I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

KR questions
Posted by: Robert Desrosier (---.dsl.bell.ca)
Date: July 16, 2019 10:16PM

Hi
I am going to build an 8 foot shore rod. It should be like a small surf rod. I have the blank,handle,reel seat and fore grip I also have a 6000 series reel that I would like to use on it. target fish will be walleye but there will also be sturgeon that will pick up the bait. the bigger ones will often self release but the smaller ones will have to be released from shore so big reel to bring bring in quick as possible.
I would like to try KR for reduction guides but the web site only goes to a 5000 reel size, does KR not work with bigger reels? also like to know if line choice is set at mono or braid and no fluorocarbon or fused line.If I understand it correctly web site also says the running guides can be KR or conventional . I have BOG guides left from another rod could I use these? Rod will get hard use with big fish and transporting it so if I could use KR guides I wondered which would be best double or single foot.
think I'm out of questions so now is the time to say thanks in advance for any help or suggestions .
Thanks again,
Robert

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: KR questions
Posted by: Jim Ising (---.dthn.centurylink.net)
Date: July 17, 2019 11:02AM

Robert, KR will work fine as long as you don't try to drive heavy mono or fluorocarbon line from a big spool through a stripper that is too small. KR is a SMALL ring concept and has it's limits. Provided you stay around 14lb mono (or similar fluoro) you will probably be fine with an RV25, RV16 to KW12M to runners. I would not try to do this through a size 20 stripper.

Any runner is fine but BOG will not have the tangle-free feature of a KB, which would be my choice all the way to the top.

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: July 17, 2019 01:24PM

Will you’re using braid or mono/fluorocarbon line? If using braid seriously think about reducing your reel size. A size smaller reel will hold more braid than a larger reel will hold mono or fluorocarbon. So if using braid you really don’t need larger reels, line capacity is there. If you are going to be using heavy mono or fluorocarbon than use the New guide concept.
I have several 8,5 to 9’ heavy salmon rods I use for light surf fishing. All of these rods use single foot KR guides, KL25H, KL12H, KL6L reduction guides, and KB/KT size 5 runners. Works great with a reel size up to 5000 with 30 pound braid. I do like the new corrosion control finish guides, they are a lot cheaper than the titanium framed double foot RV guides and the KW12M or 10M guides. I agree with Jim in using a size 25 KR stripper, and using the KB/KT runners, because of their tangle free design, and durability. You can use any size runner you want from size 6 to size 4.5. I just happen to like the size 5 runners for my light surf rods.
Norm

Posted by: herb canter (---.atmc.net)
Date: July 17, 2019 02:14PM

Agree about down sizing the reel , 6000 size spinners weigh between 18 oz - 23.5 oz with some even pushing 24 oz or more. My choice for an 8 footer would be a reel no larger than a size 5000 with drag capabilities of 20 pounds +.

On a relatively light 8 foot surf type rod you will be dealing with a very bottom heavy outfit if`using a 6000 size reel regardless of what guides you use. If the rod will not be bashed around and abused no need to spend money on the super expensive RV guides , as Norm said the KL25H -KL12H etc... will be plenty strong enough and come with more ceramic ring options NOT just Torzite or SIC .

Line choice is the determining factor here . I use the KR concept on my surf rods , my reel is huge with a 76 mm spool diameter , the reason it works so well is my line choice , always braid and on the light side.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/17/2019 02:15PM by herb canter.

Posted by: Robert Desrosier (---.dsl.bell.ca)
Date: July 17, 2019 11:23PM

Thanks guys,
will take your advice and have ordered a 4000 series reel.I will also use the KB/KT runners and the GPS to set it up.
I think the question on line was poorly worded, we usually use fire line for this type of fishing (wife likes it ) and wondered if this type of fused line could be substituted for braid on GPS software.
I have never used braid so i guess now is a good time to try it.
thanks again really appreciate the help
Robert

Date: July 17, 2019 11:31PM

The fused line would be considered braid in the GPS.
Norm

Posted by: Lance Schreckenbach (---.lightspeed.hstntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: July 18, 2019 01:13PM

The RV guides are expensive but they look so cool on a surf rod. Jim, you think that Fuji may ever think about us cheap Americans and make them with Ti frames and Alconite rings? I already know the answer....LOL

Posted by: Johnny Tan (207.189.24.---)
Date: July 18, 2019 01:23PM

Quick question. Is size 4 too small for the runner?

-Johnny

Posted by: herb canter (---.atmc.net)
Date: July 18, 2019 03:41PM

Johnny Tan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Quick question. Is size 4 too small for the
> runner?
>
> -Johnny

Depends what line , if light braid size 4 will work fantastic , size 4 is the smallest Fuji recommends according to the info on their website " Anglers Resource" . I use size 5 KB's for my choke guides and size 5 KT's for my runners and love them on my surf and inshore rods , i'm a light braid aficionado but i never go so light that i can't get fish in very quickly .

Date: July 18, 2019 03:53PM

12 - 15 lbs mono line will be using on my 8 foot rod. The choke guide will be KB 6. I just accidentally ordered a few of Pacific Bay fly guides size 4w. It is really tiny. If it is too small, I will return it and exchange for KB5.

Thanks,

Johnny

Date: July 18, 2019 06:30PM

Since the PacBay F4w does not have a ceramic ring, it’s ID is just about the same as a size 5 ceramic guide. Unless of course you are comparing Torzite or SeaGuide RS guides.
Norm

Date: July 18, 2019 07:36PM

Thanks Norm. Most likely I will return the 4W guides and get the KB5 instead.

Date: July 18, 2019 08:31PM

That is a better choice for your heavier tackle.
Norm

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.lightspeed.miamfl.sbcglobal.net)
Date: July 18, 2019 09:34PM

Chances are the KT would be the right choice for your running guides. The KB "belly guide" is intended for the midsection of the rod where it will see a lot of stress and typically you only use one or two of them. No need to use them all the way to the tip of the rod.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster