I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Cork Grip with Spacers
Posted by: John_McCormick (---.mid.dyn.suddenlink.net)
Date: August 04, 2019 10:22PM

Hi everyone,

I am fairly new to rod making (just over 2 years), and I am looking to make some grips for a few builds I am working on. I have made all cork grips in the past and shaped them on a lathe. The question is, I want to add some color to a cork grip I am working on and I was wondering what sort of material to use for this accent? I am assuming EVA foam would be where to start, however, what happens if I want to put a protective coat on the cork? Will the EVA react differently than the cork or is there a good technique out there? The accents wouldn't be too over-the-top, probably one or so disk on each end of the rod grip. Thanks in advance.

-John Mc

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Cork Grip with Spacers
Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: August 05, 2019 02:55AM

John,
Just forget about the protective coat of anything over the cork and you will be good to go.

Date: August 05, 2019 08:11AM

Roger,

Thanks for the reply. Do you have a recommended thickness for the spacers? I have some 2 mm EVA foam I use for fly tying I was planning on using. Thanks again.

-John Mc

Posted by: Doug Cox (---.dsl.rtmc.net)
Date: August 05, 2019 08:32AM

Poker chips make excellent spacers, lots of colors and very easy to sand.

Posted by: Donald La Mar (---.lightspeed.lsvlky.sbcglobal.net)
Date: August 05, 2019 08:15PM

John

Cork is water "resistant" but . . .

Cork can be colored or shaded with MinWax stain, Rite Dye, and maybe other dyes or stains. It sometimes takes more than a little trail and error to get the hue you desire.

My favorite protective coating for cork is TruOil. It requires 8 or more very thin and sanded coats (think French polish) to build finish depth. Spar varnish (long oil variety) and epoxy finish also work.

No idea how TruOil, spar or epoxy might work with poker chips or material other than cork.

Posted by: James Clark (---.mobile.uscc.net)
Date: August 05, 2019 11:12PM

I have used tru oil on gun stocks with some plastic and it always turns out great. I use very fine sandpaper between coats and out it o with my fingers with nitrile gloves then hang it up to dry.

Date: August 05, 2019 11:12PM

I have used tru oil on gun stocks with some plastic and it always turns out great. I use very fine sandpaper between coats and out it o with my fingers with nitrile gloves then hang it up to dry.

Date: August 06, 2019 12:01AM

Thanks for all the replies. Poker chips sound like a really inventive idea that would really make the grip pop. I will have to look into TruOil. Thanks for the techniques.

-John Mc

Date: August 06, 2019 01:02AM

John,
If you work with poker chips, do yourself a favor and drill holes in the middle of a bunch of chips and bolt them on a threaded rod to use in your lathe as a mandrel and experiment with different sanding and polishing techniques to get the edges of the chips to look as you wish on your final integrated cork grip.

I have used various types of robbing compounds and buffers and buffing wheels to polish out auto headlights, as well as auto tail lights, and also polish out various metals and different woods.

You may find that the use of the same sanding techniques that you use for your cork, may not be the best thing to use to polish the plastic that you integrate into the cork grips. So, you want to experiment in finding the best technique and materials to get the look that you wish - both with the poker chips, Eva, and cork when all used together or by themselves.

It might be interesting to build an entire grip out of poker chips. After all, when you look at some of the commercial rod makers, some of them are using handles made of different kinds of molded materials like plastic, nylon and other things.
But, I would imagine that one could glue and machine poker chips just fine, if you used the right techniques. For example, normally when working with a low melting point like plastic, one normally has to keep the speeds down on a lathe when doing machining and polishing on the material to avoid heat build up and inadvertent melting of the material.

Take care

Date: August 06, 2019 01:04AM

John,
If you work with poker chips, do yourself a favor and drill holes in the middle of a bunch of chips and bolt them on a threaded rod to use in your lathe as a mandrel and experiment with different sanding and polishing techniques to get the edges of the chips to look as you wish on your final integrated cork grip.

I have used various types of robbing compounds and buffers and buffing wheels to polish out auto headlights, as well as auto tail lights, and also polish out various metals and different woods.

You may find that the use of the same sanding techniques that you use for your cork, may not be the best thing to use to polish the plastic that you integrate into the cork grips. So, you want to experiment in finding the best technique and materials to get the look that you wish - both with the poker chips, Eva, and cork when all used together or by themselves.

It might be interesting to build an entire grip out of poker chips. After all, when you look at some of the commercial rod makers, some of them are using handles made of different kinds of molded materials like plastic, nylon and other things.
But, I would imagine that one could glue and machine poker chips just fine, if you used the right techniques. For example, normally when working with a low melting point like plastic, one normally has to keep the speeds down on a lathe when doing machining and polishing on the material to avoid heat build up and inadvertent melting of the material.

Take care

Date: August 06, 2019 01:11AM

When working with thin plastics you also have to be very slow and deliberate while drilling to not crack the plastic.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (172.58.45.---)
Date: August 06, 2019 10:00AM

There are all the gasket materials from paper, to cork, to rubber.different combos of cork/black rubber, the reds in the R. B. Meiser spey grips is red plumbers gasget. Thin black lines or spacers don't come faster than thin black paper.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/06/2019 10:15AM by Spencer Phipps.

Posted by: Mark Blabaum (199.241.225.---)
Date: August 10, 2019 04:04PM

All of these will work for accents, you can use epoxy or Poly glues to insert in a grip. [www.texasknife.com]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster