I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Best drop shot setup needed
Posted by: Glenn McMurrian (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: August 03, 2019 12:00AM

What is a good setup for drop shot fishing in river current they will be using 1/8 oz to 1/4 oz with 8 lb to 10 lb test line in the 6.8 to 7 ft range casting rod and used for drop shot worms.

Glenn McMurrian

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/06/2019 07:24PM by Glenn McMurrian.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Best shot setup
Posted by: Donald R Campbell (---.socal.res.rr.com)
Date: August 03, 2019 02:49AM

IMHO - Point Blank PB691MLXF - One of the best drop shot rods I have ever built for a customer.

Don Campbell
don@sensorfishingrods.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/03/2019 03:05AM by Donald R Campbell.

Posted by: David Baylor (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: August 04, 2019 05:16AM

A casting rod would be a very poor choice for a drop shot with the size weights being mentioned. Especially in current. There are certainly casting reels that can handle the kind of weights being mentioned, but in current and with a drop shot rig in general, you want line to play out easily. Sure you can strip line and feed line off the reel, but I can tell you from experience that doing so gets tiring pretty quickly.

If the rod is for a customer I'd try and talk them into a spinning rod. If it's for personal use, I'd definitely reconsider.

Posted by: Glenn McMurrian (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: August 04, 2019 05:01PM

David Baylor Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> A casting rod would be a very poor choice for a
> drop shot with the size weights being mentioned.
> Especially in current. There are certainly casting
> reels that can handle the kind of weights being
> mentioned, but in current and with a drop shot rig
> in general, you want line to play out easily. Sure
> you can strip line and feed line off the reel, but
> I can tell you from experience that doing so gets
> tiring pretty quickly.
>
> If the rod is for a customer I'd try and talk them
> into a spinning rod. If it's for personal use, I'd
> definitely reconsider.

Good point David I will point that out.

Glenn McMurrian

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: August 05, 2019 03:02AM

When you look through the rod catalogs, it seems that a fairly universal drop shot rod for this jig weight is a 6'10" M-L power with an extra fast tip section. Build it up as a spinning rod and you will be good to go.

Take care

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: August 05, 2019 06:21PM

I've used the Batson RX8+ 822.5 for my drop shot rod for over 13 years now. Set up as a bait caster with the weights mentioned.
Don't think it was a poor choice or would have switched to a spinning rod.

Posted by: Thomas Kaufmann (---.mobile.att.net)
Date: August 05, 2019 10:44PM

I completely agree, I used the Eternity 2 replacement for the 822.5 as a caster and it easily handles those weights

Posted by: James Taylor (---.wavecable.com)
Date: August 06, 2019 01:20PM

Sounds like you’d probably go with a bit more of a Medium power. In which case we’d recommend from our RainShadow Lineup:

Immortal IMMS610MXF - [www.rainshadowrodblanks.com]

Or Revelation REVS610MXF - [www.rainshadowrodblanks.com]

If you can find the Eternity drop shop model with one of our dealers (we're out of stock at the warehouse), that's a high popular model.

James Taylor
Batson Enterprises
BatsonEnterprises.com | RainShadowRodBlanks.com | ALPSForeCast.com | Build2Fish.com

Posted by: David Baylor (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: August 06, 2019 05:52PM

Steve and Thomas, I respect and value your opinions. Just to be clear .... I'm not saying you can't fish a drop shot on a casting rod. Of course you can. But if you're using an 1/8 oz weight on a drop shot in river current and you have a spinning rod and a casting rod rigged with identical baits and weights, and since we build our own rods, built on identical blanks, which are you going to reach for first? And if you can honestly say you'd pick up the casting rod, then more power to you.

I mean no disrespect ....... but I'm picking up the spinning rod. IMO it's a far better choice.

Posted by: Thomas Kaufmann (---.mobile.att.net)
Date: August 06, 2019 06:39PM

No offense taken but for me I will still pick up the caster every time!!! I fish them both with the same line and my reels are set much looser than most so for me there is no drawback. If I were fishing a shot in current I most likely not use 1/8 ounce anyhow as there will not be enough weight to put the bait in my preferred strike zone, but that is just me

Re: Best drop shot setup needed
Posted by: Randy Kruger (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: August 08, 2019 08:51AM

The American Tackle Bushido 69/4-10 drop shot blank is a great choice. Set us as either Spinning or Casting will work, but usually spinning is good. Drop Shot fishing usually does not require long cast, more of a dragging the bait along the bottom kind of fishing, but it does require a very quick, responsive rod. I use the Bushido 69/8-15 and cut 6 inches off of the butt section for Walleye Jigging in the Saginaw River and a lot of folks use the same set up for fishing the Detroit. Great quickness, and lots of power to set hooks in the river current. (Not so much on the Saginaw, but the Detroit can be pretty quick- and keeping the line vertical while still contacting bottom with a 1oz weight and feeling walleyes can be tricky). Good Luck.

Re: Best drop shot setup needed
Posted by: Glenn McMurrian (45.52.215.---)
Date: September 30, 2019 06:18PM

Randy Kruger Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The American Tackle Bushido 69/4-10 drop shot
> blank is a great choice. Set us as either
> Spinning or Casting will work, but usually
> spinning is good. Drop Shot fishing usually does
> not require long cast, more of a dragging the bait
> along the bottom kind of fishing, but it does
> require a very quick, responsive rod. I use the
> Bushido 69/8-15 and cut 6 inches off of the butt
> section for Walleye Jigging in the Saginaw River
> and a lot of folks use the same set up for fishing
> the Detroit. Great quickness, and lots of power to
> set hooks in the river current. (Not so much on
> the Saginaw, but the Detroit can be pretty quick-
> and keeping the line vertical while still
> contacting bottom with a 1oz weight and feeling
> walleyes can be tricky). Good Luck

Thanks Randy this blank sounds perfect for all my needs since I will be fishing high current rivers and it as if the bushido does help to have a bit of power to move those worms in the current of a river.

Glenn McMurrian

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster