I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Fly Rod Hook Keeper
Posted by: Gerald Keister (107.190.196.---)
Date: July 20, 2019 10:55AM

Has anyone seen a small snake guide used as a hook keeper on a fly rod. Thank you

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Fly Rod Hook Keeper
Posted by: Donald La Mar (---.lightspeed.lsvlky.sbcglobal.net)
Date: July 20, 2019 12:59PM

Yep. Looks odd (to my eye) but it works for those who think there ought to be hook keepers on fly rods. I do not - think they are more risk to fisherman and rod than benefit.

Posted by: Gerald Keister (107.190.196.---)
Date: July 20, 2019 01:36PM

I thought the same. Thank you,

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.adr01.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: July 20, 2019 02:07PM

I leave them off and use the first or second guide frame for a keeper, wrapping the leader back over the reel then up to the guide, keeps the leader knot out of the tiptop and guides.

Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (---.lightspeed.rcsntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: July 20, 2019 10:47PM

Gerald.
A hook keeper will just get in the way - especially if it's a saltwater rod.
I use a neoprene "O" ring forced over the fighting butt install the reel forward of the ring.
Just hook the fly onto the ring and tension the line.
herb

Posted by: Bruce Tomaselli (---.sub-174-229-131.myvzw.com)
Date: July 21, 2019 07:46AM

I don't put them on all rods, but I'm fine with using a hook keeper, too. To me it doesn't make much difference.

Date: July 21, 2019 08:26AM

If you want a keeper, REC makes one of the same material as their guides. Its angle should make it shed line well, also.

Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (---.lightspeed.rcsntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: July 21, 2019 10:04AM

I bought some REC keepers - too small for saltwater - if that where rod will be used.
The ring type may be O.K. But the jingling would drive me mad
Herb

Posted by: John DeMartini (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: July 21, 2019 10:11AM

My suggestion is to install the guide keeper but don't apply the finish. Fish the rod, relocate the keeper if necessary and if it works out then final finish the wrap.

You have nothing to loose because a temporary try out does not permanently alter the rod if you decide to change your mind.

John

Date: July 21, 2019 02:11PM

Herb, even the larger one?

Posted by: John Van Emmerik (---.static.reno.nv.highlandswireless.com)
Date: July 21, 2019 09:17PM

There is a small snake guide hook keeper on my Walton Powell 9 ft. 5 wt. fly rod circa 1978. My first graphite rod bought straight from the Powell Co. as Walton only sold direct to customers. Just my preference but I don't use keepers. .

Date: July 22, 2019 06:41AM

I think the size of the REC keeper may be a moot point; they are not even listed with REC any more. But one of their single foot wire guides would work about as well. The reason I liked the REC was that I could trust it for corrosion resistance. Other keepers don't usually specify their metallurgy other than "stainless steel," and some are not very good for corrosion resistance. I've used ceramic ring fly guides on the underside of casting rods, and find they work just fine. And I know what their metallurgy is.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: July 23, 2019 01:00PM

Rather than using a snake guide, just use a conventional small guide and you will be set. A snake guide can cause the hook to rotate and jam next to the blank.
Your choice.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster