I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Centerpin rod guides
Posted by: Gary Kilmartin (135.26.184.---)
Date: August 29, 2019 09:56PM

I have a rule I made for myself about rodbuilding: do not build a rod to be used for any kind of fishing for which I have no experience. Well, I am about to violate that rule , for a friend, and try my hand at a centerpin rod. Have been doing some research into this. And I have almost enough info proceed. He has picked the blank. We are discussing grips and seat. I think I have a handle on everything he wants except the guides.

The request was for all high frame guides. To keep the line away from the blank due to freezing conditions under which this rod will be used. Other than that, I have no idea what to use. My first thought was KR concept guides. Would this type of rapid reduction system, with taller than normal guides as runners, be appropriate for this application?

Another thought was using a double foot guide for the stripper, and maybe the next guide, due to the size of reels used, and the more pronounced angle the line takes through the stripper.

Next thought. I stumbled on a video of a guy demoing how to cast one of these setups. Looks like it would take a lot of practice. I have not talked to my bud, to find out if he will actually be casting with the new rod. I’m guessing the answer to that question will influence guide selection, at least somewhat.

Any thoughts, and/or advice will be appreciated

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Centerpin rod guides
Posted by: Grant Darby (172.92.68.---)
Date: August 30, 2019 11:40AM

You shouldn't need hi frames all the way out. Start with double foot V guides for the first three or four, maybe 25 ,16,10 and out with 8's and 7's. . Being that the guides are on the bottom the line won't be touching the blank much anyway, but you could stick to a high frame V single foot for the runners as well. Just watch the placement of the first guides......get the reel if you can....some of them are pretty big.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (172.58.45.---)
Date: August 30, 2019 03:37PM

Need some pics, Raven Tackle Canada in Bing. Images.

Posted by: Grant Darby (172.92.68.---)
Date: August 30, 2019 04:01PM

Or check out the blueprints for the IMMC series from Batson. Available on their website under Rainshadow Rod Blanks

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (72.239.229.---)
Date: September 02, 2019 04:16PM

What characteristics are desirable for guides on centerpin rods, and how do they differ from the best guides for casting, trolling, or bait-fishing rods?

Posted by: Gary Kilmartin (135.26.184.---)
Date: September 03, 2019 01:35PM

Thanks, gents, for the help. I had looked at Batson’s recipe for their centerpin rod blanks. All specified spinning guides. I then looked at Mudhole’s recommendations for their centerpin blanks. They listed a guide set, which I could not find anywhere. I did find two of their guide sets with the same name, with only the final number different. They were casting guides. After a long chat with my bud, we nailed down exactly what he wants.

He picked the blank from a list of links I sent him. We got the handle setup, including seat location, ironed out, and picked the guides. MHX blank, Alps Y guides(size 20 down to 7), Alps tip(8 ring size), split grip(burl corks and wood), plate type reel seat.

Phil, it seems the primary characteristic, at least for this gent, is keeping the line off the blank. This is for winter steelhead fishing. Drifting eggs sacks, under a float, with up to one ounce of shot, in freezing conditions, with a lot of line out. The rod is not always laying parallel to the water. Sometimes flat, or pointed up, or off to one side or the other; steering the drift, I assume. The height of the Y guide set was the crucial piece of the puzzle for him. Keep the line off the blank, no matter what position the rod is in.

The only thing I need to do is create some nice wraps and design the cork/wood grips. This will be interesting. I have pics of how he holds the rod. The reels used are very free spooling, with no drag. He holds the rod so can use his pinky and/or ring finger as a drag.

Posted by: Robert Nypaver (---.mnfd.qwest.net)
Date: September 05, 2019 09:05PM

I build mostly centerpin rods and I fish winter steelhead passionately. I don't go smaller than a size 8 guide for my running guides and tip top to reduce ice-up. Still, I treat my last 3 or 4 runners and tip top with Stanley's Ice-Off paste the night before I fish. I still get some ice in the guides but it cleans off easier with the ice-of paste. your choice of a 20 stripper was right on.

Posted by: Randy Kruger (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: September 10, 2019 07:59AM

I am in the slow process of building one using a MicroWave 18/8 stripper guide, and all #8 Titanium framed Nanolite single foot running guides on a 13 foot blank. I have used the Stanley's ice off paste, and it helps keep ice from building up. I also have used Rain X on the guides too, and oddly enough, it helps too.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster