I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Blank for rockfish/lingcod?
Posted by: Justin Hoesterey (---.msi.ucsb.edu)
Date: August 16, 2019 04:01PM

After building my first rod which was a kit with all the components bundled together already, I’m already itching to get my second build going already, but this time want to customize it a bit more. I’m wanting to build a slightly lighter setup than what I currently use for the ¾ or overnight boats out of So Cal Channel Islands area, which is mostly 90% rockfish and lingcod fishing with 6-12oz torpedo sinkers in 150-300ft of water. Not planning on casting those weights obviously, but I was wondering if the rod blanks I am considering would be up to the task for use with dropper loop rigs with those weights? My current set up is overkill for those fish so something a little lighter would be nice. Some input would be greatly appreciated!

The first rod I built was a Rainshadow blank and I was extremely happy with it, so figured I would give their E-glass series a go for a boat rod. Was considering either the SWB80M(15-25lbs, ½-2oz lures) or SWB80MH(15-30lbs ¾-3oz) lures. I figure the MH can handle those weights, but wondering if the M would be slightly too light? The M would fill a nice gap between my 15# and 25# setups I have currently.

Additionally, when sizing for the reel seat, how do I know what size I should get without having the blank and grips on hand? Same with the winding check, am I just going to have to guesstimate? Thanks in advance!!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Blank for rockfish/lingcod?
Posted by: Grant Darby (---.172.121.68.nwinternet.com)
Date: August 17, 2019 11:33AM

Pick up the phone and call Batson's. All your questions answered in minutes.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (172.58.45.---)
Date: August 17, 2019 02:22PM

Look at the butt diameter and get a reel seat ID the same size or slightly smaller. Even better way, have your supplier size one for you at your rear grip length. Right reel seat, correct tip top and reel seat, grips, etc. in rod tube no extra shipping many times.

Posted by: Justin Hoesterey (---.sb.sd.cox.net)
Date: August 18, 2019 09:34AM

Awesome, thanks, will do! I think I know where I am ordering from, I'll get their opinions. Thanks all!

Posted by: Derick Jahnke (172.58.45.---)
Date: August 24, 2019 12:17PM

Not to hi jack the thread. But what weight e glass rod would make an effective casting rod for jetty fishing (rock bass, small ling cod etc) using lead head jigs with grubs? I was thinking about using one of the value e glass rods from CRB amd extending it to 9 feet as it would possibly be used for light surf work and light plunking. Would be casting in the 1/2 -2 ounce range for jetty/surf and lobbing 5 ounces maybe 15 feet for winter steelhead.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster