I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Blank Refinifshing
Posted by: Ed Kramer (---.hrbgpa.fios.verizon.net)
Date: July 16, 2019 11:14PM

I am redoing a rod that I built a couple of years ago. I stripped the guides, and in the process, removed some of the original finish from the blank. It is a partial removal at the location of the original guides. The replacement guides will not be in the same location. Is there a good way to restore the finish at the original location of the guides on the blank?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Blank Refinifshing
Posted by: Mark Talmo (71.147.59.---)
Date: July 17, 2019 12:51AM

Ed,
I am puzzled why the rod requires rebuilding after only “a couple of years”. That stated, seriously consider stripping the entire blank of all blank finish down to the last coat of epoxy covering the fibers (CF or FG) originally holding everything together. This really depends on how picky you, or your customer, are. Scraping, NOT shaving, with a single-edge razor blade works exceptionally well and quickly for me without damaging the fibers of the blank while others employ plastic blades or expired credit cards to perform the same task (search rod refinishing). After a coat or two of PermaGloss, the blank will look like new and be ready for guide placement and wrapping. Attempting to short-cut the process by only refinishing the areas under the present wraps will likely prove to be noticeable, if not unsightly, and may end-up requiring more time, but again, it depends on how picky you and/or your customer are. Good luck and let us know what you decided and how it turned out.

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: July 17, 2019 08:50AM

A clear coat or a coat of paint will protect guide wraps but are not necessary to protect a rod blank - other than bamboo. I would not be surprised if a coat of finish adds more weight to a blank than the use of micro guides saves, especially if you go for that deep, glossy finish.

Posted by: Ed Kramer (---.hrbgpa.fios.verizon.net)
Date: July 17, 2019 09:10AM

I wasn't happy with guide placement on the original build. Thus the reason for redoing the guides.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: July 17, 2019 09:33AM

The area where you removed the guides can be masked off and finished with PermaGloss or similar. You may be able to note the area where the blank has been refinished but that's about all you can do unless you want to refinish the entire blank.

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: July 17, 2019 12:53PM

I would strip the blank as Mark suggested. It is not that difficult to do, and goes very quickly. I use a utility knife, it’s just a single edge blade with a handle. Scrape by holding the blade perpendicular to the blank. The finish will come off easily and this does not harm the blank. After scrapping I wet sand with 800 to 1500 grit wet/dry paper. This will remove all traces of old finish, and again this will not harm the blank, it is almost like polishing the blank. After cleaning I usually give the blank a clear coat using Permagloss. However, clear coating is just an option, you can leave the blank unfinished, or you can paint it, your choice. A far as adding weight, it is of interest to know that I have weighed rods before stripping off the old finish, and after stripping and clear coating. In almost every case the rod winds up slightly lighter, mainly because the old finish is heavier than Permagloss. Permagloss is quickly wiped on using a cosmetic sponge, or cheese cloth, or even a coffee filter. When applying, the applicator is held tight on the blank, and it’s like squeezing the finish onto the blank. This gives a very thin, durable, and light finish that looks good. If painting that a different thing.
Norm

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster