I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Cleaning Perma Gloss
Posted by: Glenn McMurrian (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: August 15, 2019 02:54PM

Is there any other cleaner that will clean Perma Gloss off of brushes other then the cleaner that Perma Gloss sells.
I have tried everything from 100% D A to epoxy cleaner and everything but the Puma Gross cleaner seem to leave a tacky residue on the brush.

Glenn McMurrian

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 08/15/2019 07:36PM by Glenn McMurrian.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Cleaning Perma Gloss
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: August 15, 2019 09:42PM

Acetone is the best bet but you have to get on it quickly as the PG sets very fast.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: August 16, 2019 10:13AM

Glenn,
The option that I use for all of my rod building is to use 5 cent disposable brushes.

I use them once, and then throw them away.

Since the finish and perma gloss flows off the ends of the brush, you can do an excellent job with an inexpensive brush.

Good luck

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.97.252.156.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: August 16, 2019 08:05PM

I'm with Roger here , whatever your favorite moisture curing urethane.

Posted by: herb canter (---.atmc.net)
Date: August 16, 2019 10:45PM

I am going against the popular opinion here and strongly dislike disposable brushes as in my experience they always tend to leave a few bristles behind and my eyesight isn't sharp enough anymore to spot them easily . I know Roger has said he hasn't experienced this but i have. When i use Permagloss i strongly prefer using other methods to apply it but i do use brushes for guide wraps.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: August 17, 2019 08:07AM

Herb,
With respect to the comment about the inexpensive brushes leaving bristles behind.

You are correct, there are quite a few inexpensive brushes that leave bristles behind and that is unacceptable.

However, the disposable brushes that I use are the very inexpensive brushes that are sold in Children's coloring section. I expect that they are essentially the same design and manufacture of the brushes that are sold on the market for the application of rod coating that are sold as sets with the rod coating product.

Although very inexpensive, they typically do not shed and leave bristles behind.

For example, these are the brushes that I typically use:

[www.michaels.com]

Essentially, I have just not had problems with these brushes losing any bristles. The current cost for these brushes are about 10 cents each. I use them in a single application manner. One rod, one coat, one brush.
If a 2nd coat is needed, a 2nd brush is used. 10 cents per brush per coat of finish is likely less than what one would pay for cleaner to try to clean up a different brush.

With a disposable brush, there is never any cleaner used. There are never any solvent fumes in the shop and there is no muss and fuss about cleaning.

I mix in disposable cups that I obtain from the Deli section of the local grocery store.
I don't use any metal pans and I don't use any aluminum foil to spread the finish on to slow the cure time.
I mix in the plastic cup for 2 minutes, apply the finish over the wraps and then apply just a touch of gentle heat for the finish to flow and level and that is the end of that coat of finish.

I seldom use more than one coat of finish to coat rod wraps since it is not necessary with the standard build finish that I have used my entire time building rods.

Every additional coat of finish normally means an additional day of drying time before rod shipment. Time is money, so the single day for the rod build and rod coating is standard. A day for cure time and then the rod can be shipped two days after the build starts.

When I finish the application of a coat of finish, I lay the brush on the top of the application cup, and use the contents of the cup to check for the cure of the applied epoxy without touching the rod. When the coat has cured, the brush and cup are tossed and that ends the need for the brush and the cup. If you haven't tried any of this style brushes, you might give them a go and see what you find with your rod coating experience.

Be safe

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster