I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

thread tensioner issues
Posted by: Neil Toland (---.dsl.louisacomm.net)
Date: August 19, 2019 10:39AM

Starting to have issues with thread getting fuzzies and tension not staying consistent on my Flex Coat DL713 wrapper. Do these thread tensioners wear out over time? Could it be just old thread? Using size A thread.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: thread tensioner issues
Posted by: John Cates (---.austin.res.rr.com)
Date: August 19, 2019 10:57AM

Hey Neil

It could be the thread, how long have you had the wrapper? We have recently upgraded our tension devices with a set of teflon washers to avoid these issues with all types of thread. Call or email and I will send you a set. 512-858-7742 or flexcoat@gmail.com

Flex Coat Company
Professional Rod Building Supplies
www.flexcoat.com

Date: August 19, 2019 11:10AM

John Cates Wrote:
-----------------------------------------------------
> It could be the thread, how long have you had the
> wrapper? We have recently upgraded our tension
> devices with a set of teflon washers to avoid
> these issues with all types of thread. Call or
> email and I will send you a set. 512-858-7742 or
> flexcoat@gmail.com

Thanks John. Wrapper is several years old. Thread is pretty old to most likely. I did call you folks this morning and they all ready set me up with a set of the washers to be mailed out. Just thought I'd ask on here too. Also ordered some fresh thread.

Appreciate your service!
NT

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: August 19, 2019 11:10AM

Check any pigtails that route the thread to or from the tensioner. Rarely do they groove, but it's one place to check.

Look at the thread you're using - on the spool before it reaches the wrapper hardware. How does it look?

Date: August 19, 2019 11:14AM

Tom,
The thread 'looks' OK. Even tried three different spools. Just seems to vary in tension when wrapping and I think it ends up to tight damaging the thread. Bet these new washers will be the fix. I will try some new thread before putting on the washers just to see if it is maybe the thread.

Posted by: Roger Templon (---.paw.cpe.atlanticbb.net)
Date: August 19, 2019 11:19AM

Neil
Sometimes applying a lot of pressure (tightness) to the thread will also make microscopic fuzzies to pop out on some threads. I have backed off the tension on my thread tensioner a little and i see less fizzies with certain threads.
Rog

Posted by: John Cates (---.austin.res.rr.com)
Date: August 19, 2019 11:25AM

Ok, Neil. I am glad we have taken care of you. Please don't hesitate to reach out to me via email or phone and I will be more than happy to talk to you and help resolve any issues you have in rod building.

Flex Coat Company
Professional Rod Building Supplies
www.flexcoat.com

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: August 19, 2019 11:56AM

Customer service at its best!
Norm

Date: August 19, 2019 05:51PM

Yep, first class

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: August 20, 2019 01:15PM

Neil,
If you have some age on your tension device, you can refresh the tension disks by the use of 800-1000 wet and dry sandpaper used wet.

Basically, all that you need to do, is to polish the disks with the wet and dry paper used wet and then rinsed off. Put the disks back on the device, set the tension and you will be good to go.

When, adjusting the tension device, start with it loose and gradually tighten the nut until you are where you need to be for the correct tension.

I use the same device and have never done anything to the disks and have built hundreds of rods using the device.

I do not use metallic thread with this device, since there are potential issues with metallic thread and pinching the thread.

But, I never main wrap guides with metallic thread. I do use metallic thread for trim wraps, but do not use any tension device. I will cut off a foot to 2 feet of thread for the trim bands and hold tension as needed with my hands. Easy and no issues using this method at all.

Millions of articles of clothing are made every day of the year using sewing machines that are essentially identical to the tension device that you mention. They have no issues with the tension devices and as long as the thread is not metallic - you should not either.

------------------
By the way, if you run across a spool of thread that is giving you fuzzies, take it and pitch it into the nearest garbage can.

You may try to use it and put it back into your thread supply only to have it happen again, when you try it some time in the future.

Over the years, over many many different spools and different brands of thread, I have had about 4 spools of thread that gave me issues with fuzzies. Into the garbage they went, never to be used again. No thread in the thread box with fuzzies, so no thread ever used on the rod.

By the way, I have made my own rod stand and for changing thread direction, I use a ceramic insert rod guide for changing the thread direction. Never an issues with the rod guide causing any issues with the thread.

A picture of the thread tension device that I have used to build all of my rods over the years.
It is an oak board to hold the tension device and a piece of nylon cutting board to supply the base and have it nice and slick so that it moves easily over the surface of the rod bench.

I couple of holes in the front for a steel shaft to hold the thread as well as a spare spool of thread.

[www.rodbuilding.org]

When I use lb spools of thread, I use this thread stand that was made from a pine board and a coat hanger. The thread is taken off of the top of the spool in a fashion that is identical to the way that thread spools are set up for industrial sewing machine. No added tension trying to turn a heavy spool of thread that would affect the thread tension.

The thread path comes off the top of the spool over to one side, and then back down to be at the same level as the thread guide is on my thread tension device. I just set the large thread spool behind my tension device so it is convenient but out of the way.

[www.rodbuilding.org]

A video on using a thread stand and the tension devices on an industrial sewing machine.

Similar to millions of machines used daily around the world.

[www.youtube.com]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster