I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Flex Coat finishing motor with slip clutch
Posted by: Adam S McClain (---.bla1.nsw.optusnet.com.au)
Date: September 01, 2019 10:38PM

Hi guys whos been using these and do you rate them?

Cant get them in Australia but willing to pay the shipping and exchange rate if they are worth it.

I like the idea of being able to stop the blank rotating to apply resin around the guide. One of the most annoying things to do when coating double footed guides.

Cheers

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Flex Coat finishing motor with slip clutch
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: September 01, 2019 10:48PM

It's an outstanding product. Well worth the money.

Posted by: Scott Lawrence (118.208.6.---)
Date: September 02, 2019 05:59AM

Hi Adam, mine is a homemade version and I would be lost without it. Sure the real deal is amazing. Also down in Oz.
Scott.

Posted by: Mark Hahn (---.242.30.71.dynamic.ip.windstream.net)
Date: September 02, 2019 10:09AM

You won't regret it

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: September 02, 2019 11:21AM

Have had one for years, works great!

Posted by: Ken Finch (149.202.98.---)
Date: September 02, 2019 11:54AM

Here is what I like about it--- If you are applying epoxy and the phone rings, or you have to step away for a minute or something, you just let go of the rod and it starts turning. You do not have to start anything up or flip any belts for a dryer. Just do what you have to do and know that the rod is going to turn until you get back to it. I bought one of these maybe the last year the expo was in Highpoint and to this date it is one of the best purchases for my rod building shop ever.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: September 02, 2019 12:32PM

Adam,
Excellent product.
Even if I don't use the flex coat motor all of the time, I still use the flex coat chuck and slip clutch arrangement.

[www.rodbuilding.org]

This particular single rod unit is one that I made using a heavy duty 24 volt 50 rpm DC motor with power supply and speed controller in conjunction with the excellent flex coat chuck and clutch.

By using the variable speed, I can set it at high speed and use it for applying finish - stopping it when needed with the use of the clutch and then turning the dial to adjust the over night speed as desired for the long term slow speed rod drying.

Buy one and you will enjoy its use and function.

Stay safe

Date: September 02, 2019 10:51PM

Thanks guys!

That made the decision easy lol Seem like a no brainer!

Posted by: John Cates (---.austin.res.rr.com)
Date: September 03, 2019 11:52AM

Good topic.

Also, newly available is our Flex Coat Variable Speed DC Motor. It comes standard with a slip clutch and can be adjusted from 40-200 rpms. A very powerful, long lasting, and cost effective tool for a professional finish.

[flexcoat.com]

Flex Coat Company
Professional Rod Building Supplies
www.flexcoat.com

Date: September 08, 2019 01:04AM

The variable speed looks great but our dollar is terrible at the moment. 68c USD to our AUD $1 I'll be looking for cheaper options or just sticking to what i have until or if the dollar improves.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster