I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

MicroWave Stripper for a Fly Rod
Posted by: Donald La Mar (---.lightspeed.lsvlky.sbcglobal.net)
Date: August 12, 2019 06:43PM

I admit my hands shook more than usual while wrapping a MicroWave 18 stripping guide on a 10 weight fly rod. It just looked wrong. [www.rodbuilding.org]

But not to worry, it really, truly works. The lawn tarpon were impressed by the test casts, and I'm seriously warming to its appearance.

Seriously, it is a very viable stripping guide option for 8 to 10 weight fly rods.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: MicroWave Stripper for a Fly Rod
Posted by: herb canter (---.atmc.net)
Date: August 12, 2019 07:25PM

About time somebody tested it and gave it a thumbs up , thanks for doing it and commenting about it.

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: August 12, 2019 08:35PM

Was there any benefit?

Posted by: Lance Schreckenbach (---.static.tie.cl)
Date: August 12, 2019 09:04PM

Thank you Donald. This is how we advance in our technology, by pushing the limits and acting on non-conventional ideas. I don't even care if works, but it is a step in the right direction. Really not sure why it would not work. Rapid reduction and suppression of the wave formation in the line will no doubt make a better performing rod.

Posted by: Donald La Mar (---.lightspeed.lsvlky.sbcglobal.net)
Date: August 12, 2019 10:25PM

Phil

At the moment I call it a push on the benefit front. I would have used a couple REC Ti strippers on a 10 weight. I've no idea if there is a net weight reduction or gain. The impact of any net weight gain or loss should be minimal considering the guide's location. The rod cast OK and as well as a 9' 9 weight which is my go to rod for the few occasions I have to fish the surf. But, I am not a divine gift to fly casting, and a more competent caster might or might not find fault. There is less than $5 cost difference between a couple appropriately sized Recoil double foot strippers vs a MicroWave 18 and s snake in place of a second stripping guide.

I am waiting for a report from the recipients of the rod (friends residing in FL) who frequently target red fish, snook, and tarpon.

Is there a commanding reason to use the MicroWave 18? Maybe, maybe not. Is there a casting distance benefit? Not for me. Is there a difference between casting to lawn tarpon vs casting from a pitching deck to the real thing? There sure is, and line management is no issue out on the lawn. It's different story on that pitching deck, and the MicroWave might or might not really shine there. Is there as yet a known or suspected problem? There is not.

The only negative I thus far see, and it's really minor, is a fellow will need to take a few extra seconds to clean all the guide's nooks and crannies to get all the nasty salt water flushed away.

Date: August 12, 2019 11:01PM

Thank you Donald! If there is a casting benefit, I believe it may be when "shooting" many coils of line.

Posted by: Mark Talmo (71.147.59.---)
Date: August 13, 2019 12:50AM

This is an interesting subject for a non-fly guy like me. Hopefully there are many replies and opinions for me to follow!!!

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Posted by: Don @ American Tackle (---.biz.bhn.net)
Date: August 13, 2019 08:48AM

Thank you for the amazing review Donald... we thought the same thing during our many years of testing.

800-516-1750 ext. 1207 / don@americantackle.us

Rod Building..... It's What We Do.

Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (---.lightspeed.rcsntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: August 14, 2019 08:09AM

IMO - albeit without experience with it - all you have accomplished is reducing the size of the stripping guide to the "inner" ring. Since a fly line has a linear flow vs line coming off a spinning reel , the mechanics don't make sense to me.
You're also giving up on the non-corrosion properties of nickle/titanium alloy.
I'm sure it works - but just reduce the stripping guide size to a #12 from a #20 and you've done the same thing.
Herb

Posted by: sam fox (108.59.99.---)
Date: August 14, 2019 09:16AM

This works quite well when you are building combination fly/spin pack rods.

Posted by: ben belote (---.zoominternet.net)
Date: August 14, 2019 11:00AM

Herb, you,ll be glad to hear someone is thinking of adding another ring, the TRCG(three ring circus guide)..lol.

Posted by: Mark Talmo (71.147.59.---)
Date: August 16, 2019 07:24PM

Oh, Ben.

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Date: August 16, 2019 07:59PM

your right Mark but i have a low silliness threshold..i,m working on it..but i still have these lapses..lol.

Date: August 17, 2019 03:48PM

Ben, does the TRCG have a Big Top?

Date: August 17, 2019 04:16PM

Ha! now cut that out..no more clowning around..lol.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster