I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Getting finish into a double wrap
Posted by: Ricardo Ortiz (---.sd.sd.cox.net)
Date: July 28, 2019 06:59PM

Well guys I have a funny feeling something fishy is going on here. I rewrapped a used Calstar 700H with red metallic base and a double guide wrap. 1st wrap is a "C" size then a size "D" over the "C". I used Flex Coat Lite thinking is has a thinner viscosity and will get down through both wraps and to the blank. I warm the wraps with a heat gun, then I pour on the finish and I tried to "push" the finish in with the brush. I didn't notice the finish sinking in, maybe because I put a large brushful on to sink in?
I have seen in the past people wrap the "C" and coat with a light finish and wrap the "D" and then recoat. That may be an old technique. When I wrap I do use a bit of tension, could I be blocking the finish from getting in with a tight wrap?

What are the new techniques that I can use to avoid this? Is my 700H now a 196 with weak wraps??

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Getting finish into a double wrap
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: July 28, 2019 07:21PM

Well you aren't going to "push" finish into the wrap. What you needed to do, was use a finish with the longest pot life possible so that it would have adequate time to soak into the wraps as deeply as possible. Have to keep in mind, that every minute that passes the finish is getting thicker. Heating it only thins it momentarily, whereupon the set and thickening is then speeded up.

I tend to put a very light application of epoxy on the base wrap. Just enough to wet the threads, not enough to build any depth. Let set for until no longer tacky and then overwrap and finish that. Or... you could apply a coat of CP to the underwrap and wrap and finish over that. And no, this does not create a "weak" wrap.

Posted by: Donald La Mar (---.lightspeed.lsvlky.sbcglobal.net)
Date: July 28, 2019 07:30PM

Finish epoxy adds little strength to thread wraps. The finish protects the thread from moisture, dirt, grime and abrasion, and with some finishes UV.

Generally, the more thread tension and the more the thread is packed the less the epoxy finish penetrates. This is rarely a problem unless the wrap is to be a clear wrap.

Some finish epoxies can be thinned with acetone or DNA which reduces the finish viscosity but can have unknown downside impacts in addition to extending the epoxy cure time.

A light coat of epoxy to the under wraps before making the guide wraps might be an "old technique" but it works well most evry time.

Posted by: Nick Lam (---.lmi.net)
Date: July 28, 2019 07:33PM

I wouldn't warm the blank and then put finish on, rather reverse that order. Put the finish on, then warm it. The finish will absorb the heat so it doesn't transfer as much to the blank, also thinning it out considerably allowing it to soak into your wraps.

Best of luck,
Nick

Posted by: Bill Lewis (181.179.19.---)
Date: July 29, 2019 08:30AM

All I make are double wrapped rods. The easiest thing for me and the best results are obtained by putting a coat of epoxy on each wrap before proceeding. One side benefit of using epoxy after each wrap is the next wrap goes on much easier and faster. This is possibily due to the fact that I use only size A thread for all wraps? Bill

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: July 29, 2019 02:27PM

Ricardo,
10-4 on the previous comments.
After each layer of wrap, apply a thin coat of finish. After the finish has been applied, slightly heat the finish to let it flow and penetrate. Let it cure overnight and then do the top wrap and repeat the thread finish.

Take care

Posted by: Anthony Unger (---.15.232.186.res-cmts.ovr.ptd.net)
Date: August 01, 2019 07:41PM

A little off topic, but relevent i guess..

I just finished my first closed wrap, whats the best approach for finishing? Im assuming CP, then finish, im having a nightmare with the epoxy over the wrap.. Alot of bubbles.. And lack of penetration.. Im going to sand Tommorrow and apply a 3rd coat.. Only reason i bring this up on this thread is doing layers isnt really an option, yet thats kind of the only option you guys are giving it seems..

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: August 01, 2019 08:55PM

Anthony,
Very gentle heat will drive out the bubbles, thin the finish and let it all penetrate.

The key is GENTLE heat.

Too much heat and you boil the finish and it is ruined.

Be safe

If you look at manufacturing tour videos of rod building shops you will see every one does a flame over the finish after application, to drive out any few bubbles, thin the finish and to let the finish level.

All of the rod shops in town do the same thing when building. Just a pass of flame over the freshly applied epoxy to take care of the problems that you have listed.

Posted by: Anthony Unger (---.sub-174-201-18.myvzw.com)
Date: August 01, 2019 09:01PM

I do tend to overheat....

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster