I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Two piece build, guide placement relationship to ferrule
Posted by: Simon Peake (220.101.88.---)
Date: August 26, 2019 10:43PM

Hi guys,

This is my first post, but first I want to say that this is an awesome forum with so much to be gained from reading the posts.
However I cannot find opinions on my "dilemma".
I'm building a 2 piece 1-2kg 7 foot CTS blank, using Fuji's KR concept.
My question, should I be trying to place a guide foot on the blank's ferrule (well it's not actually a ferrule, rather the bottom of the top half of the blank)?
What do you reckon?

Thank you.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Two piece build, guide placement relationship to ferrule
Posted by: Mark Talmo (71.147.59.---)
Date: August 27, 2019 01:00AM

Simon,
Static load testing the blank for guide placement is the most accurate, simplest and most preferred method of determining guide placement. Multi-piece rods, with their inherent ferrules, can throw the builder a curve-ball, although it can still be hit out-of-the-park! Simply adjust the over-all guide location slightly (those adjacent to the ferrule if required) to accommodate the immoveable ferrule. If a guide location seems to fall right on the ferrule, so be it and do it! The builder may not even have to wrap the female end of the ferrule if the guide wraps are already there.

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: August 27, 2019 11:38AM

Actually it is a ferrule. And while you don't have to locate a guide directly on that portion of the blank, it won't hurt if you do. The greatest area of stress is generally directly between any pair of guides and less near and under each guide. So having a guide on the ferrule is never a bad idea. However, by always making sure to use enough guides, any issue of undue stress is mitigated by a huge degree.

Posted by: Simon Peake (220.101.88.---)
Date: August 27, 2019 11:07PM

Thanks Mark, "can throw the builder a curve-ball" yes mate, I have built a dozen or so rods but all one piece, I like your point about static load test.
And thank you Tom, good point regarding where the stresses are on the blank.
I think the take home message here is it doesn't really matter if a guide is on the the ferrule (thanks for correcting me above) or not.

Cheers,

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: August 28, 2019 10:16AM

The ferrules on CTS blanks are reinforced and don’t even need to be wrapped. If a guide happens fall on the ferrule there is no problem.
Norm

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster