I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Seat location on 9'8" casting
Posted by: Mark D Schulte (---.hsd1.in.comcast.net)
Date: August 23, 2019 09:06PM

I'm building a 9'8" lamiglas steelhead casting rod. My first this long. My question is would 14 to 15" up be acceptable to mount the seat? It feels pretty balanced when mocked up. I kind of like the long handle as well. It will be a split grip because quite honestly this butt section on the blank is rather gorgeous.
Thanks as always for input.
Mark

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/23/2019 09:06PM by Mark D Schulte.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Seat location on 9'8" casting
Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: August 23, 2019 10:40PM

Perfect. Very common to have a rear grip of this length with the reel in the position you posted.

Good luck

Posted by: Mark Talmo (71.147.59.---)
Date: August 23, 2019 11:03PM

Mark D.S.,
While the balance of a rod is generic and/or subjective, I find it impossible to “balance” even a 7ft trout rod without adding weight to the extreme butt which I refuse to do. To include a split-grip would only enhance the rod to be more tip-heavy. From information gathered here on this site, I have learned to build as light as possible and let the “balance” fall where it may. That observed and practiced method has proven to work extremely well for me.
As for the seat distance on a 10ft rod, I would consider moving it out to at least 16in, possibly even more. Hopefully Norman Miller, others as well, will contribute with their vast, veteran wisdom. I am here to learn as well.

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Posted by: Denham Bruce (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: August 24, 2019 01:34AM

Wouldn't go past 14". If you want more balance add a bit of weight to the butt of the blank. Thats normally what I do with all my steelhead rods.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (172.58.45.---)
Date: August 24, 2019 09:09AM

X2 with Denham, you don't want to have a grip length that snags your clothes. Rain gear etc. needs room.
14 inches for casting rods around 12 inches for spinning, this puts the length behind your hand when holding the rod at the reel. Don't concern yourself with balance, build as light as you can, especially the guide train and the sensitivity will be there.

Posted by: Fred Yarmolowicz (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: August 24, 2019 09:28AM

I never really cared about balancing a rod at the reel location. The only time I may be effective is when you are soaking bait . If casting and retrieving a lure or jigging the weight and drag of the lure combined with the lever action of the rod will surely make it tip heavy let alone when a fish is hooked up . Unless you want it to hang nice on the wall to me it’s a moot point. Build to be light weight .

Freddwhy (Rapt-Ryte)

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.sub-174-240-130.myvzw.com)
Date: August 24, 2019 11:11AM

If it feels good to you in your mock up, go with it. Handle length is a personal thing, and is one of things that makes a custom rod custom.
Norm

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: August 24, 2019 07:05PM

Good points from Spencer.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: August 24, 2019 10:20PM

A nice thing about a long handle on a 9 foot steel head rod, is that you can can tuck the handle under your arm when fighting a big fish.

Take care

Posted by: Robert Ford (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: August 25, 2019 02:36AM

I like a having a full handle on my steelhead rods so the tip feels lighter but it's all personal preference. Mock it up and test cast it. I build a NFC 6-12 casting spiral wrapped drift rod and it's the nicest I have ever fished.

Posted by: Jeremy Wagner (24.56.120.---)
Date: August 25, 2019 08:27AM

Mark, mock up your grips, tape your guides on and take a few test casts with the rod. I’ve done this on several occasions and it typically only takes a few casts to get dialed in. I would think that 14-15” would be a good starting point for a steelhead rod.

Jeremy

Date: August 25, 2019 03:01PM

You don't have to guess, tape some arbors so the reel seat can slide with tension, install guides and reel.
Put your fishing clothes on and slide things around till you have what you like, just he advised back in the early morning 90's we went with loge rods to cast our light offering further and to be able to hold more line out of the water, improving our drift and lure depth. If you need max sensitivity use a short rod, everything requires some compromise.

Date: August 25, 2019 04:27PM

You don't have to guess, tape some arbors so the reel seat can slide with tension, install guides and reel.
Put your fishing clothes on and slide things around till you have what you like, just he advised back in the early morning 90's we went with loge rods to cast our light offering further and to be able to hold more line out of the water, improving our drift and lure depth. If you need max sensitivity use a short rod, everything requires some compromise.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster