I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Removing a reel seat
Posted by: Fred Kneipp (---.cnrocmta01.res.dyn.suddenlink.net)
Date: August 11, 2019 11:21AM

I built a rod that I put the reel seat to close to the butt end.It is a good blank but I am not happy with my reel seat placement, any advice on removing a reel seat without ruining the blank. Any help appreciated!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Removing a reel seat
Posted by: John DeMartini (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: August 11, 2019 03:00PM

Check the "crooked reel seat" post below by Davit Sytsma.

John

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: August 11, 2019 03:01PM

I remove them by placing them in ziplock bag and then boiling it for 15 minutes. This usually softens the epoxy enough to remove the seat. Sometimes it takes more then one boiling session, not often.

Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (---.lightspeed.rcsntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: August 11, 2019 06:38PM

Depends on epoxy used.
The epoxy I use - West System GFlex will not come off with boiling - or a butane torch.
Herb

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: August 11, 2019 08:34PM

Herb, I'm not familiar with the GFlex, is there a benefit to using it instead of something like Rod Bond?

Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (---.lightspeed.rcsntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: August 11, 2019 09:14PM

GFlex is a new flexible equal two part epoxy made by Gougeon Bros. [www.westsystem.com] It goes by the name West System. It is carried by West Marine - but no relation.
I have used West System epoxies for 40 years to bed fitting on my boats; to form compression "tubes" in balsa cored boats; to "pot" bolts in concrete balconies for attachment of hurricane shutter tracks; to attach cork rings to rod grips; to attach reel seats and bushings.
It was developed to build cold-formed plywood boats of all sizes. [www.westsystem.com]
As well as other projects [gougeon.com]

I have yet to have anything attached with West System fail.

BUT - if you use it - don't expect to be able to remove what you attached. Like I said - a torch will not even do it. The foam bushing fails - but the epoxy holds.
You will never have a seat that "spins".
Herb

Posted by: david taylor (---.hsd1.co.comcast.net)
Date: August 11, 2019 11:26PM

I had a 30 year old rod and did the boil the real seat in water method. I would boil for a couple minutes and try to remove. After 4 or 5 of several minutes each the epoxy softened and I got it off. Don't twist much or apply too much torque or you can break the blank. Also, too much heat is not good for graphite, so really be careful. A bit of a hit or miss method. Also, if you glued a wooden spacer directly on the blank, that will be harder to get off.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: August 12, 2019 11:30AM

Fred,
I have used the following method to remove reel seats on all of the rods that were rebuilt and it worked every time.

Take a dremel tool with an abrasive cut off wheel and cut nearly through the reel seat full length on each side of the reel seat.

Then, take a heat gun and heat up the reel seat nice and warm.

Finally, take a side bladed screwdriver that will just fit into the slot cut by the abrasive dremel cut off wheel and give it a good twist on each side of the reel seat.

As the screwdriver twists, it expands the cut slot, splits the reel seat and when completed on both sides of the reel seat, the reel seat is free of the blank.

Then, I use a single edged razor blade to scrape any remaining stuff that was under the reel seat after heating the stuff with the heat gun to soften the stuff and scrape it off the blank.

Hold the razor blade at 90 degrees or perpendicular to the blank to avoid cutting into the blank fibers. This will be a scraping action, rather than a slicing action.

If there is a lot of stuff - epoxy and arbor material of what every source - often the use of a slip joint pliers - working on the heated stuff, will quickly scrape the bulk of the material off of the blank.

But, with the right equipment, normally one doesn't need more than 5 minutes to completely remove the reel seat and clean up the blank back to the bare blank.

p.s.
I never attempt to reuse any reel seat. If a reel seat needs to come off, it is destroyed as it comes off and time to move on with a new reel seat. No pointing in struggling with minutes or hours to remove a reel seat that may very well end up damaged after removal, which would make it unusable anyway. As the saying goes - time is money. Get the seat off and move on to the rest of your day.

Best wishes.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/12/2019 11:33AM by roger wilson.

Posted by: Philip Engle (---.hsd1.ga.comcast.net)
Date: August 20, 2019 06:13PM

Exactly what Roger said. I learned that on this site a number of years ago. And have used this technique successfully with good results in some hard fighting fish (tuna, yellowtail, shark) that would stress a weakened blank. And I'd keep the heat thing to the minimum as IMO it weakens the underlying blank.

Posted by: Tim Veale (---.yyz.frontiernetworks.ca)
Date: August 22, 2019 12:03PM

Gflex by Gougeon is a breakthru epoxy product. I have used it for many projects where minimal flexibility is desired to keep joints from fracturing under load. All the benefits of epoxy strength with the added benefit being slightly flexible. On fly rods, I have experimented gluing guides onto a blank instead of thread wrapping. It works fine and I have a 10 ft 9 weight fly rod that I've been using for several years without any of the glued-on guides breaking-off. All this to say Gflex is topnotch in my view.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster