I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

ProKote & TM Lite
Posted by: Chris Carlyle (---.nctc.com)
Date: July 22, 2019 05:38PM

Hello gents,
I have ran into an issue related to ProKote finish. I have used it without much issue but the last order I received appears to have some issues. No worries, was ready to try another brand anyway so I have ordered some TM Lite as I have read many rave reviews on it. Here is my question...I have a build that is 1 coat in of ProKote which is where I noticed the issue. Can I recoat an existing ProKote finish with one or more additional coats of TM lite without any issues? I am hoping the answer is yes, but if there is some specific prep to the existing finish that would be recommended, I would like to do so. The existing finish looks decent, where I really ran into issues was severe fish eye on the butt section. I have already removed the wraps and finish from the butt and have re-wrapped without any finish at all however the guides have an existing ProKote finish.

Thanks in advance!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: ProKote & TM Lite
Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.97.252.156.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: July 22, 2019 07:51PM

Yes, you might want to scuff the coated parts lightly with a scotchbrite pad if the finish is more than a few days old before re-coating. You will like the TM lite!

Posted by: Donald La Mar (---.lightspeed.lsvlky.sbcglobal.net)
Date: July 22, 2019 08:30PM

Hold on. Fisheye is usually the result of a contaminate, such as silicone, not playing pretty with the epoxy. Said another way, epoxy does not just decide to fisheye to spite a rod builder. While I too prefer TM, a change to TM might not solve your problem. I encourage you to give some thought to the cause of the fisheye and eliminate the source of contamination else you risk more fisheyes.

Posted by: Chris Carlyle (---.pool.dsl.nctc.com)
Date: July 22, 2019 09:15PM

I definitely have contamination in my existing bottles of prokote. Not sure how it happened but it has been trashed. The last 3 builds had the same problem using new brushes from the same batch. Just starting fresh and thought I would give TM a try. I realize that the prokote product didn’t cause my fisheye problem.

Thanks for the input, I appreciate it. Great knowledge here and I value everyone’s opinions.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/22/2019 09:17PM by Chris Carlyle.

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.97.252.156.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: July 22, 2019 09:24PM

I believe he tore off the fish-eyed section and re-wrapped, didn't think to warn him about checking for the source! Better choice of finish either way.

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: July 22, 2019 09:26PM

Did you use medical syringes to measure your epoxy? If so that could be the source of contamination. Most medical syringes are siliconized to prevent any type of sticking.
Norm

Date: July 22, 2019 09:34PM

No sir, I use syringes from Mudhole. Even tried a fresh set.

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: July 22, 2019 10:27PM

It is unlikely that the contamination is in the epoxy, fisheyes are mainly caused by surface contamination.

Posted by: John Cates (---.austin.res.rr.com)
Date: July 23, 2019 11:29AM

Yeah, silicone contamination can come from many places. Medical syringes, decals, monofilament, WD-40, dirty hands, I have talked to a few builders that build close to their kitchen and cooking oil that is airborne can cause fisheyes. No matter what epoxy finish you use you will have to address the contamination issue. Keep your finishing and wrapping room clean and free of possible contaminants. Another one is Armour All for you car's interior. Once Roger let his kids barrow his van and they had it detailed before they returned it. When Roger looked inside and saw the glisten of the dash, console, steering wheel, etc... I thought he was going to cry. He even talked about selling the van briefly. Moral of the story is: Silicone = Bad Finish

Flex Coat Company
Professional Rod Building Supplies
www.flexcoat.com

Posted by: Donald La Mar (---.lightspeed.lsvlky.sbcglobal.net)
Date: July 23, 2019 01:10PM

Phil E is correct; it is not very probable the contamination is confined within the bottles of ProKote epoxy. And John C is correct that contaminates can be anywhere and everywhere. Some furniture polishes, such as Pledge< will do unpleasant things to epoxy if it settles on your rod or you touch a piece of furniture dusted using Pledge and then touch your rod. Some clothes dryer sheets used to reduce static contain silicone. Again, unless you discover and mediate the contamination source you are at risk for more fish eyes.

Posted by: Bob McKamey (---.se.biz.rr.com)
Date: July 23, 2019 01:24PM

Spray Air Fresheners are also one that attributed to fish eye contamination for me during a finishing process.

Date: July 23, 2019 10:14PM

Thanks sincerely to all for the input. I have been thinking about this after reading all of the suggestions. And I think I may have narrowed down the source of my contamination. I switched to a different type of tape that coincided with when this problem surfaced. After some research on how various adhesive tapes are manufactured, I found that some utilize silicone in the adhesive. This makes a ton of sense as I noticed this mainly on butt wraps and areas where I was applying decals. I am moving forward on this build with the TM lite anyway and NOT using the tape I have used recently. I hope to be back to a beautiful finish.

Thanks again for all the input!

Posted by: Bob McKamey (---.se.biz.rr.com)
Date: July 24, 2019 09:19AM

Hello Chris - As a alternative to tape, here is a couple of links to various sizes of tubing and also bands for holding the guides in place - [www.mudhole.com] & [www.mudhole.com] - The tubing comes in various inside diameters, according to the outside diameter of the rod blank. You can cut to the length you need per the length of the guide foot. Just snip off when you have wrapped your thread up to the tubing or band, then continue the wrap. Thank You

Bob McKamey
Mud Hole Custom Tackle
bobm@mudhole.com

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/24/2019 10:46AM by Bob McKamey.

Date: August 03, 2019 01:39PM

I wanted to follow up on this thread. I did find that the silicone was coming from the tape I was using, problem solved. Also, I received the TM Lite that I ordered and I have done 2 rods with it. Though I liked ProKote, it was all I had ever used (been building about 2 years). I likely will be sticking with the TM Lite moving forward. I feel like it works a bit better for me. Thanks again for all of the suggestions.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster