I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

help finding blank
Posted by: Jay Eckles (---.cncrtn.dsl.dynamic.tds.net)
Date: September 03, 2019 09:32PM

New builder, first rod, a little overwhelmed with the plethora of blanks on the market. Finding it difficult to navigate the many dealers x the many makes x the many model lines. Can you help?

These are my ideal specs, don't mind flexing on any of them unless noted:

2-pieces (this is a must have)
light power
fast action
6-6.5 feet
affordable
available in a color other than white/black/gray (this is just nice to have)

"Affordable" to me means in the $50 range preferably. Can go higher, would love to go lower. Willing to sacrifice weight for money, i.e., glass is OK with me.

The intended application is freshwater general purpose - bream, LMB, SMB, white bass, crappie, small catfish. Expect to pair the rod with a Pflueger President 25 size.

Thanks for any advice you can offer, even if it's just tips on how to understand the universe of blanks.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: help finding blank
Posted by: Derick Jahnke (---.ptld.qwest.net)
Date: September 03, 2019 10:38PM

I just recieved my CRB Gator Glass blank and am happy with the action. Might look at their fresh water E-glass blanks or the light version of their Gator Glass line.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: September 03, 2019 10:58PM

Mag Bass blanks, popping blanks and even walleye blanks would likely fill the bill for you.

Posted by: Jay Eckles (---.mobile.att.net)
Date: September 04, 2019 06:32AM

Tom, that’s one of my challenges. I don’t care what the blank is “supposed” to be for. If it’s the right size and the right flex, I’m happy to use it. Yet I’m having to navigate through layers of application that don’t matter to me. Mag bass and popping and vertical jogging and flipping and walleye and so on ad infinitum. I’d love to just have a comprehensive list with specs, and just fine the ones that match the specs I have.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: September 04, 2019 07:37AM

Most all the manufacturer and supplier listings contain those specs.

Posted by: Ken Brown 2 (---.229.194.3.res-cmts.sm.ptd.net)
Date: September 04, 2019 08:26AM

My first rod was a CRB blank from mudhole. They are pretty cheap and a good fit for a first time rod builder. I think mine was $30 if I remember correctly. Now, where you can really rack up the $$ is the components (reel seat, guides, epoxy, thread, etc). I just got a shipment of just those types of things and spent over $200. You can make a complete rod for under $80 with the basic stuff.

Re: help finding blank her is a lik
Posted by: Bob McKamey (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: September 04, 2019 10:42AM

Hello Jay - Here is a link to a 6'-6" MHX Rod Blank that is a light power, fast action and in the $50 range -[www.mudhole.com] - Thank You

Bob McKamey
Mud Hole Custom Tackle
bobm@mudhole.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/04/2019 03:07PM by Bob McKamey.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (172.58.45.---)
Date: September 04, 2019 02:10PM

I have a 7 ft 3 pc that is rated for 4 to 10 lb line in green.

Posted by: Jay Eckles (---.natext-192-249-1-1-128.utk.edu)
Date: September 04, 2019 02:39PM

Bob, the S782-2, which is what I think you intended to link me to, is on my radar. Lamiglass has a clearance blank GP722L that's a 6 footer.

Closest match so far seems to be Rodgeeks with a 6.5 medium-light carbon 2 C266MLF2 that they're willing to paint.

I'm still just really surprised that this much manual searching goes into a product like this. I'll say that when I found some outlets' downloadable catalogs, that made flipping through things faster.

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.97.252.156.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: September 04, 2019 02:58PM

Jay, which ever way you decide to go, check into possible painting and shipping charges before you pull the trigger.

Posted by: Alex Weissman (---.lightspeed.tukrga.sbcglobal.net)
Date: September 04, 2019 04:21PM

You could also buy a Mudhole CRB colored blank and put a ferrule on it. IS661ML or IS661L. [www.mudhole.com]

Posted by: Jay Eckles (---.natext-192-249-1-1-128.utk.edu)
Date: September 05, 2019 10:22AM

Alex, I'm giving serious consideration to that. I don't know anything about ferrules yet. I imagine the good folks at mudhole would help me know what size to get, and there's got to be an installation video somewhere. I had thought about getting a donor fiberglass rod or blank and cutting a ferrule out of it.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster