I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Fuji BNOG or Alps XPBVDLG
Posted by: Dennis Herold (---.dsl.atmc.net)
Date: September 07, 2019 05:53PM

I gone to build a Rainshadow SWB70L 8/15lb Spinning Rod and don't know which guides to use. Was looking at the Alps XPBVDLG and the Fuji BNOG.I would like some feedback on theses guides. Fuji is half the price of the Alps and they are both aluminum oxide . So a little confused Thanks Dennis

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Fuji BNOG or Alps XPBVDLG
Posted by: Grant Darby (---.dhcp.knwc.wa.charter.com)
Date: September 07, 2019 06:21PM

Big difference. The Alps are SS316 stainless and have recessed rings.

Date: September 07, 2019 06:25PM

Thanks Grant so you are saying it is a better guide, and you would use the Alps Guides

Posted by: herb canter (---.atmc.net)
Date: September 07, 2019 06:59PM

I view Alps right up there with Fuji as far as component manufacturers but if money is a concern the Fuji's are just fine , Fuji may use 306 stainless instead of 316 but that's not a major negative , not in the least . Only if you were planning to never rinse the rod down with freshwater after fishing would the Alps 316 frames be advantageous since the 316 stainless is a bit softer and known for better corrosion resistance but 306 stainless has been used for decades on guide frames and still is to this day by many manufacturers .

Can't go wrong with either , if i was choosing guides for a $200.00 + dollar blank i might spring for more expensive guides but the blank you're building on is a very affordable blank , why not stick with very affordable guides . Can't go wrong with either choice .

Date: September 07, 2019 08:34PM

Thanks Herb you and Grant has been a big help. I got the answers I needed. Have a Blessed Day

Posted by: Lance Schreckenbach (---.lightspeed.hstntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: September 10, 2019 11:06AM

306 SS has also been rotting for years since they started using it. If you are fishing saltwater, spend the money for a more corrosion resistant guide (Fuji CC, Titanium, Alps 316). Also make sure that the heel of the guide is filled with epoxy up the leg a little, where water can get trapped if it is not filled in properly. You will get more life out of those more corrosion prone guides that way and of course rinse well after every outing.

Date: September 12, 2019 02:54PM

Thanks Lance I wrap my guides and then apply thread finish let turn on dryer overnight, then come back and glaze the complete Rod. This seems to work for me. Actually I should say That was how I was taught. Don't know if it is right or wrong. I been using a lot of the Rainshadow swb eGlass blanks which seem to work well for a reasonable price blank. So I will use the Alps 316 guides for now on. Thanks once again Dennis

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: September 12, 2019 03:17PM

Dennis,
Can you explain what you mean when you say that you glaze the complete rod after drying?

Thanks much

Date: September 12, 2019 04:51PM

Well I worked at a Tackle shop that built and repaired Rods he would install the guides and put one coat of Pro Kote over thread work decals. Let it turn overnight on dryer them come back next day and brush on pro Kote on Rod from fore grip to tip top as it's turning use a little heat and let it turn on dryer again. I don't know if it is right or wrong. I know it adds weight other then that I don't know Thanks Dennis

Posted by: Ken Brown 2 (---.229.194.3.res-cmts.sm.ptd.net)
Date: September 20, 2019 02:57PM

That's the first I heard of someone adding pro-kote to the whole rod. I would think perma gloss might not be a bad idea as a finishing touch for a saltwater rod.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster