I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Powermatic model 90
Posted by: Fernando Arellano (---.nwrk.east.verizon.net)
Date: July 30, 2019 02:48PM

I have an opportunity to buy a Power matic Model 90, can anybody tell me anything about this wood lathe. It's going for about $500 is this worth it, can anybody respond please. Thanks in advance.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Powermatic model 90
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: July 30, 2019 05:43PM

It is a high-quality, American made, commercial ability lathe. Most modern lathes of the same build and quality will run you over $4000 today. Assuming it is in good shape, $500 is a bargain. But again, that's assuming there is not overly wrong with it.

Date: July 30, 2019 06:13PM

What would you guys recommend and what attachments are recommended?

Date: July 30, 2019 07:35PM

Anybody that would own such a lathe may well have everything you need. This isn't a toy - you're talking about a very serious lathe.

Posted by: Fernando Arellano (---.pools.spcsdns.net)
Date: July 30, 2019 08:34PM

Thanks, what else would you recommend, and what attachments are recommended?

Date: July 30, 2019 09:10PM

Self centering chuck. Live tail stock. Jacobs chuck for tail stock. Good turning tools - Roughing gouge, parting tool and perhaps a skew chisel. And a proper means for sharpening them.

Posted by: Fernando Arellano (---.pools.cgn.spcsdns.net)
Date: July 31, 2019 12:25AM

Tom I always appreciate your help, I met you at ICRBE and I was impressed with the whole operation. Which lathe would you recommend, because I might not purchase the powermatic because I'll have to run 220 electric in the garage. And I will be attending 2020 ICRBE, would you happen to have next year's dates yet.

Posted by: Jay Dubay (---.clv.wideopenwest.com)
Date: July 31, 2019 05:35AM

The Question {You} have to ask yourself, Is, Are you just going to use it for Rod grips and rod building only? Or are you going to get into Med size and up, wood turning as well? Such as Bowls, vase's, Art pieces, And whatnot?? If just rod-building you don't need a lot of lathe, Any of the small Chinese ones will work well. I do like variable speed. And a Bed extension for the little extra room. Look around you area for a woodturners club, Lot's of times members are ready to upgrade to a larger lathe, So you might find a good used deal out their!

Date: July 31, 2019 08:05AM

If you're just using this for rod building then the Model 90 is a whole lot more than you'll ever need. I'd look at any of the small mini or midi lathes from Rikon, Jet, Delta, etc. A name brand. Variable speed is a plus. Same accessories as mentioned above will be helpful.

Date: August 01, 2019 01:12AM

Thank you very much! Everybody's input has been very helpful.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: August 01, 2019 09:35AM

Fernando,
Just remember, as with any tool - one begins to use it more and more. The more you use it, the more you will want to use it and to do a better and better job. As your wishes increase, your needs for accessories will increase.
After a while you will find that you have spent considerably more on accessories than you will have spent for the lathe originally.

But, having said that - this tool will allow you do do some phenomenal wood work of all kinds, including building rods.

Take care

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster