I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Prowrap Colorfast vs Fishhawk colorlock
Posted by: Jerme Europa (41.114.210.---)
Date: August 27, 2019 12:08PM

Hi guy's,

I'm all the way from South Africa and are enjoying all the input on this forum, so I thought why not registering. I'm still fairly a rookie on rodbuilding and have been using Prowrap Colorfast for the past 3 years and are very happy with it. I've always sourced my PW CF from a guy that imports wholesale from Mudhole and are very happy with his services so far .

I've recently decided to import a few stuff on my own to get the hang of this import thing and to see how long it takes via USPS as it's the only affordable shipping that doesn't require me to break the bank. So I decided to go with Get Bit Outdoors as they USPS shipping is on average half of that of Mudhole. USPS/SAPO takes about a month but I think I can live with that!

Which brings me to the problem, Get Bit Outdoors doesn't stock Prowrap treads so therefore my enquiry regarding those two treads. I hope someone can give me some info regarding Fishhawk especially. I would like to stick with Get Bit so if the relationship between me and my supplier goes south someday I would like to be prepared when I have to imports myself and swop to Fishhawk.

Thanks all.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Prowrap Colorfast vs Fishhawk colorlock
Posted by: Roger Templon (---.paw.cpe.atlanticbb.net)
Date: August 27, 2019 03:58PM

Jerme

I think Get Bit also stocks Fuji NoCP threads, which I think is one of the better threads out there! (I have bought some from them in the past)

Rog

Posted by: Mark Talmo (71.147.59.---)
Date: August 27, 2019 04:03PM

Jerme,
I have not used Fishhawk so I cannot answer your question. While I would guess all the different threads are very similar, I am more certain personal preferences can produce brand-loyalty.
While I certainly do not have anything against GBO, there are other suppliers who carry ProWrap within the sponsored vendor list to the left. Anglers Workshop comes to mind first as they have become my go-to-source. They also ship USPS to me so I would assume they could for you as well.

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Posted by: David Sytsma (---.dhcp.bycy.mi.charter.com)
Date: August 27, 2019 10:43PM

Jerme,

I buy from Get Bit occasionally. If they have what I need I go with them first because they are great people to work with. I've used Fishhawk thread and it's good stuff, but I also use ProWrap, Fuji, Madiera, PacBay, and I've got a fair amount of Gudebrod. Of the new threads (since you can't get Gudebrod anymore), I probably use more ProWrap than anything with a second place tie between Fishhawk and Madiera. I've had some problems with color consistency with PacBay.

Now on a sad note, when Get Bit runs out of Fishhawk, they won't be carrying it anymore. Mudhole bought out Fishhawk. Some of the colors won't be available anymore; Jade Green metallic being one. Their metallic threads are very nice. I just finished a rod with Fuji and it went well. In my experience, Fuji is good thread, but came with a little learning curve because it's a polyester, is more slippery, and I think it has more stretch.

I'd see what Get Bit has available and get what you can from them. Beyond that, you'll have to get your Fishhawk from Mudhole.

Dave Sytsma

Date: August 28, 2019 12:31AM

From a strictly ethical / customer service aspect, I would avoid MH at all costs!

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Posted by: Fred Yarmolowicz (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: August 28, 2019 07:00AM

OUCH!!

Freddwhy (Rapt-Ryte)

Posted by: Pat Retlich (---.clevwi.dsl.dynamic.tds.net)
Date: August 28, 2019 09:26AM

Mark Talmo Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> From a strictly ethical / customer service aspect,
> I would avoid MH at all costs!

Can you elaborate on this opinion?

Pat Retlich

Posted by: Ron Weber (---.tc.ph.cox.net)
Date: August 28, 2019 10:03AM

Excellent way to belittle and degrade one of the sponsors that make the forum happen. Keep up the great work

Ron Weber

Date: August 28, 2019 04:02PM

I am the first to graciously give credit where credit is due; inversely, I criticize where criticism is due after being pushed well past a reasonable limit. No, I will not elaborate; that is between them and me and improper to discuss here. Additionally, there are those who apparently think I have said too much already.

Mark Talmo

Posted by: Robert A. Guist (---.triad.rr.com)
Date: August 28, 2019 04:10PM

Hello Mark.

Then why mention it at all?

Bob,

New Bern, NC.

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: August 28, 2019 10:36PM

Mark, I agree with you strongly about your frequently offering praise for suppliers. However you leveled a shot at one of rod builders largest suppliers that many of use use frequently!

Without some kind of explanation, it may be called "a cheap shot." The mention of ethics is disturbing!

Posted by: Jerme Europa (41.114.152.---)
Date: August 29, 2019 02:48AM

Please guys only tread advice

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/29/2019 02:55AM by Jerme Europa.

Posted by: Jerme Europa (41.114.152.---)
Date: August 29, 2019 02:48AM

Hi,

I merely asked for the pros and cons of fishhawk as I've decided to make GBO my priority online shop solely from a affordable point of view. It was never my intention to start a tread to degrade certain vendors! Since it came up here that Mudhole bought up Fishhawk I might as well stay with ProWrap and just stock up with 4oz spools on the colors I uses much.

Thanks again for all the input.

On a side note, I think it's kinda good that there's debates about vendors regardless if they sponsor as it keeps them on their toes in regards to customer service! They doesn't pay only for advertisement but for the Critics as well!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/29/2019 02:53AM by Jerme Europa.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster