I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Blank Defects?
Posted by: Anthony Pav (---.115.10.48.res-cmts.prk.ptd.net)
Date: September 07, 2019 08:10AM

I recently purchased two blanks direct from a manufacturer. I did a quick inspection of both blanks when they arrived. One blank was perfect, but the other blank has a few areas that concern me. The blank has areas where a clear plastic film is trapped between the carbon wraps. It also has multiple areas where there are fibers (thread or carbon?) on the surface of the blank. The fibers appear to be baked into/onto the blank surface and can not be removed. I posted pictures of the questionable areas in the Misc. Photos section. The blank is also 1/2" shorter then its advertised length.

Prior to purchasing these two blanks I have only built two rods (Sage, St. Croix), but I dont expect that such flaws are common when purchasing blanks. The manufacturer claims that these are just "Cosmetic" and will not effect the blank. They offered to replace the blank but they say I am responsible for the shipping cost.

I am interested in some other peoples opinions on if they would keep and build on the blank. And if these defects could possibly cause a failure during use.

Other option's for me is to return the bank for a replacement (which adds $25.00/$30.00 to my costs) and hope the next blank does not have the same defects? Or return the blanks for a refund; This will end up costing me $45.00/$50.00.

Thank you, Tony

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Blank Defects?
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: September 07, 2019 08:19AM

A cosmetic flaw is a flaw nonetheless. While it may not affect the performance of the blank, was the blank purchased as a first quality blank? If so, the manufacturer owes you another.

Shipping costs, at least back to the manufacturer, on something like this is indeed usually on the consumer's end.

Posted by: herb canter (---.atmc.net)
Date: September 07, 2019 02:33PM

After viewing all the images you provided i'm shocked that whoever manufactured that blank had the nerve to ship that out to you and expect you to be happy with it . Iv'e received blanks that had a paint drip solidified to the blank , an easy oversight or a spine mark that was missing from one section of a blank , no big deal but what you're showing is 100% unacceptable and the manufacturer should not only pay for return shipping but include a sincere apology as well .

Date: September 07, 2019 04:58PM

I don't like to make assumptions, but from the photos I'm going to assume these blanks did not come from a premium blank manufacturer.

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: September 07, 2019 05:00PM

I agree, the manufacturer should supply an unblemished blank at no additional cost to you. That’s just poor quality control and customer service. Send customer service your pictures, they should respond in a positive manner.
Norm

Posted by: herb canter (---.atmc.net)
Date: September 07, 2019 05:48PM

I don't think any custom rod builder who builds for other people would accept that blank , if i built for other people that blank would be immediately put to the side as a reject . Let us know how it goes with getting a replacement .

Posted by: Rick Sankey (167.142.119.---)
Date: September 07, 2019 08:09PM

I’ve had it happen to me twice with bad blanks. I ordered clearance rods thru Mud Hole. The OEM blanks where great but the CRB I couldn’t try to sell. I called Mud Hole and was told we don’t take clearance rods back but after talking with the supervisor he finally said this will be a one time thing. I paid to ship them back and they credited my account.
The other was with RODgeeks. I had two 7’ Lt blanks that where super crooked. Called them sent them a video of them as I turned them so they could see it. Told me to keep them and shipped me two new one.
Two great companies to do business with. If you don’t get treated close to this take as a learning lesson and never buy from them again. But let them know your dissatisfaction.
Rick

Posted by: Anthony Pav (---.115.10.48.res-cmts.prk.ptd.net)
Date: September 08, 2019 11:23AM

Just to clarify a few questions and comments;

The blank was not advertised as a "Blem" or "Second".

Retail price of the blank is $250.00, based on that I would put it in the premium category by a premium manufacturer. I did not pay the retail price, the manufacturer had ALL of their blanks on sale. So it was not a marked down blank because of the obvious defects.

Manufacturer was sent pictures. The reply I received from them was "The issues you are having with your blank are cosmetic. They are in no way going to effect the blank, and are not a defect. If you want to ship them back for a exchange, you can, but you will have to cover the shipping charge".

I completely understand that sometimes a defective product makes it out of manufacturing/QC and get delivered to a customer, so I can accept the mistake. Where I have a problem is with the manufacturer expecting me to either accept the defect and/or pay extra (shipping costs) to correct their problem. I could accept being responsible for return shipping costs for multiple reasons; if I didnt want the blank for personal reasons or for a warranty claim in the future. But I dont think I should be responsible to pay return shipping when a blank contains multiple defects that were obvious to me from the time I removed it from its package. I am not looking for anything for free and dont want to sound like a "cheepskate" over $25.00/$30.00 return shipping costs, It is more about the principle of good customer service.

Tony

Date: September 08, 2019 01:01PM

A $250 blank should not have such cosmetic defects. Either way, that's where you are now. The company you bought from has their policy and that's that. I have to assume that the maker is not a sponsor of this forum as I can't imagine any of the blank sponsors here not helping you out a bit on that type of thing.

Posted by: James Clark (---.mobile.uscc.net)
Date: September 08, 2019 03:46PM

Being shorter than the advertised length should be enough to consider it not only cosmetic as you bought a blank that was advertised as x length and what you recieved was not as advertised in my opinion.

Posted by: Lance Schreckenbach (---.lightspeed.hstntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: September 10, 2019 11:15AM

Who was the manufacturer, NFC? if it was how did you get a hold of them? I need to replace a tip on a fly rod and I can't get a hold of anybody.

Posted by: carol staiculescu (---.cpe.teksavvy.com)
Date: September 19, 2019 10:01AM

Lance Schreckenbach Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Who was the manufacturer, NFC? if it was how did
> you get a hold of them? I need to replace a tip on
> a fly rod and I can't get a hold of anybody.

As Tom said, I don't like to make assumptions but, considering the data given above and my personal experience, my best guess will be NFC as well (and from the photos, the blank will be an X-Ray)..
Since In your case is clear who's to be blamed, when you have problems with them, don't send an email reporting the problem but contact the sale department with an email for purchasing another blank (to lure them in , after all we are anglers) and present your real problem only after an initial response from the sale department. They tend to respond pretty quick to orders and never to problems. I know is not ethical what I am advising you to do, but seems to be the only way that might get you a response. As I've been told, not even Better Business Bureau will scary them anymore. My guess is that this is the "swan song" for Garry Loomis and it is a petty that he chose an ending like this one for his life story.

kingofbeasts custom rods

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster