I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Experience using Crystal Coat
Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: August 27, 2019 06:11PM

I thought i would share my observation experiences using the CTS Crystal Coat after few rod builds.

On a positive note: It is extremely clear, both in the containers and on the build. I note that prior post has indicated he found some very slight yellowing in the hardner. So far mine is still crystal clear.

With very thin viscosity, it flows and penetrates wraps very well and levels superbly. It has required two coats.

On the negative side: It is very very slow to set and cure (learned the difference from Mark T.) I have been using the 3/2 volume measurements. I have a current build in process where after 24 hours it is still not set enough that it will not fingerprint ! Room temperature is 73 degrees. I have been able to accelerate the curing process on the reel seat inserts I have used it on by putting them in my "hot box" (90 degrees)

This slow curing will prohibit use by those who only turn by hand after epoxy application.

Bottom line for me, is that I will have use it only when I have at least 4 or 5 days, before delivery.

I am curious if anyone has found better volume ratios?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/27/2019 07:55PM by Phil Erickson.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Experience using Crystal Coat
Posted by: Thomas Kaufmann (---.mobile.att.net)
Date: August 27, 2019 06:25PM

That cure time makes it a no go for me!!!!

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: August 27, 2019 07:05PM

There is no single finish that will be preferred by everyone. Lucky we have so many to choose from.

Posted by: Mark Talmo (71.147.59.---)
Date: August 27, 2019 08:11PM

Very well said, Tom. I cannot blame people such as Thomas K. who require a faster cure time; CC does require a long time to cure. Phil Erickson’s testing and reporting seems to be in-line with Norman M, and me = thanks, Phil. As I see it, the PROS of CC = the best water-clear clarity and extremely excellent flow-out. As for the CONS = extremely long cure time which is accentuated by the need of an additional coat.
If you are a high-volume builder, CC may not be for you. On the other hand, if you can afford a little extra time, CC will produce exquisite thread finishes, especially on white blanks and thread. As Tom K. said, “Lucky we have so many to choose from” (come-on, Tom, it should be “lucky we have so many from which to choose” lol).

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Posted by: Adam S McClain (---.bla1.nsw.optusnet.com.au)
Date: August 28, 2019 12:31AM

Ha logged on to share my experience with using CC for the first time.

Thanks for starting it Phil.

I to have experience the same curing times with both mixing by weight and volume. Room temp has been a consistent 23 C (73 F) for the last 4 nights.

The time has been measured before and after work. Times of curing may be a bit shorter

At 12 hrs CC is still fluid and workable.

At 24hrs CC is still soft/ tacky. This is the danger zone for me. Past the point of no return lol

At approx 36hrs CC has hardened enough to remove thread fluff etc and recoat.

At 48hrs CC is finger nail soft. Im guessing 4 days would be ideal before use.

Apart from the long curing time CC is fantastic to work with and the pros outweigh the cons.

I mostly build topwater and jigging rods for pelagics so guides are under wrapped and start at size 40 or 30.

To me it felt quicker to get the first coat of resin on. Because of the thin viscosity is penetrates and covers very quickly especially around the guide foot. And flows so well seems a lot easier to apply than thicker viscosity resins.

Its beautifully clear! Man thread just pops!

The long curing time can be an advantage as coming back hours later to find a holiday (missed patch) is easily fixed. Did this this morning 10hrs later :) saved my final coat.

Saving left over resin in the freezer is great. I did this for build coats. Wrap container in plastic wrap then zip lock. A quick few minutes sitting in a bowl of warm water will bring it back to almost normal viscosity. Just have to watch getting bits of brush etc in it. Could easily pour it through a paint strainer.

Its thin so for me 2 over A thread and 3 coats over D thread seams to be what is needed.

Definitely worth investing in a drying box if your planning on using CC. (my next project)

If curing time could be halved it would be ideal but maybe the crystal clear finish wouldn't be achieved.

Any how that's my experience.

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: August 28, 2019 09:58AM

It appears that my curing times are faster then those mentioned previously. However, I live in the South so my shop temperature may be higher then those living further north. My shop is part of my boat house, and my average temperature is going to be in the mid 70s to low 80s, and can be even higher when I turn off the AC. I have no problems applying a second coat after 12 hrs, 24 hrs after the final coat the finish is still soft but tack free, and after 36 to 48 hrs the rod could be fished. The slow cure rate is the biggest negative for me, but other wise it is a fantastic finish. It is very tolerant of mixing errors, applies easily, penetrates well, levels perfectly, is bubble free, clear and colorless. These are all pluses. On light colored threads, or light colored blanks it is great because it yellows less than any other epoxy I have ever used.
Norm

Posted by: Thomas Kaufmann (---.mobile.att.net)
Date: August 28, 2019 05:04PM

Yep we r lucky indeed!!

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: August 28, 2019 10:19PM

An update. I contacted CTS with information that I was experiencing very long cure time. They acknowledged that Crystal Coat is slower than many other wrap epoxies, and in the operations they apply 1 coat per day. However they also rotate under a heat source. They went on to say that they are testing various portions to find the effects.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster