I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Madeira thread
Posted by: David Sytsma (---.dhcp.bycy.mi.charter.com)
Date: September 07, 2019 02:28AM

Quick question for you all. I was reading the thread on the issues Tom Harder was having with U-40 Dura Gloss Supreme and I think there was mention of silicone in Madeira thread. I've got a few spools of the polyneon that I've used a little of without problems. Should I take special steps when using the Madeira? Does this thread contain silicone? Thanks.

Dave Sytsma

Re: Madeira thread
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: September 07, 2019 08:20AM

Most sewing threads are treated with a lubricant to facilitate their use in a sewing machine. Color preserver is generally used on such threads.

Posted by: David Sytsma (---.dhcp.bycy.mi.charter.com)
Date: September 07, 2019 02:12PM

Thanks, Tom. When I've used the thread, so far I've always used a color preserver. Probably why I haven't had any issues

Posted by: Mark Talmo (71.147.59.---)
Date: September 07, 2019 02:47PM

Good question, David and good reply, Tom. That makes me wonder if NCP rod wrapping thread has a lubricant applied or if it is exempt due to obvious reasons? I basically use NCP to avoid the need for CP and have not noticed any issues.

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: September 07, 2019 04:52PM

Madeira polyneon thread does not come in a NCP form. It is an embroidery thread that contains a silicone lubricant for use in sewing machines. Therefore, It should be coated with CP, otherwise it may cause problems with the epoxy finish. Because it comes in multitude of various colors and shades it is very popular for decorative wraps. Threads made specifically for rod wrapping do not have the variety of different colors and shades as Madeira.
Norm

Posted by: Mark Talmo (71.147.59.---)
Date: September 08, 2019 12:23AM

Norman,
As usual, you are a wealth of information. Thanks.

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Posted by: Jonathan Hotham (165.225.0.---)
Date: September 09, 2019 09:44AM

Gentlemen,

I'd like to add a followup question. I've read extensively about Madeira polyneon and even have a spool. As many of you have noted it contains a silicone lubricant and must be sealed with color preserver. Here is the question. If Madeira contains silicone and silicone is the bane of rod craft does it cross contaminate other threads, and or your thread carriage? I have heard so many accounts of an indiscriminate amount of silicone ruining an epoxy job. I know when I do thread work I end up with bits of thread everywhere, plus its running through the thread carriage.

Just the thoughts running through my head as I read this thread.

Posted by: Mark Blabaum (---.broadband.sta.mhtc.net)
Date: September 09, 2019 11:50AM

Jonathan Hotham Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Gentlemen,
>
> I'd like to add a followup question. I've read
> extensively about Madeira polyneon and even have a
> spool. As many of you have noted it contains a
> silicone lubricant and must be sealed with color
> preserver. Here is the question. If Madeira
> contains silicone and silicone is the bane of rod
> craft does it cross contaminate other threads, and
> or your thread carriage? I have heard so many
> accounts of an indiscriminate amount of silicone
> ruining an epoxy job. I know when I do thread work
> I end up with bits of thread everywhere, plus its
> running through the thread carriage.
>
> Just the thoughts running through my head as I
> read this thread.

In a word, No. I have run Maderia and NCP and Nylon tread through at different times and never had an issue. May be that I'm just lucky, but never had a problem with fisheye's because of that. I have used Maderia with out sealer and it is a mix of no problems with fisheyes to nothing but fisheyes without sealer. I have also tried to acclimate the epoxy by adding a long piece of thread to the epoxy when mixing, this also is a crap shoot and a 50/50 outcome with fisheyes.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster