I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pac Bay wrapper
Posted by: Gary Michael (38.83.148.---)
Date: July 18, 2019 10:37AM

I just inherited an older Pac Bay power wrapper with 8' bed that I updated with Alps newest chuck. That problem I have on the older wrapper is the older dryer motor seems to run one direction and when a little pressure is applied it will go the other direction or back and forth as pressure is applied. I have always used a BBQ motor for drying and never ran into this. I guess I need a new dryer motor??? Do the new dryer motors do this?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Pac Bay wrapper
Posted by: Ross Pearson (---.dlth.qwest.net)
Date: July 18, 2019 11:11AM

Many of the finishing motors I have will reverse direction as well. It is actually a nice feature to help counteract sagging to one axis.

Posted by: Marcos Rodriguez (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: July 18, 2019 11:24AM

I have the alps wrapper. Same drying motor. Only issue with it , is when i do a large hook gaff. Weight of hook wont allow full rotation. Besides that i like the reverse option. I usually apply finish under foot control. Allows for clean lines and faster application. Then swap belt to dryer motor. Or swap to a stand alone dryer.

Posted by: Marcos Rodriguez (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: July 18, 2019 11:24AM

I have the alps wrapper. Same drying motor. Only issue with it , is when i do a large hook gaff. Weight of hook wont allow full rotation. Besides that i like the reverse option. I usually apply finish under foot control. Allows for clean lines and faster application. Then swap belt to dryer motor. Or swap to a stand alone dryer.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: July 18, 2019 11:36AM

If you can somehow manage to counterweight the gaff hook you may suddenly find that the motor will easily turn it.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: July 18, 2019 12:09PM

Gary,
The simple solution for your issue is to put a different type motor on the dryer.

The motors used on these and many other dryers are called timer motors.

If you pick up a capacitor start motor of the appropriate rpm, you will solve your problem.

You can also install a 12 volt dc motor as well. If you install a 12 volt dc motor you can just reverse the polarity of the applied voltage to the motor and reverse the direction of the motor.

But, for either of these type motors, the motor will not reverse direction, no matter the pressure.

Posted by: Lance Schreckenbach (---.lightspeed.hstntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: July 18, 2019 01:24PM

Yes this is common with that motor and if you buy a replacement it will do the same thing. It is annoying at times but it will get the job done. I am on my third one and they have all done it. Roger is the master with equipment and what he says will work if you just can't live with it. I paid about 10 bucks for my last replacement so I would base my decision on how long it will last vs cost. I am getting about 4 years out of a 10 dollar drying motor.

Posted by: David Baylor (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: July 18, 2019 03:58PM

I have the same wrapper. I've never put enough pressure on the blank while drying to have the motor reverse directions, but it will reverse directions if I turn it on and off using the switch. I actually think it reversing itself comes in handy. I can control which direction I want it to turn. If I want it to rotate the same way.

But yeah, they will reverse directions. I've just never had it do it while I had a rod turning.

Posted by: Dennis Danku (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: July 18, 2019 10:06PM

To you and anyone else who has this experience, it is called "Paying Your Dues" and this is how the craft has evolved.It is a true old world lesson that is gained by your desire to accomplish a task. You start with whats available, economical, and popular, then when the lessons over you invest in quality drying motors.
Yes a new motor of the same type you now have will still reverse direction under load.
There is no benefit to over paying your dues. Buy a brand name drying motor thats quiet, smooth, and has the option or choice of R.P.M.'s.

Dennis J. Danku
(Sayreville,NJ)

Posted by: Gary Michael (38.83.148.---)
Date: July 21, 2019 10:46AM

Thanks to all. I think I have paid my dues as I have been handwrapping ALL my rods since 1977. Just wanted to try a electric wrapper as age has worked on my fingers and joints. "tight string and smooth finish to all".
Gary Michael

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster