I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Best way to do butt wraps
Posted by: Ken Brown 2 (---.229.194.3.res-cmts.sm.ptd.net)
Date: September 04, 2019 08:52AM

I am starting to work on a Striper rod and want to create a nice decorative butt wrap on it. I was looking to possibly create a wrap with like 4-6 diff colors. I was thinking of a diamond wrap without any unwrapped areas. I have done diamond wraps before but where the blank was not fully covered. I don't have any special tools for wraps. Just looking for suggestions on the best way to align correctly. The last one time I did, I just used my CRB hand wrapper.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Best way to do butt wraps
Posted by: Anthony Unger (---.15.236.249.res-cmts.ovr.ptd.net)
Date: September 04, 2019 07:02PM

By align, i assume you mean space correctly, and have the orientation not cocked... Best thing i can suggest is to use the light line...

The light line is the reflection of your over head lights, (assuming you have overhead lights) most reel seats have a seam either on the bottom, top, or both.. Center that in your light line, use that as a straight edge to keep your wraps on the correct axis.. For spacing your on your own.. I do everything by eye, only had a couple screw ups so far...

In the butt area you shouldnt have to worry about too much about the taper being an issue... Well, maybe if its a mag taper, and an area like 10" long..

You can always figure your spacing if you really feel the need by keeping in mind that 4 threads (size A) are equal to 1mm a little math, and you can have a perfect layout, just use something to mark your vertical lines (across the blank) and again your light line to keep your cross sections the same along your horizontal axis.. (Along the length of the blank)

Another thing to keep in mind, although 4 threads equal 1mm, the tighter you wrap them the thinner the thread gets.. How much thinner depends on the brand and type.. Also burnishing will cause your threads to epand out a bit.. I closed a 1/8" gap by burnishing alone.

Hope this helps.. Not sure if it answers your questions or not.

Posted by: Glenn McMurrian (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: September 08, 2019 02:16AM

I find it easiest to just line my wraps up by eye and make my final adjustment with a simple grip and twist of the wrap and all Get’s lined perfectly a and it does not hurt the wrap.

Glenn McMurrian

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/10/2019 04:12PM by Glenn McMurrian.

Date: September 10, 2019 04:03PM

I am in the middle of a diamond wrap that I am doing pretty much by sight. Its not perfect by any means but I think its gonna look awesome when its done. Ill post pics once I get it done. This will be my first full diamond wrap. I have done partial diamonds (blank still shown) and they came out ok.

Date: September 10, 2019 07:00PM

You should try a 8 axis optical wrap... They are really fun to do, and extremly rewarding.. When i did my first one i it was kinda meh, until i put the final outline wrap on it.. Came out georgeous.. Amazing how 1 thread can make a stunning visual diffrence.. Litterally make or break a wrap...

Those however, are a pain by eye.. Everything has to be kept square and tight.. Mine didnt hold its shape itself until the 9th or 10th set of wraps.. Took 9 hours straight, 6 of those hours were aligning.. Basically every 4 threads it needed to be corrected..

The last chevron i did went from the hook keep to about 2 inchs above the stripper guide starting with a fade wrap off the foregrip, finished with hitena silk, came up with an idea to end it without a lockdown wrap showing.. So i cut the threads along the cross point on the bottom of the blank while keeping them tight by wrapping thread over cross point from the tip towards the butt, very time consuming.. Basically unwrap 2 turns, expose a little cross section, cut 2 threads, lash it from butt to tip with silk, unwrap, cut, lash, repeat.. Theres more thread there then you think on a closed wrap! Lol

You should try doing a faded chevron, those are really fun to.. Same concept as a fade wrap, just applied to a chevron

Date: September 11, 2019 03:50PM

8 axis optical wrap? That just sounds time consuming. I have about 8 hours into the wrap at this point. I have a couple different shades of blue, green, white, and silver metallic running through it. I only have 1 thread for the metallic that I started the wrap off with. I have been alternating between the 2 blues with 2 passes each with a white between, then a green between. Its very time consuming thus far but I am digging how it is coming out so far. My eyes start bugging out after about 2 hours so I tidy up for another day.

I will have to look up faded chevron and 8 axis optical wrap

Date: September 11, 2019 03:59PM

Email me, yours is hidden

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster