I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Non curing thread wrap
Posted by: Rocky Lohman (---.om.om.cox.net)
Date: July 24, 2019 06:51PM

Hey guys new member here, and while I have followed the site for years but I’ve never had a need to post. Unfortunately now I do. Yesterday I coated my but wrap with ProKote in the packer so I could apply a decal as recommended my the manufacturer . It hasn’t dried , This is the first time this has ever happened to me. I am not willing to try going over it with the same and I’m out of my ProKote bottle. I do have some Thread Master. Can I put that over the uncurled finish or do I order more ProKote? This is certainly frustrating, Thanks for any suggestions.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Non curing thread wrap
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: July 24, 2019 07:05PM

Doubtful there is anything wrong with the finish. measuring and/or mixing, perhaps.

Yes you can apply Thread Master of the top of the ProKote.

Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (---.lightspeed.rcsntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: July 24, 2019 09:13PM

Yes - whether you believe it or not - you used the same component twice. Happens to the best. Must concentrate when mixing.
Herb

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: July 24, 2019 09:45PM

Look at the levels in your bottles - if they are the same or close to it, you have a mixing error. If one is noticeably higher or lower than the other, then it's the scenario that Herb stated. If the latter, wipe off as much as you can and then recoat with a proper mix. If the former, just recoat with a proper mix as is.

Date: July 24, 2019 10:07PM

Thanks guys. I used the small packets of ProKote that hold 6gr. I thought they would be convienent for guide repairs. I must not of gotten all of the products out . I’ll try my Thread Master.

Posted by: ben belote (---.zoominternet.net)
Date: July 25, 2019 12:29PM

be sure to mix well..that,s my biggest problem with uncured epoxy..i just don,t mix enough..it happens too often and once is too often..lol.

Date: July 25, 2019 12:59PM

Rocky, just like to add that i think those epoxy packs are great..i buy a dozen at a time and weigh each packet..so far they are exactly 6 grams allowing for the wrapper..so when i get an uncured mix i know it,s because i didn,t stir the components enough..it,s not because of too little component, one or the other..it,s my fault..lol.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: July 25, 2019 04:37PM

Whenever I mix thread coating epoxy, I use equal parts of A and of B. Then, using a craft stick mix slowly for at least 120 seconds or 2 minutes as measured by the clock. More is fine as well. I frequently wipe the stir stick off on the edge of the mixing cup. I also frequently scrape the sides of the mixing cup to insure that 100% of the mix is mixed slowly. I use the plastic sample cups from the local deli. I buy them a box at a time from the deli.

I used to just mix it up until it looked mixed, but never timed it. After having one bad experience with inadequately mixed epoxy, I always use the clock on the wall to time myself and to avoid under mixing the epoxy.

Best wishes.

Date: July 28, 2019 12:40PM

Well I went over the uncurled thread wrap with Thread Master. Cured up fine. I guess I’ll dig my other packets out . Thanks

Date: July 28, 2019 02:07PM

the only reason packetpoxy doesn,t cure is because it,s not mixed long enough..

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster