I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Fly rod blank for spinning rod
Posted by: Adam Ganshirt (68.21.151.---)
Date: July 29, 2019 06:36PM

Some of you may have come across my previous post about a damaged fly rod blank. I know that lighter fly rod blanks can be used to make fine ultra light spinning rods. What about the heavier ones? The damage on my blank (13 wt Loomis) is in just the right spot for a spinning reel seat if I repurposed it as a 9' surf/salmon rod. I have seen several tarpon fishermen here on the Texas coast using 9' salmon rods for tarpon off the jetties. The casting head of a 13 wt fly line is approximately 1 oz., which would work for throwing jigs heads and Hogy plastics. The action would be much softer than a purpose built spinning blank. I hate to just leave this thing in the safe unused, or throw it away. Does anyone have any experience with this? Any info is appreciated. Thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Fly rod blank for spinning rod
Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.97.252.156.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: July 29, 2019 07:18PM

If not possible to repair,I would say you have nothing to lose by trying it. Might end up with a gem.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/29/2019 07:20PM by Lynn Behler.

Posted by: John DeMartini (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: July 29, 2019 07:22PM

You are right you should not leave it in a safe unused.

My advise is to give it your best shot. Build the rod as you would like it to be and test it.

Setting up a trial rod is easy, assemble the rod but don't glue or finish any of the components and test it. If you are disappointed with the results you can always make adjustments. A cut here an extension there a posible guide relocation until you are satisfied.

Making spinning rods from fly rod blanks is not new. Do it, you have nothing to lose.It may wind up being a tremendous learning experience and confidence builder.

Good Luck

John

Posted by: Drew Pollock (---.201-34-174.ftth.swbr.surewest.net)
Date: July 30, 2019 12:05AM

I have built a bunch of 4 piece fly blanks into spinning rods. It's not a big deal. Just realize they do not fight a fish like a real spinning rod. But for making 4 piece travel rods, it works great. But they are much softer and slower than a spinning blank.

Now a 13 weight (did not realize there was such a thing) has got to be a pretty powerful rod. I'll bet it will be great as a spinning rod, and, you have nothing to loose. Your rod is already damaged.

My rule of thumb is to upsize by 2 the weight range of a fly blank. So If I'd fish for salmon with an 8 weight fly rod, I'd fish for the same salmon with a spinning rod made out of a 10 weight fly blank.

But in the end, real spinning rod blanks, make better spinning rods, than fly blanks made into spinning rods. This is no surprise.

Drew

Posted by: Mark Talmo (71.147.59.---)
Date: July 30, 2019 12:35AM

Adam,
Many will agree it is much better to utilize a fly blank to produces an ultralight spinning rod rather than the inverse. I have done it numerous times and have been very pleased with the results. Granted, I prefer a full-flexing ultralight rod to enhance the Fun-Factor of fighting smaller mountain trout, but locating a 7-8 ft, 1-4lb spinning blank produces minimal results. Many have argued using such a fly blank for a spinning rod produces a rod which is “sloppy”. To-each-his-own!!! I find them to be an absolute joy to fish, yet at times, requiring true ANGLEING to be exercised and executed. As for a 13wt blank converted to a spinning rod, I do not have a clue but agree with previous post suggesting to “go for it”. What have you got to lose other than knowledge? JMO. Keep us posted.

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Posted by: ben belote (---.zoominternet.net)
Date: July 30, 2019 07:46AM

Adam, this is one of the fun things of rod making..if this is your first repurpose, it won,t be your last..lol.

Posted by: Adam Ganshirt (162.89.0.---)
Date: July 30, 2019 10:33AM

Thanks everyone for the input. I would love to be able to find a replacement butt section and keep this as a fly rod, but it is highly unlikely. I will probably start this project in the winter, when fishing slows down here in Texas. I'm thinking it will be the equivalent of a medium heavy spinning rod once completed.

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.97.252.156.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: July 30, 2019 06:59PM

Is the butt section beyond all hope of repair?

Posted by: Adam Ganshirt (---.sub-174-207-23.myvzw.com)
Date: July 30, 2019 09:30PM

Yes, without going into too much detail; I basically burned through about 50% of the skin of the blank in one portion. Kind of like a second degree burn on your arm. It was caused by friction when I jerry rigged the blank in my cork lathe to reshape the handle.

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: July 31, 2019 11:44AM

Quality fly rods in heavier weights (9wt.+) are designed and built with the assumption most users will double-haul when they cast, which increases the strain on the blank by at least 50%. Spin casters do not double haul. These facts, combined with the shortened blank you will be working with should allow your finished flyspin rod to cast 2 ounces (total) weight and handle juvenile tarpon with ease.

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: July 31, 2019 12:00PM

It would be interesting to measure the CCS intrinsic power and Action angle on your shortened fly rod blank. If for nothing else than for comparison purposes, and having the hard data on hand.
Norm

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.lightspeed.miamfl.sbcglobal.net)
Date: August 01, 2019 09:35PM

I'd think it quite easy to fix, and well worth it, assuming you wish to have a high end 13 weight fly rod.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: August 02, 2019 12:50AM

I agree with both Lynn and Russel to try and repair the butt section, if you want to keep it as a fly rod. A break in this portion of the rod is relatively easy to fix without affecting function or feel.
Norm

Posted by: Adam Ganshirt (68.21.151.---)
Date: August 02, 2019 09:23AM

I would really prefer to repair it, I'm just not sure the best way to do it. It would be easier for those of you with experience to help me if I posted a pic of the damage. (Probably should have done that in the first place). The damage is currently overwrapped with thread, spanning about an inch either side of the burn. I will go ahead and take the wraps off and post a pic. I'm new to the forums, rules say no pics in messages. Does this apply to this situation, or just pics of finished work? Do I post the pic in photo gallery then just direct you guys to go check it out. Thanks for all the help thus far.

Posted by: Chuck McIntyre (172.58.59.---)
Date: August 05, 2019 01:18PM

As I understand it, pics are to be posted only in the pics section. Maybe it takes up too much space or bandwidth. Miscellaneous category would be best.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster