I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Best fly rod blank for $125
Posted by: david taylor (---.hsd1.co.comcast.net)
Date: August 19, 2019 11:32AM

Regular price or on sale, what do folks think is the best bang for the buck fly rod blank for around $125. Thinking 9 ft. 6 wt.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Best fly rod blank for $125
Posted by: Drew Pollock (162.119.128.---)
Date: August 19, 2019 01:46PM

Rod Geeks. Very nice blanks, custom colors, good performance.

Very similar (if not identical) to St Croix SCIV blanks.

[rodgeeks.com]

$106 plus a $15 custom color and you're still under budget. I'm normally not a "custom color" guy, but being able to order it for $15 and it's perfect means all my builds have a custom color. Their darker metallics are beautiful.

Drew

Posted by: Donald La Mar (---.lightspeed.lsvlky.sbcglobal.net)
Date: August 19, 2019 02:24PM

It depends on your definition of "best". Best tri-hex bamboo blank goes out the door north of $500 if you can find someone in this country to make it for you. $125 is not doing to buy you a lot if anything for the better (best?) s-glass blanks by well regarded makers. The same is true for tradition, hex bamboo.

For carbon fiber (graphite), and again with the caveat your definition of "best bang" might well vary from mine or the rest of the world, my top of mind names in no special order of value at about $125 per copy are TFO, Blue Halo, Xi, and Batson.

Did I mention it depends on how you define best? How do you value aesthetics vs warranty vs action & power vs materials, etc.?

Posted by: david taylor (---.hsd1.co.comcast.net)
Date: August 19, 2019 02:54PM

Thanks for responses. I should have clarified more. Material: Carbon fibre for sure. Aesthetics/color: Important but not critical. Function: Trout in medium size rivers in the Rocky Mountain West. Dry flies and nymphs, some smaller streamers. Mostly 4 and 5 x tippets. Action: Medium Fast to Fast. Don't want a 2x4 stiff. Needs to be able to cast to 60 feet with accuracy. Recently made H&H Xi 9ft 5 wt. Decent rod. Would want a little faster action than Xi. Have an old TFO TiCrX in 9 ft 5 wt. Too stiff overall.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: August 19, 2019 02:54PM

$125 will buy you a very good fly rod blank from a number of different manufacturers.

Posted by: Mud Hole Custom Tackle (---.se.biz.rr.com)
Date: August 19, 2019 03:32PM

Have you looked at the MHX line?

9' 6wt. 4 pc. at $133
[www.mudhole.com]
9' 6wt. 2 pc. at $107.25
[www.mudhole.com]

For a jump to the Native series:
Color-Clearwater - 9' 6wt. 4 pc. at $225
[www.mudhole.com]
Color-Satin Black - 9' 6wt. 4 pc. at $225
[www.mudhole.com]

Keep in mind - FREE SHIPPING ON ORDERS OVER $99!

Regards.
Team Mud Hole Custom Tackle
Web: [www.mudhole.com]
Email: sales@mudhole.com
Toll Free Phone #: 1-866-790-RODS (7637)

Stay Connected with us:
FaceBook: [www.facebook.com]
YouTube: [www.youtube.com]
Instagram: [www.instagram.com]
Tik Tok: Tik Tok: [www.tiktok.com]
Twitter: @mudholetackle

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/19/2019 04:24PM by Mud Hole Custom Tackle.

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.97.252.156.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: August 19, 2019 03:53PM

You can add $19 to that Rod Geeks blank for shipping. Not sure what others charge.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/20/2019 02:56PM by Lynn Behler.

Posted by: Scott Giaquinto (---.dhs.gov)
Date: August 20, 2019 12:51AM

You could try the Pac Bay Arctos. I built a 10' 7wt for great lakes steelhead and it's plenty fast. Unfortunately I haven't built a 9' rod with that blank for comparison (yet) but probably will eventually. H&H usually has them on sale for 25% off once a month.

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: August 20, 2019 11:06AM

I have built on a number of the American Tackle Matrix fly rod blanks. They are surprisingly nice blanks for the money.
Norm

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: August 20, 2019 12:37PM

From your description of what your use will be I think you would do better with a more traditional action rather than going with the current trend of "faster is better?" But you seem to prefer fast. Regardless, I think your first decision needs to be what kind of action you want. Then you can narrow it down. Good recommendations above, check if their actions sound right.

Posted by: Shawn Giguere (172.58.168.---)
Date: August 26, 2019 07:27PM

Batson has a good fly blank for around 90$ i just usrd one of there rods on a build

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster