I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Flex Coat Yellowing
Posted by: Brandon Johnson (---.sub-174-217-38.myvzw.com)
Date: July 24, 2019 12:52AM

I have been using Flex Coat Ultra-V for a couple years now and have never had this happen. I recently bought the 4oz. bottles with the 1cc pumps, I have used about 1/4 of it and now when I mix it it is yellow and not even close to being transparent, it also has little white flakes in the resin part A. Has anyone else every had this happen? I use the CRB epoxy mixer and leave it in there for 5-8 minutes, I did an experiment to see if mixing it longer would help and it doesn't matter.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Flex Coat Yellowing
Posted by: Scott Hovanec (---.pitbpa.east.verizon.net)
Date: July 24, 2019 08:05AM

Nature of the beast. All hardeners yellow, some just faster than others. As for the flakes in the resin, a blast of about 5 seconds in the microwave or a bottle soaking in hot water will melt them.

Posted by: John Cates (---.austin.res.rr.com)
Date: July 24, 2019 11:20AM

Brandon

The part B hardener does yellow in the bottle over time or with the introduction of heat. The part A Resin can develop crystals just like honey can over time. You should store them in a cool, dry, dark place. While there is nothing to be done about the yellowing in the bottle, the crystals in the part A can be melted with a hot water bath or as suggested by zapping it in the microwave for a few seconds at a time, not too long because you could develop a hot spot and scorch the resin or melt the bottle. Also, keep in mind that the yellowing in the part B is being viewed through the thickness of the bottle. When it is on the rod it has been diluted with the clear part A and then spread thin on the rod. You will only notice the slight tinge of yellow over white blanks of light colors. We also suggest that you should only buy a quantity that you can use in one year. This will keep the yellowing in the bottle and crystals from happening in the first place usually. Older finish will still set up and work for many years, I am just talking about best practices. If you don't want to use the finish because of this issue you can always use it as a glue for grips and reel seats, it just cures longer. If you would like to talk to me about replacing what you have, call me at 512-858-7742 and I will take care of you with a fresh batch. Thanks for posting and using Flex Coat products.

Flex Coat Company
Professional Rod Building Supplies
www.flexcoat.com

Date: July 24, 2019 01:18PM

John thank you very much for your response. I bought it direct from flex coat on Jan 28th of this year. I have always used a bottle warmer on the resin as I build rods in my basement that is pretty cool. I did not know that heat will turn the harder yellow (lesson learned!). As for the part A would you reccomend I warm it a little longer to get rid of the flakes? I usually warm both the bottles for about 2-3 minutes prior to mixing.

Posted by: John Cates (---.austin.res.rr.com)
Date: July 24, 2019 05:42PM

Yes, I would melt those crystals prior to using again. I also don't recommend warming the entire bottle it you don't have to. I usually measure out the part B first in a measuring cup and then part A. Then I zap it in the microwave for a few seconds depending on the amount, and then I mix it.

Flex Coat Company
Professional Rod Building Supplies
www.flexcoat.com

Date: July 24, 2019 09:23PM

Great advice! Thanks again.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster