I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Running guides train: same size or decreasing ?
Posted by: Alex Corvin (---.bb60246.ctm.net)
Date: August 18, 2019 07:06AM

Hi, I am going to build a baitcast rod.

I checked Fuji recommendation is two bigger stripper guides, then all running guides of the same size.

eg. For 6.6ft rod: KW10, KW5.5, then 3 x KB4.5 and 4 x KT4.5.....so the running guides are all 4.5 size.

While I measure the guides of some of my baitcast rods, the running guides sizes decrease gradually.

eg. Maybe a 12, a 10, an 8, two 6, two 5.5, and finally two 5.....

Why and which is better ? I think the K guides is a newer concept which chock down by 2 or 3 guides then all smaller running guides are the same size?

Furthermore, the blank is rated 5~8kg but I am going to fish it for Barramundi (where 40lb and sometimes 60lb leader would be used). Should I use 5.5 or 6 size for the running? And the first two stripper guies maybe KW12 and KW8?

THanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Running guides train: same size or decreasing ?
Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: August 18, 2019 09:53AM

Alex,
As has been posted many times before.

Let the use and action of the rod determine the size of the guides.
Once the line is in control and running true down the rod, there is no reason to make the guides any smaller.

So, two guides to control the line and then have constant sized running guides of a size appropriate for the line and use of the rod is perfect.

But, to answer your question, for a heavy action rod running very heavy line for big fish, the use of a like like 5.5 or 6 or even larger if you like would work well for you. Remember, if you have terminal tackle, knots or swivels that need to to to the tip top and running guides for your style of fishing, the tip top and running guides need to accommodate those items.
On the other hand, if you are only running line with no knots through the tip top and running guides, they can certainly be smaller.

Be safe

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: August 18, 2019 10:25AM

For that heavy powered rod I would not use KT's at all. Either all 2 foot guides or at least KB's to the end. I hope some builders more experienced than I on heavy rods will chip in.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: August 18, 2019 10:43AM

You really don't need more than two sizes on a casting rod and rarely more than perhaps three on a spinning rod. Many companies simply use every size available - it's pleasing to the eye but the line doesn't require it.

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: August 18, 2019 02:27PM

Which means a two guide reduction train works well on spin. I've not heard that advocated before, at least don't remember it. I've done it and found that the rods cast fine.

Posted by: Lance Schreckenbach (---.static.tie.cl)
Date: August 18, 2019 03:13PM

Tom Kirkman Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> You really don't need more than two sizes on a
> casting rod and rarely more than perhaps three on
> a spinning rod. Many companies simply use every
> size available - it's pleasing to the eye but the
> line doesn't require it.
>
> .............
Tom's advice is spot on. Custom rod building doesn't require trying to please the masses. You can make fishing rods the way that works and performs best. Most of the rods sold retail are not made correctly to perform the best as a combination of blank, guide sizes, spacing and reel seat and grip placement.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster