I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pro kote entire rod blank?
Posted by: Ted Taylor (---.28.242.118.nvw.nv.digis.net)
Date: August 11, 2019 07:16PM

First time rod builder, first post in forum. I’m building a fly rod for my father for Christmas. I have the lower half of blank complete except final coat of finish and I’m wondering if it’s possible to coat entire rod with finish (Pro kote) ?? It’s a MHX blank smooth graphite if I remember correctly. I’m not really liking the look of guide wraps finished in gloss on the matte blank.
Thanks in advance on advice, Ted

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Pro kote entire rod blank?
Posted by: David Baylor (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: August 11, 2019 08:13PM

Guide finish is way too heavy. Perma Gloss or a similar product would be the way to go. Use the search function and put in something like "refinishing a rod blank" and you will get a lot of information of how to do it. Be sure to set the search to " all dates"

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: August 11, 2019 08:32PM

It is a little late to coat the blank after the guides are on! As mentioned above wrap epoxy is not what one wants coat an entire blank with as it is heavy and tends to be too soft. If you must coat it, Perma Gloss is a good choice. Keep in mind any coating will add weight, which is less then desired on a fly rod.

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: August 11, 2019 09:13PM

I see no problem with coating a rod after the guides are on IF ONE VERIFIES ON A TEST PIECE that the Perma Gloss or Lumiseal doesn't attack the guide wrap Pro Kote. I don't think it does, but a test is a must.

The above comments about not doing it with Pro Kote or any other guide wrap are absolutely correct. It will be a heavy, unresponsive, mess. Won't even look good. Be sure you get good, expert input on using the Permagloss or Lumiseal. They dry super fast so you have to work according to a solid plan, and do it fast. No time for figuring it out while doing it. Best idea would be to not do it, IMHO. The blank does not need a coating, will last forever without it.

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: August 11, 2019 09:30PM

Michael, Perma Gloss is best applied by wiping quickly the length of the blank, of course this is NOT possible with already mounted guides in the way! Stopping and starting with the very quick set Perma Gloss, especially with no experience with the product is a prescription for problems!

Posted by: Ted Taylor (---.28.242.118.nvw.nv.digis.net)
Date: August 12, 2019 12:24AM

Thank you guys for your input. Probably best I leave it as is and try on next blank.

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: August 12, 2019 12:26AM

If I were you I would not coat the blank with any thing. A matte blank with epoxy finished wraps looks just fine. If it’s not broken don’t fix it!
Norm

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: August 12, 2019 06:56AM

Phil, I know how it's applied, been there done that. It's less of a sure thing with guides on, but it can be done. I agree, better to leave it alone, especially if not already familiar with the product's characteristics.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster