I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

How do you get a gloss finish over entire rod?
Posted by: Austin Roach (204.193.36.---)
Date: September 01, 2019 12:20PM

I have blanks that come matte black and the fiberglass white and ive tried painting them and doing coats of clear but they always seem to chip. How do guys get those multi colored rods and gloss finishes over the entire rod? I have been using Krylon Fusion paints and clear coat.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: How do you get a gloss finish over entire rod?
Posted by: Michael Tarr (143.59.156.---)
Date: September 01, 2019 12:35PM

I know this isn’t much help but if I want a painted rod I buy it painted!

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: September 01, 2019 01:51PM

Do a search of this board's archives for PermaGloss.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: September 01, 2019 01:52PM

Austin,
Take your matte black rods and spin them and use a buffer to polish the rods to remove the matte look of the rod.

Then, when finished with the build and the guide wrap coating and drying, do a final application of wax on the parts of the rod that have not been wrapped and coated with rod finish. Then, polish that wax and it will have a nice glossy finish that will not chip.

Good luck

Posted by: herb canter (---.atmc.net)
Date: September 01, 2019 02:34PM

If you want to get a perfect finish that will last the below article will help , as for what to use , Permagloss is by far the quickest and easiest method to get a glossy chip free finish that i have used.

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Posted by: Don Mang (---.hsd1.pa.comcast.net)
Date: September 01, 2019 09:49PM

I am by no means an expert builder. However I do restore Mitchell reels. Austin I usually use Dupli-color while using Dupli-color auto paint I bake it to cure. Obviously you can't bake a blank. , I just did a purple using Krylon Fusion reel restore, and painted the blank. I put two coats of Max 2K clear glamour spray. She has used it quite a few times and seems to be holding up very well.

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: September 02, 2019 07:37AM

Keep in mind that any process that adds weight to the blank will, to some degree, affect the action. Permagloss not much, other paints and clear coats more. Roger's method will not affect action since it really isn't adding weight to the blank.

Posted by: Mark Hahn (---.242.30.71.dynamic.ip.windstream.net)
Date: September 02, 2019 10:10AM

Permagloss is great but will eat the wrong paint. Check out the compatibility before using it.

Posted by: Don Mang (---.hsd1.pa.comcast.net)
Date: September 02, 2019 10:25AM

I have used permagloss, with Krylon Fusion paint with out a problem. Is the the paint and clear coat really that much of a factor to the blank? I fish mostly UL 5' rods and don't notice anything different.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster