I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

A Sincere Thank You
Posted by: Mark Talmo (71.147.59.---)
Date: August 07, 2019 04:48PM

Although also feeling obligated, I sincerely WANT to thank those of you who have helped me shorten my rodbuilding learning curve by answering my (multitude of) newbie questions and enduring my “Habitual Over-Thinking”. I would have never guessed a properly constructed custom rod would out-perform a counter-part store-bought rod by such a huge margin.
I finally got the opportunity to experience the performance of six spinning rods I built by fishing them in the High Sierra on a family and extended family trip. While the majority of my time was devoted to helping my grand kids and others requiring assistance, I did find some time to wet my own line now and then.
For more than 35 years, it has been a rare case to not catch fish at Weir Pond, my favorite spot on Bishop Creek. While the small dam has created a fly fisherman’s paradise, I use it with my spinning gear if not over-crowded with fly guys. Although 8-10in trout is the norm, I have caught a few 14 inchers. I have never been able to cast far enough to explore a certain gap in the reeds on the far side that I figured was holding the really big fish. No flotation craft, even float tubes, are allowed and the water in the middle too deep for waders, so my target on the other side of the pond had always remained a mystery, until now! My first cautious cast flew almost as far as I had ever been able to cast previously. The second cast flew over the opening of the gap in the reeds, over the still water behind it and into the reeds on the far side; 40ft farther than I had ever been able to cast before! If that wasn’t reward enough, I hooked a nice 16in rainbow as well.
First and foremost, I am NOT saying I build a better rod than any of you, almost the contrary; I am still learning. What I am saying is that the unselfish release of personal experience and exploration of rodbuilding by many of you has given me the gift of building rods with some outrageous attributes. I do not need to name names; you know who you are and are the ones constantly on the site helping anyone and everyone. I will make one exception though; Norman Miller. He has withstood hours of my rambling on the phone, emails and on the site as well. I consider him a true friend and cherish that friendship as well as all I have learned from him. You other guys ain’t too bad either!!!!!!!!!!!
THANK YOU ALL SO MUCH!!!

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: A Sincere Thank You
Date: August 07, 2019 05:04PM

By the way, I was using 50-60 year old, NOS, vintage FG Conolon blanks with my CARL ferrule system as compared to my previous, sub $75.00 CF rods.

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.97.252.156.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: August 07, 2019 07:53PM

Mark, I have always enjoyed your posts. Norm has been a Godsend!

Posted by: Don Mang (---.hsd1.pa.comcast.net)
Date: August 08, 2019 07:33AM

Well I guess I have to chime in. When I first started building, same thing so many questions. Mark you were my first one on one contact, and lead me to Norm. I to have had many personal contacts with him. He truly is passionate about the craft, and will go out of his way to help in any way! My first 6 build were 5'6" UL trout rods. Norm helped me all the way thru the first couple, even sent me (2) sets of guides, and placement instructions. The first build following Norm's advice, I placed the guides, and thought what the heck is this (rapid reduction). After the build and fishing it, I was sold! And built 3 others for friends I have fished for trout for 45+ years. They all said they needed a magnifying glass to thread the line, it is now all their go to rods. So I to give a SHOUT OUT to Norm, which I also consider a good friend, and hope to one day fish with. Like Mark said you all help with the learning curve THANK You all!

Posted by: Jim Ising (---.dthn.centurylink.net)
Date: August 08, 2019 12:30PM

Norm's having a good day.

Date: August 09, 2019 01:43PM

Jim,
I cannot imagine Norman ever having a bad day!!!

Mark Talmo

Date: August 09, 2019 01:56PM

Lynn and Don,
I am sure Norman is following this thread but is too humble to reply. I can guarantee that he takes immense satisfaction in helping anyone and everyone and that assistance is backed by 40 years of experience = one can bet their last dollar the advise is right-on-the-money! Heck, Norman builds more than 200 per year; most of us will never catch-up with his knowledge, insight and understanding of the craft. Are you blushing, Norman?

Mark Talmo

Posted by: Anthony Unger (---.15.236.249.res-cmts.ovr.ptd.net)
Date: August 11, 2019 09:25PM

While were at it..

Id be lost without him.. I dont even know how its possible for one man to be this generous, kind, knowledgeable, patient, and understanding.. Norm is extremly good at boosting confidence as well.. I am going to throw a line in with him probably in spring... Nothing's planned yet, but i need to shake his hand..

Norm, if you are reading...
You say you ha e no artistic talent.. Look around... This is your talent.. A true master of the craft.. Your always there to answer questions.. And usually go incredibly in depth.. Even if its a question ive asked multiple times.. I know you dont want fame... But you should be noted in rod building history as a true promoter of the trade.. Your a great teacher.. (Sorry ;) professor)

I cant leave everyone else out though.. Roger you have been a big help... Lynn, sorry buddy your stuck with me for life... Tom, keep the good times rollin'...

I could go on for days.. Thank you all!

Date: August 11, 2019 11:59PM

Touché, Anthony!!!!!

Mark Talmo

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.97.252.156.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: August 12, 2019 06:37PM

Oh, you guys!!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster