I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Spinning Verses Casting
Posted by: Spencer Phipps (172.58.45.---)
Date: September 01, 2019 03:21PM

Tom Mann, Tackle and depth finder innovator, had an early tv show, he used spinning gear and got it done. Deep sea and inshore anglers same thing.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: James Clark (---.mobile.uscc.net)
Date: September 01, 2019 03:25PM

Definitely agree with you on the fatigue David. The vast majority of my arsenal are casting rods anywhere from 5'6" to 8' and just about every combination of action and weight for bass fishing. I have a couple of very slow action spinning rods for weightless bait river catfishing but most of that arsenal is casting as well. Much rather fight a large fish with a casting reel vs spinning any day.

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.97.252.156.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: September 01, 2019 05:14PM

Excellent description David. What's a fly rod? Mark, I feel casting reel and ultra light, shouldn't be used in the same sentence, but I know quite a few guys build them. I've always relegated light lures to spinning tackle.

Posted by: Alex Weissman (---.lightspeed.tukrga.sbcglobal.net)
Date: September 02, 2019 10:58AM

I'm like most of the people in that for 6 lb mono or less I use spinning tackle and heavier I use bait casting stuff. I used to live in So Cal and fished the Sierras every summer for golden trout and all I ever used is a fly rod. In the salt water I used conventional tackle. When I moved to the south east I took up bass fishing in a big way and use both spinning and bait casting almost every day. I winter in central FL and use spinning tackle mostly inshore although I don't really know why. I guess it's because everyone else does.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: September 02, 2019 12:40PM

David,
I agree 100%.

So, if I am fishing a weed bed, or catch a fish that goes into a weed bed with a spinning reel, I put the rod down in the boat and grab the line and hand line the line and fish back to the boat along with the 20 lbs of weeds. Then, after the fish is unhooked and put in the livewell or released, I pick up the rod and reel the line back onto the reel. Not convenient, but it works when caught in this situation.

Also, often the reel is matched to an ultra light rod that is not really able to horse in a mass of weeds. So, by putting down the rod, and handlining the line, weeds and fish to the boat, the rod will not be damaged.

I also do the same thing if I am fishing from a boat and am using a 15 to 20 foot long rod. pull in the rod and lay it down in the boat and then hand line the fish to the net.

I always chuckle when I see folks using 12 foot rods in a boat and then try to land a fish while keeping the rod in their hands. So much easier to lay down the long rod and hand line the fish to the net.

Take care

Date: September 02, 2019 01:01PM

Alex, Does the. KERN R. still have goldens?

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: September 02, 2019 02:11PM

There are not Golden's in the Kern River itself, it is primarily has the Kern River Rainbow. The Little Kern River and its tributaries contain Golden's as do some of the other high elevation streams.

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (72.239.229.---)
Date: September 02, 2019 04:11PM

Just about anyone can cast a spinning outfit with five minutes of practice; a closed-face spinning outfit even faster. A casting reel outfit takes quite a bit longer to learn to cast . Learning to cast a fly line can take considerable time and practice. Most fly casters can't cast 50 feet. All three methods, plus hand lining, catch fish.

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.97.252.156.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: September 02, 2019 09:37PM

When a largemouth picks up your bait it's first instinct is to take it around something, be it a stump, a clump of weeds, your anchor rope. You have to get them moving in your direction hopefully, before this happens, hence the winch type reel. Smallies just go for deeper water and pull, pull, pull, etc. more suited to spinning tackle. The reel without the differential is the most efficient way to move fish.

Posted by: Alex Weissman (---.lightspeed.tukrga.sbcglobal.net)
Date: September 04, 2019 05:20PM

Spencer, As I read Golden Trout originated in the South Fork of the Kern River which is where I used to fish once or twice a year. I haven't been there in 20 years though. I rode my dirt bike up the trails to Monache Meadows with a 4 piece flyrod bungeed to the handle bars and a fly vest under my riding jacket. I have fished the main Kern for rainbows as Phil said.

Date: September 05, 2019 02:20PM

Was stationed in San Pedro "81 - 83. Only caught two in all my trips but they are something to behold. Have heard some were transplanted to Oregon.

1 GRAM CASTING 50+ FEET....
Posted by: Mo Yang (---.dhcp.hspr.ca.charter.com)
Date: September 05, 2019 09:55PM

FYI, there are those are into the BFS (Bait Finesse System) baitcasters who cast 1/32 oz (or about 1 gram) for over 50+ feet distance. That's not too far off the Ul outfits. Some have cast as light as 1/64th oz with bait casting.

One of the spools from Japan is 4+ gram, or about 1/7th oz. I'm itching to try one....:)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/05/2019 11:26PM by Mo Yang.

Posted by: David Baylor (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: September 06, 2019 09:28PM

Certainly there are casting reels that with the right rod, and in the right person's hands, can cast the extremely light weights like those mentioned above, but there is little doubt in my mind that it takes a very specific set of conditions to do so. Everyone familiar with casting reels knows what causes a backlash. The line forward of the reel's line guide slows to below that of the line being fed off the spool does, and an over run occurs. Let it continue long enough ... back lash. That problem is exacerbated as the weight of the object being cast, decreases.

I've done a lot of things (mostly in my younger days) just to prove I could do it. I've even tried doing some of those things again, (in my older years) just to prove that I could still do it. But trying to cast anything under 1/4 oz (total weight) with a bait casting reel is not one of the things I'm interested in trying again. It didn't work out well the first time, and I don't see it working out any better now. lol

Although I will say that my first attempts at skipping a bait using a bait cast reel didn't turn out well at all. I'm better at it now, but I still have a lot of work to do before I can say I'm good at it. lol

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/06/2019 09:30PM by David Baylor.

Posted by: Mo Yang (---.dhcp.hspr.ca.charter.com)
Date: September 07, 2019 08:45PM

David, respect what you have experienced.

However, I will note that I have fished UL right next to a few guys who were all running BFS casting at 1/32 to 1/16 and they were doing beautifully - outfishing most others I was with. These are very experienced BFS fisherman and I don't remember hearing anyone of the backlashing all morning that I was with them. They were landing quite a few trout. They apparently appreciate the control and accuracy of the system. I doubt that they needed the power of the reel as most are using 2 and 4 lbs test.

Posted by: ben belote (---.zoominternet.net)
Date: September 09, 2019 01:07PM

hi Mo, the rods that are used for BFS..how would you characterize them..do you have any CCS info..Thanks..

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster