I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Winn Grip
Posted by: David Sytsma (---.dhcp.bycy.mi.charter.com)
Date: August 26, 2019 01:05PM

I've got an earlier generation Winn Grip in my stock that was probably created for saltwater use as it has the older octopus pattern. I'm inclined to use it as a fore grip on a rod I'm building for myself for a change. But this grip, as I suspect is the case with all Winn Grips, appears to use EVA for a base grip material. This stick will be used for big tuna, and as I anticipate may need to be put on the rail from time to time, I'm concerned on how well it will hold up to that abuse. I've never used EVA on saltwater builds; hypalon 90% of the time, and cork the other 10%. Any thoughts?

Dave Sytsma

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Winn Grip
Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: August 26, 2019 02:15PM

It would seem that any time that one is going to be using a rod for 300-600 lb fish and in a rod holder that one would want a very robust handle like a slick grip.

[www.getbitoutdoors.com]

But, I don't fish those waters so I have no personal experience.

Take care

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: August 26, 2019 02:23PM

The polymer Winn grip is not a good choice for that application, it does not take surface abuse well!

Posted by: Mark Talmo (71.147.59.---)
Date: August 26, 2019 04:43PM

David,
I would certainly stay away from foam grips of any kind on a tuna rod; questionable durability. Many say the foam available today is too soft and ultimately uncomfortable. Slick butts are a great choice for rods used in a holder when big fish hit; easiest to get out of the tube. Typically, trolling out here in So Cal is accomplished by suspending the rod under the rail of the stern with straps connected to the upper lugs of the reel, so a slick but is not required. All of my 40lb + rods (even lighter rods) employ cork/rubber tape covered with diamond, flocked shrink tubing. It is comfortable, grippy, durable, cost effective, easy to clean and easy to replace if needed (although I have not had the need to do so). I will also employ hybrid carbon/Kevlar woven sleeving from time to time simply because I can.
Mark T.

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Posted by: David Sytsma (---.dhcp.bycy.mi.charter.com)
Date: August 26, 2019 07:45PM

Roger,

Thanks for your effort to help; your advice and creativity is truly a pleasure to read, but as you say, you haven't done it. Most of the tuna we're dealing with run 75# - 200#. The rear grip isn't really even a factor, because unless you are "on the troll" where the rod is suspended below the stern rail by the reel lugs, most of the fish we catch are done while "fly lining" , meaning you are swimming a live sardine either with the boat stopped or at anchor by carefully paying out line in free spool as the bait wants it. When you get bit, you throw the drag lever into STRIKE, let the rod load, put the butt into your harness, hang on to the fore grip and pray.

Mark,

Up to this point I haven't had any issues with hypalon. I use the standard grade on rear grips because as you know the rear grip essentially does nothing. I've been using the XHD high density hypalon from Mudhole on foregrips and haven't had any problems. I don't use it on rear grips because it's so stiff and dense that I've had to ream some of it before mounting because it doesn't stretch as much as the standard hypalon. The cork tape on my deckhand rod gave up after about 8 years, so after reading an article on it I've been covering it with hockey stick tape before a trip. Works amazingly well, won't shift, and gives you a great gripping surface even when wet and covered with sardine slime. Often I'll take the spool of tape, unwind a couple of feet at a time as needed and spin the roll to make a cord that I crisscross in a diamond pattern up and down the grip, and then put an outer layer of the hockey stick tape over it. You get the texture of a x-cut grip and it's easy on the hands so you don't need gloves. At the end of the trip I just peel off all the tape and discard it. I get about two grips out of a $5 spool of tape. I do have a spool of surf rod tape I could put on the fore grip of this build, but I'd like a larger diameter on this rod. I've used the x-flocked shrink tubing before and it was good, but honestly the hockey stick tape is even better. I've even wrapped fore grips for other guys on the boat when they've asked for it. Nobody hasn't liked it.
I appreciate the validation of my apprehension of using the Winn Grip. The guides aren't going to show up for a few days, so I'll do a little experimentation with a fore grip.

Dave

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster