I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Is tail stock really neccessary for turning cork handle?
Posted by: Alex Corvin (---.bb11352.ctm.net)
Date: July 24, 2019 03:43AM

As title, , if I decide to turn the handle myself for spey rod, is tail stock neccessary ?

I have the ALPS Power wrapper, which could be added the ALPS tail stock (another $165, quite expensive )

I know the tail stock is used to hold the other end of the mandrel / blank.

But I check the Mudhole video and they turned handles on the "RBS handle turning kit" which the mandrel is just resting on a simple stand. (I think the stand from ALPS is even better with wheels.....)

Thoughts?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Is tail stock really neccessary for turning cork handle?
Posted by: Mark Hahn (---.ga.at.cox.net)
Date: July 24, 2019 04:27AM

I've used a tail stock on my power wrapper and it worked fine. I've used the drill kit from Flex Coat and it works OK. I eventually got a lathe after looking for a couple years for a great deal. I preferred not to have that much dust in the same place I am wrapping my rods.

Posted by: Alex Corvin (---.bb11352.ctm.net)
Date: July 24, 2019 05:35AM

So tail stock is not really neccessary ?

Posted by: Jonathan Hotham (165.225.0.---)
Date: July 24, 2019 08:43AM

Alex Corvin Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> So tail stock is not really neccessary ?

Alex, it is going to depend how long your grip is and how quickly you want to shape it. The main issues will be deflection and out of balance. If you have a long grip it is more likely to be out of balance and the rod will want to flex as you apply any force to sand or otherwise shape your grip. It can be done without a tailstock at lower speeds and with proper precautions. If you already have the rod lathe just give it a try. I use a mini wood lathe, same as Mark above. It keeps the mess away from my wrapping area and has plenty of power and is very rigid.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: July 24, 2019 08:52AM

Alex,
A tail stock is not necessary to turn a grip.
But, it is necessary to supply the non chuck end of the mandrel and the grip that is being turned.

For example, yesterday, I did a rod repair on a telescopic rod that was 9 feet long. I used my turning motor on my power wrapper to power the rod. I removed the butt cap and inserted a tapered mandrel up the rod butt to support the grip.

Then, with the telescopic rod collapsed, I used one of my rod supports to support the end of the short end of the rod that ended just in front of the fore grip. Finally, I used the rest of the rod rests to support the remainders of the 9 foot rod. Then, I taped the 8 foot section rod to the rod rests to insure that the rod itself did not turn. Finally, I went to the grips and went to work on the grips to repair the grip damage that had occurred over time and use. So, although I had the grips and reel seat spinning at 2000 rpm, the rod, with its guides on, remained stationary to avoid and spin damage.

Summary, a tail stock is not necessary, but it is necessary to support the end of the mandrel with a stand, or a set of rollers.

Here is a picture of the lathe that I use. In this picture, I am supporting the end of the wood grip that I am turning. Notice that for the grip itself I am not using the tail stock. Rather, I am using a ball bearing rod rest to support the end of the grip.

[www.rodbuilding.org]

I do use the tail stock to drill the center hole in the grip, but for the actual grip itself, not necessary for the tail stock.

Posted by: Jay Dubay (---.clv.wideopenwest.com)
Date: July 24, 2019 09:31AM

quote {But I check the Mudhole video and they turned handles on the "RBS handle turning kit" which the mandrel is just resting on a simple stand. (I think the stand from ALPS is even better with wheels.....)

Thoughts?} Yep a grip or 2, It's 100% doable, Keep your speeds down until you find a sweet spot take your time. However, I would not want to do a dozen of them, Like this, You May want to take the power wrapper outdoors, To keep the dust down. Maybe even split it, Unscrew the base apart, You wouldn't need all the length anyway.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: July 24, 2019 09:49AM

The only drawback to using a stand instead of a tailstock is that the mandrel is able to "walk" itself out of the chuck. So just take care to note if the mandrel is moving outboard while turning. It can be a good idea to occasionally re-tighten the chuck during your turning operation.

Posted by: John Cates (---.austin.res.rr.com)
Date: July 24, 2019 11:31AM

Perhaps this video can help. No tail stock. No walking out of chuck. No mess in your clean wrapping and finishing room. Breaks down for storage. Buy ours or build your own.

[flexcoat.com]

Flex Coat Company
Professional Rod Building Supplies
www.flexcoat.com

Posted by: Bill Sidney (---.gci.net)
Date: July 24, 2019 12:24PM

any time a spin a shaft , it could vibrate [ not balanced ] an your handle is long [ spey ] be careful , as I see it

William Sidney
AK

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: July 24, 2019 07:45PM

Bill,
Copy that.

But, it is not necessary to use a tail stock to insure that the shaft does not vibrate or bounce. You can use a quality ball bearing rod rest and it will do an excellent job to constrain the end of the spinning shaft.

Be safe

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: July 31, 2019 04:44PM

My answer is..............it's not necessary, it's just the best way!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster