I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Why is St. Croix leaving Rod building market and what 5wt rod blank manufacturers are recommended?
Posted by: Russ Amato (---.directcom.com)
Date: August 05, 2019 01:28AM

With the exit of major rod building suppliers like St. Croix what are you all using for your rod blank suppliers? I know Sage is always a good option, but what about Phoenix and MHX?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Why is St. Croix leaving Rod building market and what 5wt rod blank manufacturers are recommended?
Posted by: herb canter (---.atmc.net)
Date: August 05, 2019 02:56AM

All of them are good , Rainshadow , Sage CTS, Mudholes MHX, American Tackle blanks , RodGeeks blanks ( St. Croix in actuality) NFC, Fuji Point Blank blanks etc... everyone has their own personal preference and all perform admirably.

Re: Why is St. Croix leaving Rod building market and what 5wt rod blank manufacturers are recommended?
Posted by: Rod Siemens (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: August 05, 2019 07:52AM

herb canter Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> All of them are good , Rainshadow , Sage CTS,
> Mudholes MHX, American Tackle blanks , RodGeeks
> blanks ( St. Croix in actuality) NFC, Fuji Point
> Blank blanks etc... everyone has their own
> personal preference and all perform admirably.

I don't build fly rods but for spinning rod blanks I went with the RodGeeks C2 & C4 blanks. Identical to the St Croic SCII and SCIV blanks, and they cost less.

Date: August 05, 2019 09:12AM

Thanks for feedback. I have had a recent failure on a Rainshadow Eternity II Fly blank and waiting to see if they provide a replacement 3rd section from butt.

Date: August 05, 2019 09:21AM

How often do you experience rod failure from these suppliers that are due to manufacturing defects?

Posted by: Don @ American Tackle (---.biz.bhn.net)
Date: August 05, 2019 09:42AM

For your 5wt.. check out the Matrix from American Tackle... great casting blanks that do not break you...

800-516-1750 ext. 1207 / don@americantackle.us

Rod Building..... It's What We Do.

Posted by: Bob McKamey (---.se.biz.rr.com)
Date: August 05, 2019 09:49AM

Hello Russ - MHX Rod Blanks has a well rounded line-up of rod blanks to cover just about any fishing application Freshwater & saltwater casting, spinning and fly. Mud Hole Custom Tackle carries every MHX model. Here is a link to the fly rod blanks - [www.mudhole.com] - Thank You

Bob McKamey
Mud Hole Custom Tackle
bobm@mudhole.com

Date: August 05, 2019 10:41AM

Thanks Bob, building two MHX rods right now but no established confidence in their rod quality and strength. Do you know if Mudhole posts detail specifications like Specific modulus and strain rates?

Posted by: Bob McKamey (---.se.biz.rr.com)
Date: August 05, 2019 11:36AM

Hello Russ -- We have various series of MHX Rod Blanks that are manufactured from different modulus materials. You can e-mail me directly - bobm@mudhole.com - with the specific rod blanks that you would like to know about and I will gladly assist you. Thank You & We Appreciate Your Business!

Bob McKamey
Mud Hole Custom Tackle
bobm@mudhole.com

Posted by: Russ Amato (107.77.245.---)
Date: August 05, 2019 01:27PM

Thanks Bob. We'll do.

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: August 05, 2019 02:47PM

In answer to your question regarding manufacturing defects.....almost never! Most failures are user caused, second are shipping caused.

Posted by: herb canter (---.atmc.net)
Date: August 05, 2019 02:52PM

Russ Amato Wrote:
> How often do you experience rod failure from these
> suppliers that are due to manufacturing defects?

The failure rate of modern blanks due to manufacturing defects like the ones being discussed in this thread are exceedingly low and it's something that i don't worry about at all . If somebody has had repeated failures after building on today's blanks i would bet the house that it's something they're doing that is causing it .

Improper builds , being overly careless while fishing , transporting or storing them etc... as long as the blanks are being used within their design parameters blank failure is virtually non existent . Now decades ago blank failures using higher mod materials was far more common for a variety of reasons but not these days .

Blank manufacturers will not stiff you if a blank is found to be defective due to legit manufacturing defects but again , the overwhelming majority of blank failures ARE NOT due to manufacturing defects .

Date: August 05, 2019 03:03PM

Thanks for All great feedback . After being a rod builder for 15 years now , I have only seen one rod failure .

Posted by: Drew Pollock (---.201-34-174.ftth.swbr.surewest.net)
Date: August 07, 2019 04:14AM

Russ Amato Wrote:
> Thanks for All great feedback . After being a rod
> builder for 15 years now , I have only seen one
> rod failure .

I had one this year. I built a nice rod from a well regarded brand for a very good friend in 2012. He's caught dozens of Coho salmon with it. He's a good caster and doesn't abuse the rod, as in, he's careful with his gear. This year while casting, the top section snapped cleanly. There was no evidence of damage or blemish. Just an immediate 90 degree clean break. The blank itself, is no longer available. So I don't know if that's a defect, or the luck of the draw, but for a replacement, I'm building him a RodGeeks 8 weight.

I look at most breakage as unavoidable and just bad luck. The rod gets hit with a lure, or stepped on, or abused in some other way. But this one was none of those and broke at a relatively low stress time.

I'm with you on the disappointing fact that St Croix no longer sells their excellent blanks. I love those SCV fly blanks and believe they build into the best performing fly rods all things considered.

Drew

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: August 07, 2019 12:58PM

Drew,
It is fine to build him a replacement rod. But, at the same time you may as well repair the current rod.

With a clean tip break, just use an inner plug and an outer over sleeve of 3-4 inches long with a 3/8th thread wrap on each end of the oversleeve, and the rod will be back in service in 30 minutes plus the drying time for the thread wrap finish.
If you use fiberglass oversleeve, that is not to thick, there will be very little difference in the action of the rod before and after the repair.

Best wishes.

Posted by: Drew Pollock (---.201-34-174.ftth.swbr.surewest.net)
Date: August 07, 2019 06:34PM

Thanks Roger but it's too late for that! Only the handle section and the guides came home from Alaska. The handle section is going to be a memento at my friend's mountain cabin, and the guides are going back on his new rod, since they are perfectly good REC fly guides and Fuji Titanium stripper guides.

I've never repaired a rod, and so far been lucky that of the 4 or 5 our group has broken over the years, I've been mostly been able to get replacement sections. I would be a good skill to learn, and one day I will. Thanks!

Drew

Posted by: Jeff Eller (12.179.110.---)
Date: August 21, 2019 10:37AM

Here in Southeast Georgia, I build on many MHX blanks. Charter captains love the light salt water models for strength and durability, and the custom market couldn't be any happier with the Elite and Elite pro series. St Croix is a no build for me any more. Had 2 SC2 inshore blanks, from two different guys break at exactly the same place within a year of each other. I will not build on a Croix any longer, so good riddens as far as i'm concerned. The MHX line on the other hand, NEVER had one returned for anything other than a stepped on guide, or ring pop. I have several in my personal arsenal as well. If you guys haven't tried one, give them a shot!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster