I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Light Flipping Blank
Posted by: Denham Bruce (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: July 31, 2019 04:34PM

Tired of looking for a manufacturer that makes a flipping rod that doesn't boast broomstick-like qualities so I've decided to tie one up myself.

I live up in the Pacific Northwest and the bass we have are smaller and the cover isn't as nasty as other places. The first flipping rod I built was an MHX FS904 which was their lightest flipping blank but still proved to be too stiff for the applications I was using it for. More often than not I'm flipping 1/2oz-3/4oz weights into cover with straight braid so I need a blank with a moderate action with enough play in the tip to load up what would be dubbed as "lighter" weights by flipping standards.

Currently the blank I have in my sights is the NFC 766HM but as many of you know their customer service is lacking so I'm being forced to look elsewhere. I contacted MudHole the other day and their flipping blanks are all too heavy for what I'm looking for but the gentleman on the phone recommended a heavy crankbait blank (CB907) that he said sported the same taper as that FS904 but was just a little lighter of a rod. I'm not opposed to using a crankbait blank for something it was not intended but I have also never really heard of doing that. In addition I talked to a guy at AmTac about their flipping blank which sports a heavy-fast action and rated up to 2oz. Those specifications scared me but after explaining how I were to use the rod he insisted that it in fact fished lighter than its ratings suggest and would fit the bill.

In summary, there are just too many options and being that I'm unable to actually hold any of these blanks it feels as though I'm just guessing at this point. If you're reading this and a specific blank comes to mind that sounds like it might suite my needs I would love to hear about it!

Thanks, Denham

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Light Flipping Blank
Posted by: Jim Ising (---.dthn.centurylink.net)
Date: July 31, 2019 04:48PM

CPB761HM is a POINT Blank we added to the line a few months ago as a Flippin' blank. It will be VERY close to the NFC in weight and action. We made it specifically for a factory wanting a light flippin' blank and they have been extremely pleased. We can arrange to get one to any dealer you choose.

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: July 31, 2019 07:02PM

Take Jim up on his offer, Point Blanks are phenomenal. The CPB761HM has and Action angle of 66 and an Intrinsic Power of 895 grams. It should be very close to what you are looking for. It is not a broom stick but still has plenty of power with a moderate action.
Norm

Posted by: Thomas Kaufmann (---.mobile.att.net)
Date: July 31, 2019 08:06PM

You should look into the blank suggested. I personally fish one and consistently boat flip 6lb fish and bigger as well, 4’s and 5’s are no problem whatsoever. It has a great moderate action that is perfect for flipping. I have the Northfork 766 you spoke of. I think the point blank has more power, but yet in hand it feels lighter and is just phenomenal. Keep in mind you need to take into account the weight of your trailer as well as that of that of your jig as well.

Many know I have been rather outspoken about Point Blank in the past but they hit the mark with this one, now they just need a heavier version that has a moderate taper to go with it

I should mention I use mine mostly for 1/2 &3/4 football heads in light buck brush and open ledges to 30’.

I will end this in saying I have a couple more being shipped to me as I type this. That is how much I like em.

Tom

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/01/2019 08:49AM by Thomas Kaufmann.

Posted by: Bob McKamey (---.se.biz.rr.com)
Date: August 01, 2019 09:06AM

Hello Denham Bruce - Here is another MHX Rod Blank to consider that is listed in the Elite Pro Series. It is used by many of our Pro Bass Fisherman that tour all over the U.S. fishing large scale events. When needing to down scale for a pitchin or flippin rod, the NEPS90HF-MHX is a proven winner! Very light weight in the hand, plenty of mid and butt power, super sensitive and durable. It is also a versatile rod blank that can be used for other techniques such as carolina rig, worming , jig fishing and medium size swim baits just to name a few others. The weight range that you are using for your lighter technique, fits perfectly to this rod blank. Here is a link to the MHX Elite Pro Rod Blank - [www.mudhole.com] - Thank You

Bob McKamey
Mud Hole Custom Tackle
bobm@mudhole.com

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 08/01/2019 10:11AM by Bob McKamey.

Posted by: James Taylor (---.wavecable.com)
Date: August 01, 2019 10:55AM

Hi Denham,
Sounds like you’re throwing a fairly heavy setup with ½-3/4oz weight plus assuming plastic and hook, moving it up to the ¾-1oz. range. If that’s the case then we can’t go too light on the blank, so we’re thinking Medium Heavy would be best.

We’re familiar with the areas you’re fishing, we’re in Western Washington so assume you’re going over to Pot Holes and Banks.

Our normal recommendation would be our RainShadow Revelation REVFS76MH - [www.rainshadowrodblanks.com]

But to lighten it up some we’d go with these:
RainShadow Revelation REVC76MH - [www.rainshadowrodblanks.com]
RainShadow Immortal IMMC76MH - [www.rainshadowrodblanks.com]

You can go M on both those models but the weight of your setup would be pushing them a bit.

James Taylor
Batson Enterprises
BatsonEnterprises.com | RainShadowRodBlanks.com | ALPSForeCast.com | Build2Fish.com

Date: August 01, 2019 06:39PM

Thanks for the feedback so far guys!

That Point Blank surely looks like a great blank and after checking the specs its perfect for what I'm looking for. Only problem for me is that I think its a bit out of my budget for the build I'm planning. My bass rods seem to get beat up more than others which is why I tend to be a bit more frugal with the money I put into them. I'd hate to build up a nice rod like that and have it break on me like my last flipping stick.

As for the Rainshadow rods I have tied up about 5 or 6 of them as they are probably my favorite rods for salmon and steelhead. You guys have some of the best blanks I've just had a hard time finding first hand info on people who have fished your bass blanks. James you're right tho, medium heavy is the sweet spot I just need something with a light enough tip in case I want to downsize and fish sparse to no cover. The MHXs are great too but having tied up a few of them as well and not found what I was looking for I am looking to try something new.

Does anyone have experience with the Liberty blanks from GetBit? After looking at their FS764 the specs seem to be right and the blank is apparently modeled after the old Shikari 764 which was at one time a very popular blank.

Date: August 01, 2019 07:04PM

I haven built on the Rainshadows that were suggested but have built the Revc72mh and it will work well for what you want to do. I have fished and own the Shikari sh764 it is perfect. Get a hold of Kevin at Get Bit he will have the best first hand knowledge on the Liberty lineup.

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: August 01, 2019 09:07PM

Denham
My absolute favorite blanks are Batson's Rain Shadow blanks

That being said.
If your looking for a moderate action flipping blank (my preference also)
Batson does not have a flipping blank the fills that need.

It will the same with Mud Hole's MHX blank.
Both brands are Fast action

Liberty is a good blank, but their FS764 is not modeled after the Shikari 764 (IMO best flipping/pitching blank ever)
The Liberty FX764 is a fast action like the others, Shikari was a moderate action

Unfortunately, if you want a more moderate Action blank, you are going to have to bite the bullet on the price and go with
The Point Blank CPB761HM (Which is a fantastic blank)
or
one of the NFC moderate action flipping blanks (which for obvious reasons I cannot recommend.)

Date: August 01, 2019 09:31PM

Steve you sure are right in that for whatever reason its hard to come across a moderate flipping blank. I am only intrigued by the Liberty because I read that it actually fishes like a moderate rod, but I'll have no clue really until I call them tomorrow.

Also, the Point Blank flipping stick being recommended is listed as having a fast action, if I'm looking at the right blank that is. Listed as a medium-heavy fast action.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/01/2019 09:58PM by Denham Bruce.

Date: August 01, 2019 11:07PM

Denham, Point Blank does have trouble with its blank listings, this is definitely a moderate blank!! I know you don’t want to put out the money but this is in my opinion the best moderate flip blank offered currently I feel it even bests my Northfork HM flip blanks. Point Blank is a company that will stand behind its products, I wish I could say t have seen the same ( I have a customer who cannot get them to respond to him regarding a broken blank “HM 765 Flip”)

Date: August 02, 2019 12:22AM

Its true NFC has the worst customer service imaginable. They know it and they don't even care.

If I'm not sold on that Liberty blank I'll give it some thought and maybe I'll end up trying the Point Blank. There's enough guys vouching for it so I'm sure its a sweet rod.

Date: August 02, 2019 12:27AM

Denham, the CPB761HM is very a new Point Blank addition and has not been listed on the Anglers Resource’s website. Contact Jim Ising at Anglers Resource. I think he will be more than happy to fill you in on this blank. I personally own and use several rods built on Point Blank and have made a number of them for other die hard bass fishermen, and we all love them. Even though they are very light in weight, they are as tough as nails.
Norm

Date: August 05, 2019 02:51PM

Emailed Jim about the Point Blank, just waiting for a reply. Could someone who has it tell me the specs for it?

Date: August 05, 2019 02:51PM

Emailed Jim about the Point Blank, just waiting for a reply. Could someone who has it tell me the specs for it?

Date: August 05, 2019 03:32PM

Here is Jim ising’s Original post on the blank.
[www.rodbuilding.org]
Norm

Date: August 05, 2019 04:43PM

Rated 1-4oz? Sounds like a very heavy blank...

Date: August 05, 2019 09:06PM

No, as Jim mentioned he was still working on that part of the specs. You have to remember that flipping a heavy weight is not the same as.casting one. The IP of 895 gm puts it into what most would consider to be MH to H power, certainly not having an IP value of over 1000 + grams common with most flipping sticks. The Action angle of 66 indicates it’s what most would consider a moderate to moderate fast action. The CCS values gives much more information than do the specs listed by most manufacturers. There are no standards for the designations of power and action between various manufacturers.
Norm

Date: August 05, 2019 10:50PM

Denham,

This is not a blank that most would consider heavy flipping blank. I personally believe you will be very happy it. I am extremely picky in what I fish and build for my customers. I would not recommend it if I didn’t believe in it.

Posted by: Joel Babin (98.39.46.---)
Date: January 27, 2021 04:42PM

Would the CPB761HM make a good chatterbait rod??

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster