batson can help you out, awfully light blank for repairing without affecting performance.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/10/2019 04:59PM by Spencer Phipps.

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: September 10, 2019 05:15PM

Try Spence's advice, then Rogers if Batson cannot help. A repair may affect the action some, but I expect not so much to make the rod unusable for it's intended use.

Date: September 11, 2019 04:25PM

If you have not repaired a rod before, just do the repair for experience and fish with the repaired rod. If done correctly, there will be only a minimal performance degredation, if any at all.
Use a fiberglass outer sleeve, due to its softer and easier bending nature, compared to graphite. Also, if the oversleeve is too thick, put the oversleeve into a variable speed drill and then hold it against a belt sander to think the over sleeve enough so that it still provides a good stable repair, without making the blank too stiff at the point of repair.

Check the forum libraries for articles on rod repair using an oversleeve.

Take care

Posted by: gary Marquardt (---.hsd1.mi.comcast.net)
Date: September 12, 2019 10:24PM

I don’t know if it will work but, I still have the two piece version of that rod blank. Never got around to building it. You could maybe cut it and mak an entire new tip. It would take some careful measuring. Let me know if your interested in it.

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: September 13, 2019 05:39PM

That is an RX6 blank and the tip section is very thin and light. Any type of repair will be noticeable casting. Gary's solution above is a good one.

That blank is still available! Check the Batson site at left

Posted by: ron zimmerman (---.tcso.qwest.net)
Date: September 14, 2019 06:45PM

I snapped a 9' 2wt about the same distance . I just retipped it and now I have a very fast action 8'6" 2wt .lol

Date: September 15, 2019 07:18AM

Brian,
If nothing else, get the practice and repair the blank.
You have nothing to lose, and if you repair it well, it will work as an excellent rod for you.
To do an over sleeve, it is a pretty quick and simple procedure.

Use a fiberglass oversleeve and thin the oversleeve so that it gives you enough strength for the repair without being overly heavy. Use a 1 1/2 inch length plus the break on each side of the break for length.

Glue things together with 5 minute epoxy, do a 3/8th over wrap and wrap epoxy on the ends and go fishing.

With a good repair, there will not be an exceptionally hard spot, and you will have a rod to fish with again.

Best wishes.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster