I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Rod blank repair
Posted by: Adam Ganshirt (68.21.151.---)
Date: August 04, 2019 08:12PM

I have attempted to post photos of the damage I will describe below, but they are not uploading.

This is the same 13 wt fly rod I proposed repurposing into a spinning rod.

The damage is a friction burn caused when I jerry rigged the blank in my cork lathe to reshape the handle. I used a rubber band over a cloth to apply downward pressure because the blank kept jumping out of the cradle. (No, I didn't think it through and have been kicking myself ever since).

The burn is approximately 1/8" wide and extends from the spine of the blank around to the bottom of the blank (guide side) on the right side. Basically a semicircle around the blank. It is about the depth of a sheet of paper. It is 4" above the short cork foregrip, and 4-1/2" below the first stripper guide.

It doesn't sound like much, but considering its intended use (big fish) and the area where it is, I'm pretty sure it is a catastophic failure waiting to happen.

My initial repair was to wrap it with thread from 1-1/4" above and below creating a 2-1/2" bandaid with 2 coats of Flex Coat slow cure epoxy. Upon further thought, with the wraps circling the same direction as the damage, I don't think it would be very effective.

Sleeving the area with a piece of blank seems like it would be the only effective repair. My concern is that the sleeve would create a flat spot in the blank. I'm not worried about casting action, a 13 wt is already a broomstick. I'm concerned the flat spot would create weak points above and below the sleeve when fighting a fish into the butt section. I'm guessing the correct choice is a lower modulus, slower piece of blank as the sleeve, then wrapping that with thread to hide it. Maybe fiberglass blank section?

I have zero experience with this, so any suggestions are welcomed.

Also, if you happen to have a piece of material you believe would be appropriate I would be happy to pay for it, and shipping. I have a paypal account.

My blank is a G Loomis gl3, 3 pc, 13 wt.

Thanks

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/04/2019 08:15PM by Adam Ganshirt.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Rod blank repair
Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: August 04, 2019 09:09PM

I would wrap the blank with a short piece of fiberglass cloth, full 360 degrees, bond it to the blank. Then test it. Do a dead lift test on it to see if it will take being bent to 90 degrees. If yes, no problem. If no, go on to something else.

Most likely if the damage is as thin as a sheet of paper it will not involve the fibers of the blank, the wrap will be overkill, and all will be OK.

Posted by: Chuck McIntyre (---.hsd1.co.comcast.net)
Date: August 04, 2019 09:16PM

Which section is the issue on? At what point is it on the section? A measurement from the bottom of it could help as well. What are the OD dimension at said "burn" point?

And frankly, at that miniscule of a depth,although the damage may extend deeper, I wonder how much of a mountain you may be making of a molehill. Why not just find a thread color that matches the blank, or wrap a section of the rod measuring one inch on each side of the burn,with natural colored silk and coat it in multiple layers over that for some external reinforcement, with Permagloss? Or a similar product. Then fish it until it breaks and call it good. A rod life lived well and fully.

Posted by: Adam Ganshirt (68.21.151.---)
Date: August 04, 2019 09:34PM

Damage is in the butt section, 26" up from the end of the fighting butt. O.D. at the burn is approximately 1-5/16ths inches. The old Loomis gl3 blanks don't have a clear coat finish like newer blanks, it's just the bare material.

Posted by: Chuck McIntyre (---.hsd1.co.comcast.net)
Date: August 04, 2019 11:27PM

Adam, this is what I would do with it. I'd lay down a wrap of thread that matched the guides. Be sure to match the wrap with tipping or inlays to match the stripper if you wish. Coat it with several layers of a pre-catalized urethane finish. I use a product that none of the advertisers/supporters of this forum carry. Then, I'd use a metallic gel pen to write my name on it, coat it with CP and let dry sufficiently. Then coat it with more finish of your choice. Call it good. If the rod breaks at some point, hang it on a wall. Tell the great story of the one that broke your rod and got away. Even it the breaks, I hope you get the fish. An 8x10 framed picture of the fish is an added bonus.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: August 05, 2019 03:00AM

Adam,
If you have guides on the rod, remove them.
Then, put a 3 inch long oversleeve on the damaged area.
Wrap the ends of the oversleeve to avoid any splitting of the oversleeve from tension.
You are close enough to the butt section of the blank that any slight stiffness in that area of the blank, will be for all intents and purposes - negligible.

Put guides on the rod and finish as usual.

Enjoy the use of the rod with no fear of breakage in the damaged area.

Good luck

Date: August 05, 2019 07:01AM

The sleeve as Roger suggests is the sure way to ensure it won't break. If only one or two guides to remove, not a big deal. If you can find a glass sleeve, great, but even if a sleeve from a cheap graphite rod is used, I don't think you'll have a flat spot in the action. I repaired one a little farther up once and it works great.

Posted by: Adam Ganshirt (162.89.0.---)
Date: August 05, 2019 08:48AM

Thanks everyone for the help. I think I will try to sleeve the damage with a short section of blank, then wrap it to match my guides. Any suggestions on where to purchase a donor blank that won't cost an arm and a leg?

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: August 05, 2019 10:43AM

Go to your local sporting good stores and see if they have any broken rods. A lot of times they will just give them to you. Or check with a local rod builder, most will have a stash of broken rods and may be willing to find a piece that will fit. Flea markets, Salvation Army, Good will, other types of junk shops, even your fishing friends may have junk rods. Just look around.
Can also use an internal plug to reinforce under the damaged area, but would require removing the butt cap.
Norm

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: August 05, 2019 12:41PM

A thread wrap will not add any protection for the type of damage you indicate. If the damage is deep enough to get into the carbon fibers, an over sleeve is probably your best bet.

Date: August 05, 2019 06:11PM

No need for an internal plug. You don't want to make the repair area too stiff.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: August 05, 2019 10:49PM

Go to the salvation army, good will or pawn shops to pick up very inexpensive blanks.

Also a lot of sporting goods dealers have donation boxes where broken or unwanted rods are left. If you have a need for a particular rod or blank from the box, just talk to the sales associate in the area and they will likely give you as many of them as you can use.

Take care

Posted by: Adam Ganshirt (162.89.0.---)
Date: August 06, 2019 10:33AM

I never thought to ask retailers about broken/damaged rods. Thanks I'll give that a shot. Maybe I'm getting too particular thinking the repair piece needs to be from a "high end" manufacturer?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/06/2019 10:34AM by Adam Ganshirt.

Date: August 06, 2019 05:41PM

The repair sleeve is better if not from a "high end" rod. Since the outer diameter of the sleeve is greater than the blank being repaired, it will be more rigid based on the diameter, not the modulus. It is better to have a lower modulus sleeve to balance/match the characteristics of the blank.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster