I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Spiral guide vs conventional
Posted by: James Clark (---.mobile.uscc.net)
Date: July 20, 2019 01:43PM

I have been reading a lot of posts about spiral guide setups. I know the benefits whilst fighting a fish, but for a bass fishing rod does the spiral setup a benefit or detriment to casting? I fish a lot of Texas rig worms with 1/8 oz weight and 7.5" worms.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Spiral guide vs conventional
Posted by: Mark Talmo (71.147.59.---)
Date: July 20, 2019 03:01PM

James,
A properly set up spiral-wrapped rod will cast as far as a rod with conventional guides-on-top. I am such a proponent that I think a spiral-wrapped rod should be considered conventional. However, the lighter the rod the less the benefits are noticed with spiral-wrapped guides due to the smaller fish not loading the rod as much, creating torque to twist the rod. I used to think spiral-wraps were unnecessary for rods under 20lb but have changed my mind. Since there is no loss of casting distance, why not install the guides where they are the most effective; on the bottom. Just my opinion.

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Date: July 20, 2019 03:55PM

Thank you for your input Mark. What layout would you use? I am just learning of these. I am already planning on re wrapping an 8ft Lamiglass 7 power big bait special. It will be done with micrguides. What layout would you recommend here? I bought this rod diet cheap due to it having mis-matched guides but otherwise perfect.

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: July 20, 2019 06:13PM

I only build bass rods, and with the exception of 2 rods.
I only build rods with spiral wrapped guide trains and have done so since 1979

Date: July 20, 2019 06:32PM

This is going to be my first big overhaul. I also have an 8ft heavy action blank to build, but thought I would do a couple rebuilds before starting from scratch. Waiting on mudhole to convert a factory spinning rod to microwave guides, one of the running guides in my set came in with the ceramic broken, and converting another to Kr concept.

Posted by: Mark Talmo (71.147.59.---)
Date: July 20, 2019 11:37PM

James,
The Fuji KR Concept is so awesome, especially the “Rapid Choke” aspect, I employ the theory on all of my builds, even if using size 6 runners rather than true micro guides. I feel confident the theory carries over well to spiral-wraps also. While unfamiliar with your blank choice, and I do not know your definition of “heavy action”, consider double foot KWs for the first two or possibly three guides (12-8-6 or 10-8-6?) followed by KBs and KTs to the top. See my replies to Gary Kilmartin’s recent post, “Simple Spiral Question” concerning spiral guide orientation. My novice suggestions may be reputed (accepted and welcomed) by the veterans. We are all here to learn.

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Date: July 21, 2019 12:21AM

Sorry, I didnt read my post before I hit send, that was supposed to say heavy weight fast action.

Posted by: Bill Sidney (---.gci.net)
Date: July 21, 2019 12:05PM

will really helps on the heavy weight rods, so it won't twist when trying to landing large fish , out side of that it is a coin toss, as I see it .

William Sidney
AK

Posted by: Jacob Nebeker (---.sub-174-222-130.myvzw.com)
Date: July 23, 2019 11:56AM

Go KR 6RV and your choice of runners size wise 2-3 KB then KT out. insize of your choice. I perfer 4.5 as they arent so hard to thread your line through.

Date: July 23, 2019 07:43PM

The first one I do is going to be an 8ft lamiglass 7 power bug bait special. This rod will have an Abu Garcia 5600 reel and be used mostly for heavy lure bass fishing. I was thinking of going 6-5-4. Is the 6 big enough for this setup and what size bumper guide would I need?

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: July 23, 2019 08:20PM

You really only need two guide sizes. No need to use every available size. Butt guide, then drop one or two sizes and continue on out.

Date: July 23, 2019 09:20PM

What about bumper guide size?

Date: July 23, 2019 11:17PM

Size doesn't matter much as you're only trying to keep the line from rubbing the blank. You want it to sit low and close and close to the blank so smaller is generally better. You can even bend the guide to get the ring down very close to the rod blank.

Date: July 23, 2019 11:47PM

Thank you very much Tom. You have been a big help on laying this out. I hope to get this ready this weekend. One last question, do you think the size 6 is correct for the reel I am planning on using with this rod? I also have a 7 and 8 that i could use as the stripper guide.

Date: July 24, 2019 09:51AM

If the line does not contact the blank between the reel and the butt guide when the rod is fully loaded, you're likely okay. Butt guide location has a lot to do with the size guide you need there. Keep in mind that for all intents and purposes, the level wind ring on the reel has already brought the line under control.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster