I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Rod finish?
Posted by: Jason Gofron (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: August 25, 2019 08:43AM

I have always used flex coat and like the product. I’m a hobby builder just building for myself at times my plans to build x amount of blanks just doesn’t workout and life gets in the way. Problem is I open my flex coat use it but it’s self life has not been good once open. Is their a finish that has a better shelf life?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Rod finish?
Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: August 25, 2019 09:11AM

I keep Flex Coat after opening for a couple years or more, and no problem. What are you observing that indicates poor shelf life?

Date: August 25, 2019 11:28AM

I can’t get it clear keeps a yellow tint and I also had bottles crystallize in the past

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.sub-174-240-130.myvzw.com)
Date: August 25, 2019 11:41AM

Crystallization is not not a problem just heat the resin and the crystals will dissolve. The Hardener will have a yellow or amber cast to it from the start and it will get darker with time. Neither of these problems will prevent the epoxy from setting up.
Norm

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: August 25, 2019 12:56PM

A microwave is your friend.
Just open the bottle of finish that has crystallized and set the microwave for a few seconds, but turn it off - in 5 second intervals to check. Often, it only needs 5 or 10 seconds to warm the finish enough to clear up the crystallized product.

Do not overheat the finish. I tiny bit of time a few seconds at a time is better than getting the finish too warm.

Take care

Date: August 25, 2019 01:22PM

Alright I’ll keep using this info is good to know. I always put my bottles into hot water for a few minutes prior to mixing.

Posted by: Bill Sidney (---.gci.net)
Date: August 25, 2019 05:32PM

I like hot water to heat with , takes a little longer but don't have to baby sit it , also buy in smaller amounts is you don't build a lot ,

William Sidney
AK

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: August 26, 2019 09:50AM

All epoxy hardeners will tend to yellow or amber over time, both in the bottle and on the rod.

Posted by: John Cates (---.austin.res.rr.com)
Date: August 26, 2019 10:19AM

Jason

All of this is true. Don't by an amount of Flex Coat that you can't use in 1 year, though it will last longer. Keep it in a cool, dry, dark place. Melt the crystals before measuring if they form. Also, the yellow in the hardener bottle is indicative of all epoxy hardeners and is most visible when seen through the thickness of the bottle. Keep in mind that you will be diluting it by half with the resin and then applying it in a thin coat to your rod and wraps. Even when the hardener is very yellow, it is only visible on a white rod blank or light NCP thread.

Flex Coat Company
Professional Rod Building Supplies
www.flexcoat.com

Posted by: David Sytsma (---.dhcp.bycy.mi.charter.com)
Date: August 26, 2019 01:18PM

I appreciate what John is saying about keeping the amount you can use within a year and no doubt has truth to it. However, I've had some Lite and High Build for almost 3 years and it's never had any issues. My shop stays a consistent 72-76 degrees and the finishes, glues, and color preservers are in a cupboard that stays closed, so that might be helping. You have to develop a "personal relationship" with a finish so it's characteristics become known to you. I've used a few, and the Flex Coat works best for me.

Dave Sytsma

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: August 26, 2019 02:19PM

Any time that I purchase a glue or a finish or similar material, I always put the purchase date on the containers.

As the previous post said - I have had some epoxies and glues for 10 years and found that it was still a viable material.

On that vein - I did have some epoxy paint and after a number of years, I found that I had to replace the hardener side of the mix.

However, I have also found that the storage life for moisture cured products tend to be much shorter. Of course, part of the problem may be that once opened, it is likely that when I reseal the containers, I can not do the same sealing job as the manufacturer does in their original packaging.

Take care

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster