I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Travel Surf Rod
Posted by: Joe Bovee (---.sub-174-230-156.myvzw.com)
Date: July 23, 2019 08:42PM

Hello, I’m having difficulty finding many options for a travel surf rod blank. I’m looking for an 11’-12’ spinning surf blank rated for 1-6 ounce that will fit in a suit case. I don’t know much about surf rods, it is a request by a potential client. The only one I have found so far is the Rod Geeks SRF100MMF4 (4-piece)
Are there any other options? And has anyone built or used that RodGeeks blank?
Thank you,
Joe

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Travel Surf Rod
Posted by: herb canter (---.atmc.net)
Date: July 23, 2019 09:31PM

From the Rodgeeks site:

"RODgeeks is brought to you by Axiom North America, LLC, which is a joint venture between St. Croix of Park Falls, and Rapsody, Inc. We own and operate a modern, state-of-the-art fishing rod factory that is located in central Mexico, where we produce several thousand fishing rods every week. We have the equipment, the expertise, and the experience to guarantee that every RODgeeks rod and blank is built to the highest standards"

ENGINEERING EXPERTISE

"St. Croix Fishing Rods is a partner in RODgeeks, and every rod we make is backed by their 70+ years of experience in designing and building the best fishing rods in the world. We know fishing rod technology. And we never compromise".

I have two rods that i built from RodGeeks surf rod blanks , an 8 and 9 footer that are outstanding , i would be shocked if you're disappointed . There are reviews on the Rodgeeks surf rod that comes with two separate tops , one moderate and one moderate fast that you can check out but i don't think there are any reviews on the four piece surf rod . I don't know of any 11 or 12 foot surf rods that breakdown to fit in a suitcase that i would recommend over the RodGeeks model .

Actually i believe CTS of New Zealand would design and build you a 4 piece surf rod in the 11 or 12 foot length , Herb ordered me a few CTS surf rod blanks and i'm extremely happy with those , contact Herb L at the below website :

[hnlrodblanks.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/23/2019 09:39PM by herb canter.

Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (---.lightspeed.rcsntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: July 23, 2019 10:38PM

Thanks Herb.
Herb

Posted by: Bob Ginther (162.245.179.---)
Date: July 25, 2019 10:35PM

Joe, I wonder if the RodGeeks 4 pc blank you cited is the same blank used in the St Croix Triumph 4 pc travel surf rod. It has the same ratings. If so that is a very good travel surf blank. I use the St Croix for Rooster fishing in MX and know several experienced captains etc in MX that love that rod for that purpose. If you have the budget you also should check out the Century travel surf blanks, but I don't know if they have any in the length you are looking for. Century does have a Sling Shot 12'6" 5 pc travel rod but I don't now if they sell the blank.

Posted by: Joe Bovee (---.sub-174-230-26.myvzw.com)
Date: July 29, 2019 04:34PM

Bob, I believe that the St. Croix triumph would be the same blank as the rod geek. Thank you for guys for the reviews and information.

Posted by: Barry Weaver (---.hsd1.pa.comcast.net)
Date: July 30, 2019 08:55PM

I would also recommend CTS i have build on them and they are great, and the guys loved them.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster