I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Best tool for cutting EVA
Posted by: Adam S McClain (---.bla1.nsw.optusnet.com.au)
Date: July 21, 2019 01:49AM

Probably been asked a 1000 times but what is the best tool that leaves the cleanest, straitest cut for EVA.

Ive been using the D thread while turning on the lathe. This is ok but looking for a more precise method to keep everything square and straight.

I've read Jap pull saws with a fine TPI on a jig work well?

Cheers

Adam

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Best tool for cutting EVA
Posted by: David Baylor (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: July 21, 2019 07:32AM

I hate to even say it because it's not something that people commonly have, but if you happen to have one ... a power miter box is going to give you the cleanest, straightest and most precise cut. The thing that I have found to be most important in getting a nice square cut through the entire thickness of the piece, is that your cutting implement needs to be rigid.

I haven't tried size D thread, but I have tried using 65# test braided fishing line, and you've probably found out the same thing I have. That even though it makes a nice clean cut, I can't keep it from bowing at times as it's getting deeper into the piece. And when it bows it makes that little scoop or bulge near the center of the piece. As for the fine tooth saw and jig you mentioned, I have tried using a coping saw with a super fine tooth blade, and it worked pretty well, but not as well as a plain old utility knife.

Slip it on a mandrel, chuck it up in your lathe (I use my power wrapper) and you're good to go. It works great. The only thing is, EVA dulls the blade fairly quickly so if you have a lot of cutting to do, you'll want a good supply of replacement blades.

Posted by: John DeMartini (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: July 21, 2019 09:30AM

I use a lathe to cut the ends and shaping. I use an X-acto knife as a lathe tool bit. The X-acto knife is secured in the tool bit holder and the cut is made at high speed. The trick is as David B said the implement used must be held rigid for best results.

John

Posted by: Bill Marchisella (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: July 21, 2019 11:47AM

The best tool to cut eva is the Marchisella eva cutting tool; it also cuts cork by the way .The tool was featured in Rodmaker magazine volume 21 issue 5. along with an article on eva techniques It is very accurate and safe tool to use.

Posted by: Robert A. Guist (---.triad.rr.com)
Date: July 21, 2019 01:37PM

Hello All.

Bill's machine set-up works good, I tried it for kicks, works good Bill!

I use two pieces of wood dowel 1/2" X 4" (you can use whatever fits your hand best) with a hole drilled in the center, I use 12" of 80# wire between the two wood dowels.

You just hold the handles (Wood Dowels) mark your EVA cutting spot spin the EVA on your lathe (what-ever kind that may be) and check that you can see the line clearly when you are spinning, if you can see a line just line up the 80# with the line and

press the tight (yes hold the 80# stretched tightly) 80# against the line till you hit the dowel, then pull out, shut down the lathe and see how well you did.

Tight Wraps & Tighter Lines.

Bob,

New Bern, NC.

Date: July 21, 2019 03:27PM

Adam said he was looking for the straightest cut he could get in eva. The Marchisella eva cutting tool will do that every time. When you use a piece of string or wire or a utility knife held in your hands, you will only produce good results some of times not all of the time,

Posted by: Mark Talmo (71.147.59.---)
Date: July 22, 2019 12:31AM

Without using one, I cannot imagine any EVA cutting tool performing as well as Bill Marchisella’s design which was featured in RodMaker Magazine. Great job, Bill!!! Although I use very little EVA or Hapalon, Bill’s system appears to be so good that I will employ the concept while designing a cork cutting fixture for my own use. Thanks again, Bill!!!

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Date: July 22, 2019 10:43AM

Mark,
Thanks for the compliment. The Eva cutting tool that I invented is very accurate. I wish more rod builders would try it. It can be adapted to most lathes with a little ingenuity.Thanks again.

Date: July 22, 2019 09:28PM

Bill Marchisella Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Mark,
> Thanks for the compliment. The Eva cutting tool
> that I invented is very accurate. I wish more rod
> builders would try it. It can be adapted to most
> lathes with a little ingenuity.Thanks again.

Thanks for the input guys much appreciated.

Bill where do I find information on your cutting tool?

Cheers

Adam

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: July 22, 2019 09:57PM

Here’s a picture from Photos section showing the cutter.
[www.rodbuilding.org]
Norm

Date: July 23, 2019 03:33PM

Norman, thanks for steering Adam to my photos. I had forgotten that they were there. Adam, those photos show the tool adapted to a Renzetti lathe. I think with a little ingenuity, it can be adapted to any lathe. If you have any questions, feel free to contact me via email.

Date: July 23, 2019 08:38PM

Great thanks Bill,

Looks pretty east to set up.

Is that just single strand stainless wire?

Date: July 24, 2019 04:10PM

Adam your right it is 32 lb test single strand stainless wire. That cutting tool in the photos I been using for over twelve years and have not broken the wire yet.

Date: July 25, 2019 09:19PM

Thanks Bill I'll be making something up this weekend.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster